You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-06 01:54:17

vkumar

Does Gnome slow down?

I've been using Gnome ever since I started with Linux.
I tried Openbox and KDE, but I can safely venture that those experiences lasted less than 5 hours (together).

So my question is this; have any Gnome users here felt Gnome kinda slow down after a while?

I know this depends a lot on the software you use, but it seemed to me on my previous distro - things like GIMP and window borders just started lagging after a while. (I asked my brother, he just told me to switch to Arch...)

Somewhere on Gnome Look, a guy claimed that the Murrine engine was much snappier than Clearlooks. I've tried it out (and I really like it), but I'm not sure if it's the solution I'm looking for.

div curl F = 0

#2 2008-10-06 02:00:17

cardinals_fan

Re: Does Gnome slow down?

GNOME starts out so slow, I have trouble believing it can actually get slower over time.

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

#3 2008-10-06 02:00:50

pointone
Wiki Admin

There should be no reason why GNOME would gradually become *noticeably* slower over time... performance-wise.

I have noticed GNOME slow down innovation-wise over the past few years, with only minor improvements and bug fixes with each release... but I digress!

I've never noticed a major performance difference between GTK engines, despite what everyone else says. Try loading GNOME with a new user account and see if it feels any faster. If so, the "slowness" may be due to GNOME simply reading your hoards of configuration files. You can clean out your .gconf folder if this is the case. Otherwise, I respectfully yield the floor.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#4 2008-10-06 02:07:04

vkumar

Thanks for the tip.

div curl F = 0

#5 2008-10-06 02:23:39

molom
Website

vkumar wrote:

I tried Openbox and KDE, but I can safely venture that those experiences lasted less than 5 hours (together).

Maybe you will like using Fluxbox, Blackbox or ROX, you should try them out tongue
Don't like KDE, why? I was a KDE user until I switched to Gnome, and soon I will try to switch to Openbox. I simply don't like QT3 because it looks very cluttered.

@Cardinals
What DE/WM do you use? Do you use what comes with OpenSolaris' default now?

Last edited by molom (2008-10-06 02:32:39)

#6 2008-10-06 03:46:47

vkumar

The Ophcrack LiveCD uses Fluxbox.. That was my only look at it, and I never really used it after.
OpenBox (I think) is similar to the other *Boxes, except more configurable. I know Flux is a derivative, so I won't try Blackbox.
ROX just doesn't look good at all =p.

If you (molom) are an experimenter, I think you will love openbox. The only thing that turned me off was the fact that I had to edit my menus every time I installed something - and that the panels aren't really as good as gnome-panel. Gnome also makes it easier to use Gtk apps.

Last edited by vkumar (2012-12-06 05:09:32)

div curl F = 0

#7 2008-10-06 04:01:35

freakcode
Website

vkumar wrote:

So my question is this; have any Gnome users here felt Gnome kinda slow down after a while?

I know this depends a lot on the software you use, but it seemed to me on my previous distro - things like GIMP and window borders just started lagging after a while. (I asked my brother, he just told me to switch to Arch...)

Somewhere on Gnome Look, a guy claimed that the Murrine engine was much snappier than Clearlooks. I've tried it out (and I really like it), but I'm not sure if it's the solution I'm looking for.

Can you get more data to help on our diagnosis?

When it feels slow, check CPU usage, memory use (cached and not chached), etc... I recomend "top" for that. Gnome is not more than a desktop, a panel, and some DBus session services running in the background. Changing it for a light WM, like Openbox, don't matter how much people say, only improves memory usage, not how snappier it feels.

Those lags are mostly related to bad Gtk+ themes, some bad app eating your CPU time, or running a compositor (Compiz, etc.) with VSync on.

Last edited by freakcode (2008-10-06 04:02:31)

#8 2008-10-06 04:40:57

molom
Website

vkumar wrote:

If you (molom) are an experimenter, I think you will love openbox. The only thing that turned me off was the fact that I had to edit my menus every time I installed something - and that the panels aren't really as good as gnome-panel. Gnome also makes it easier to use Gtk apps.

That is a major pain if you don't want to waste time, then again it will solve you from having entry problems like many have had with XFCE, Gnome & KDE. I can see why most people that love user friendliness don't use any of the *box's.

