You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-25 20:49:00

DePingus

[ SOLVED ] simultaneous multiple independant desktops

Hi there folks. I'm trying to do something thats maybe a little off the wall.

I have a PC connected to a television (through the SVIDEO of an Nvidia GeForceFX 5600) that a want to use as a media center (sort of). I want to have an Openbox desktop on the TV tailored to media center type stuff (movies, music, pictures, simple cd/dvd burning). I can do this no prob.

BUT at the same time I want to have a separate Openbox desktop for regular desktop type stuff (internet, downloading, file management). This 2nd desktop I want to access on my CRT and remotely (but mostly remotely) via VNC or FreeNX.

I have some of this working but have stumbled a bit. I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to need 2 separate users, one for the TV and one for the CRT/remote. I tried with only 1 user, using Fluxbox on the CRT and Openbox on the TV, but discovered that the GTK themes are the same across both. Which makes the desktops not completely independent. 2 users is seems the best way to guaranty independent settings for ALL my apps. Yes / No?

I currently have my xorg.conf file setup without TwinView. I use Ctrl+Alt+F7 and F8 to switch between CRT and TV. Can I have them both on simultaneously but still be independent of each other? Perhaps only using Ctrl+Alt+F7 and F8 to switch only the input between the 2 (mouse and kb). This isn't so important since I'll usually be accessing the full desktop remotely.

Lastly, remote access to the CRT desktop is done by TightVNC right now, but I have to login locally and start the VNC Server. I did find a script to have the vncserver start as a daemon. So that solves that prob. Before I take tighvnc any further though, I would like to know if switching to FreeNX be a good idea for this setup?

Its a whopper, i know! big_smile
Thanks for all the info!

Last edited by DePingus (2008-10-07 19:27:40)

#2 2008-09-25 21:22:57

pelle.k

Re: [ SOLVED ] simultaneous multiple independant desktops

What you are doing, is in essence a multihead setup. You could attach another keyboard+mouse (or an ir remote) and configure that to be on head 2.
I tried to do this a couple of years back, but with gnome on one head, and openbox on the other. (never got it to work though).
I could have done that using inittab i reckon.
How did you "separate" the two sessions if i might ask?

Edit; i just read you hadn't tried two separate sessions yet! (right?)

Last edited by pelle.k (2008-09-25 21:24:23)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#3 2008-09-25 22:31:46

rostoQ

you need 2 graphic cards (or a card with 2 chips on it), so that each can run an Xserver. This is essentially!
http://www.linuxtoys.org/multiseat/multiseat.html is a quite nice HowTo...
If you just want 2 "seats", i guess its the cheapest to get a sli-mainboard (40€) and two cheap Pci-e cards (30€ each) (they dont have to run in sli mode). Prefably the same, or at least running the same driver/working with same settings.

#4 2008-09-25 22:58:00

pjjanak

Just recently they released something for X that supports multi-seat...mdm I think is what it was called. I don't think you need multiple graphics cards with mdm...but I'm not sure. Take a look see.

Peter

Last edited by pjjanak (2008-09-25 22:58:21)

#5 2008-09-26 23:15:06

DePingus

Thanks for the replys. MDM requires 2 video cards, 2 keyboards, 2 mice. I was hoping that TwinView could handle something like this. But it appears my choices are either Clone or extended desktop. I think I'm just going to forget the CRT desktop (I mean...who uses CRT monitors today anyways!) and just have the TV and the VNC/FreeNX desktop.

Speaking of remoting...any advice on which to use? VNC or FreeNX? I think I would like to have the vncserver (or freenx server/agent/whatever-it-is) start on boot. Also is 2 separate users the best way to go for 2 deparate desktops (taking themes and other program settings into account)?

#6 2008-09-27 09:29:05

Mektub

How about two X servers ? Thats what I am using for 2 completely separate sessions, even though my setup
doenst include a TV.

I am using GDM, and have in /etc/gdm/custom.conf the following:

[servers]

# Also note, that if you redefine a [server-foo] section, then GDM will use the definition in this 
# file, not the GDM System Defaults configuration file.  It is currently not possible to disable a 
# [server-foo] section defined in the GDM System Defaults configuration file.

0=Standard device=/dev/console
1=Standard

The name must be 'Standard', or else if using another name you have to define it.

Like this I have two independent login screens, one in Alt-F7 and the other one in Alt-F8.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#7 2008-10-07 19:27:21

DePingus

2 separate X servers is the way I have it now and it works fine. But I think I'm gonna dump that old CRT monitor anyways and just FreeNX into the desktop as needed from my laptop.

In case any one is interested...
I tried both VNC (NOT tunneled through SSH) and FreeNX. Both were acceptably nimble but FreeNX was faster and just seemed more solid.

Board footer