You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-06 21:59:50

colbert

Openoffice memory usage

I have 3 Calc files (.xls) open all the time on my Docs workspace and if I haven't accesed them for a while, when I go to one and want to input some data, the read light on my case (for hd access) gets pretty solid and the program is sluggish. Is there any way to improve this? Is it just OO's design? It's pretty annoying when I'm inputting fields and the app is lagging like crazy just because I haven't used it in a day or two, and takes some inputting/using of the app to "catch up" if you will, and stop the lag.

#2 2008-10-06 22:42:47

Righard

Re: Openoffice memory usage

Sounds to me that there is a memory leak in OO. Don't really believe they designed it to do this smile, can you see if the memory OO is using is slowly growing using 'top'

#3 2008-10-07 07:41:40

JGC
Developer

OpenOffice.org eats quite some memory. When you haven't used OpenOffice.org for 2 days, linux has swapped it out to disk because it doesn't do anything for a long while and memory can be used for something else.
At the moment you switch to OpenOffice.org after a long period of inactivity, the kernel has to free memory and load OpenOffice.org from swap before it can continue. This is the solid harddrive led you see.

#4 2008-10-07 23:14:03

colbert

Thanks for that explanation. Is there any means of getting around that or changing how it behaves or is it just the way OO/its memory access works??

Board footer