You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-08 03:38:43

rsw

Neither bootloader works? maybe this will work for you:

Hey all.  I'd used arch before and loved it so when I got an old HP and went thru the install and everything seemed o.k. I was excited, until grub didn't work.  At first I got the famous and well-documented Error 15, then I got another problem which is harder to describe (but anyone who has had it will know what I mean when I say): "A SCREENFULL OF GRUB."  Finally, I tried lilo which refused to even install for a different reason each attempt.  I had pretty much given up and was about to install Ubuntu (which fails to install on this PC 9/10 times but at least runs ok) when I tried one last thing; using the "install Grub..." option in "More Options (or was it Tools?)" on the Arch CD.  The screen went black and white and real ugly (like with static) and it looked like it didn't work at all.  I pressed enter again and some unreadable text scrolled and when I rebooted Arch loaded up perfectly.  I'm not sure what the problem was but installing Grub via the CD rather than the Arch setup guide did the trick!
Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else having the same problem.

#2 2008-10-08 11:29:43

moljac024

Re: Neither bootloader works? maybe this will work for you:

Well that's is strange.
You also say Ubuntu won't install 9 out of 10 times ?
What's your hardware ?

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-10-08 11:30:02)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

Board footer