Cheers,
molom

Last edited by molom (2008-10-06 04:41:23)

#9 2008-10-06 05:01:32

dmz
Website

vkumar wrote:

The Ophcrack LiveCD uses Fluxbox.. That was my only look at it, and I never really used it after.
OpenBox (I think) is similar to the other *Boxes, except more configurable. I know Flux is a derivative, so I won't try Blackbox.
ROX just doesn't look good at all =p.

I don't like KDE because it waste's space on my screen (windows and panels are too large). I'm sure one can change this, but using the KDE control center is like being raped in a back alley. The icons are kindof weird, and KDE takes up more space and memory than Gnome for sure..

You dont have to edit your menus evertime. Take a look at menu. I have no idea what you mean by "panels aren't really as good as gnome-panel" though. What's so good with that? Personally it's the worst of all panels I've tried. Take a look at pypanel and bmpanel - you really shouldn't be dissapointed.

#10 2008-10-06 15:33:43

mandog

molom like me you are everywhere  I've been using Arch for a long time but only recently started posting I started using Arch as soon as I used Linux its good to play and learn Linux.
Try Lxde its fast and is compatible with most things

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#11 2008-10-06 17:58:35

daf666
Website

vkumar wrote:

Yes. I confirm that I had the exactly same experience on three different machines I used Gnome with, thats the reason I moved to XFCE.
After several days of usage suddenly everything becomes slow, I think it might be a Nautilus slowness related.

#12 2008-10-06 18:40:40

mandog

One of the reasons Gnome slows down is that it keeps adding to the thumbnails folder in your home folder, I do a lot of photography and after a month I had over a 100,000 thumbnails in the folder not only do they take up space but use up time trying to find them you can safely delete them. unfortunately this and other things that are aids to speeding up your pleasure actually end up slowing it down

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#13 2008-10-06 19:03:00

rsambuca

molom wrote:

@Cardinals

Let's not feed the trolls.

#14 2008-10-06 22:54:44

molom
Website

rsambuca wrote:
molom wrote:

@Cardinals

Let's not feed the trolls.

So I'm provoking other users into an emotional response? Its just a small general off-topic question, it doesn't hurt anyone. Mind your own business.

#15 2008-10-06 23:03:11

moljac024

molom wrote:
vkumar wrote:

That is a major pain if you don't want to waste time, then again it will solve you from having entry problems like many have had with XFCE, Gnome & KDE. I can see why most people that love user friendliness don't use any of the *box's.

Cheers,
molom

I've always hatted the cluttered menus of GNOME and KDE. To each his own, I guess...

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#16 2008-10-06 23:22:18

molom
Website

moljac024 wrote:
molom wrote:
vkumar wrote:

Cheers,
molom

I've always hatted the cluttered menus of GNOME and KDE. To each his own, I guess...

I would have to agree with you. Although I prefer the Gnome menus over the KDE menus.

#17 2008-10-07 01:09:01

smakked

I found the same thing with gnome after about 2 weeks use it slowed down, switched to Xfce for now which seems better a stays fast.

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#18 2008-10-07 06:20:02

Noneus
Website

I don't have any slow down problems. And I use GNOME for years. I tried XFCE and it wasn't really faster for me.

#19 2008-10-07 07:48:50

vkumar

Pypanel et all. are very good, but I just like the way my gnome-panel is set up.

The argument is really pointless, because gnome-panel works relatively well under openbox *anyways*. The same goes for Gtk apps, I suppose.
Heh, I'm pretty much conceding the fact that Gnome has no obvious benefits over *any* other dm. Full circle big_smile.

"I've always hatted the cluttered menus of GNOME and KDE. To each his own, I guess"
- and I've always kinda liked them.

I'll look into removing cached items, cleaning up gconf, and deleting stored thumbnails under Gnome and see if I get anything promising. But later. Right now, it's... 3:50 in the morning..

thanks for your feedback

div curl F = 0

#20 2008-10-07 21:29:37

Bestiapeluda

I would really recommend you to try XFCE4. Its light and easy to use.
Beware of bad gtk themes though.

#21 2008-10-07 22:10:07

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I've been using GNOME for some months now (at least since 2.22 was released), and I haven't noticed any slowdown...

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

Board footer