You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-05 19:25:35

hobbitman

[Solved] problem with scrolling with high resolution console

Hallo,

I am running Archlinux on a Compaq Presario M2000 laptop with 512 Mb RAM, Sempron processor.
Installation went fine. Installed some extra packages, printer support using CUPS etc without big problems.
Also installed X and xfce.

I am impressed with the speed of the system, and the amount of control one has.

However i have an issue with scrolling in the console when using a higher resolution then 640x480
I have added the line vga=773 to the kernel line in grub.lst to get this higher resolution.

Sure enough system then starts up in resolution of  1024x768.
I also see a line in output of dmesg:
  Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 128x48.

But when scrolling a long text or list the top 5 lines stay the on top, and don't scroll off the screen.
A 'clear' command clears the screen totally, so thats OK. But then again, when catting a long file the first 5 lines stay on top of the screen, while the rest scrolls by.
This also causes full-screen command to mess up, such as using a man page, scrolling forward and then scrolling back.
Strange thing is: after i have used vi, this issue is gone. The screen still is 1024x768, but then behaves as expected.

I have bee looking for a solution for this problem in the forums, on the wiki, on more general linux sites and using google, bur haven't been able to find a solution.

Does anyone have a clue how to resolve this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by hobbitman (2008-10-06 20:37:30)

#2 2008-10-05 22:49:37

byte

Re: [Solved] problem with scrolling with high resolution console

I haven't investigated this further but it's an issue with the framebuffer Arch logo.
Fix it with Shift-PgUp and Shift-PgDn.

#3 2008-10-05 22:57:10

moljac024

If it's a logo issue then try adding "logo.nologo" to your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2008-10-06 20:38:50

hobbitman

Both responsed are solutions to my problem. Thanks.

Board footer