You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-11 12:20:47

jinn

firefox QT??

Ive been into kdemod lately and I am starting to like it more, especially after reading that kde4 with qt4 will improve speed and memory efficiancy by 20-30%. What I dont like is using qt apps in gtk environment or gtk apps in qt env..

I have read that there was to be some port of firefox to qt, but could not find much information for it. I just cant live without firefox with its extensions.. But I dont want to use gtk in qt env.. I am thinking of using opera, but I cant find same extensions for it. the extensions I use fore firefox:
foxmarks (read that this should work with opera)
translator (cant find similar plugin)
adblock    (builtin in opera)
password exporter (no idea if its possible in opera)
downthemall (dont know if opera download manager supports resume.)
unplug (cant find similar plugin)

The password exporter is really nice.. Especially when reinstalling OS, I can save all my PWs encrypted and import them again, not having to remember all of them (46 PWs..)..
foxmarks makes all my bookmarks available everywhere..

I also remember from my previous usage of opera that it did not support streaming audio/video as good as firefox did, dont know if this is still true. So does anyone have any suggestions of QT browsers that can do what I like it to do? the best would be the QT port of firefox..

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#2 2007-08-11 12:48:42

retsaw

Re: firefox QT??

AFAIK, the QT port of Firefox didn't get very far, I did look into it myself a while ago.

To better integrate Firefox with KDE I used the tip of the page for the KDEFF theme, although I prefer to use Mostly Crystal theme, and I also have installed the GTK-QT theme engine.  You can get kgtk (for the file dialogs) mentioned on that page from the AUR.

#3 2007-08-11 13:42:24

Pajaro

i got crashes with kgtk and font color issues with gtk-qt-engine (low readability because colors don't apply the same way in qt and gtk)

I ended up using clearlook theme in gtk and klearlook theme in kde, and settings the colors to be the same.

#4 2007-08-11 15:25:47

pelle.k

To better integrate Firefox with KDE I used the tip of the page for the KDEFF theme, although I prefer to use Mostly Crystal theme, and I also have installed the GTK-QT theme engine.

ended up using clearlook theme in gtk and klearlook theme in kde, and settings the colors to be the same.

Why not just install qtcurve? All settings you do to kde qtcurve style (in control center) happens in gtk qtcurve theme as well... You have to change to ctcurve gtk theme with gtk-chtheme (or equivalent) first though...

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#5 2007-08-11 17:07:39

hacosta

i know this is not qwhat you're looking for, but yous should give konqueror a chance, for instance for translator you can type en2es: word and it will translate it (you can even type that in the run command) also, you might want to check out the adblock improvement for konqueror
http://www.kde-look.org/CONTENT/content … -0.0.5.tgz
there's a PKGBUILD in aur
kwallet is just great, and i haven't even seen password exporter, but kwallet is useful for many kde-apps, i use it for knetwork manager (using a very weak local password so it can type my full length passwords for me) and this gives me access to kopete and all the sites, and finally for downthemall just enable kget integration with konqueror and go to tools download manager show all links.. konqueror is much better than some people give them credit for (it's very fast too, except for pages heavy on javascript),most pages work just fine and when webkit is ported it will get even better.. so anyways.. i would just try to use konqueror

#6 2007-08-11 19:35:11

jinn

I like konquerer for its speed and load time when you start it.. But still I need the foxmarks, its so comfortable not to worry about all my favourites. I am the type that formats and reinstalls alot (atleast with windows...) So having my favourites available all the time in a safe server is so nice.. also when I go to school I just install the firefox extension and I have all my favourites there also.

The other plugins also is damn nice. Especially the password exporter. Kwallet will work only for when using Kde or maybe linux, but the password exporter works everywhere. Thats what makes it so nice..

I wish konquerer would use firefox extensions.. then the switch would be obvious..

#7 2007-08-11 20:14:21

N30N

jinn wrote:

I like konquerer for its speed and load time when you start it.. But still I need the foxmarks, its so comfortable not to worry about all my favourites. I am the type that formats and reinstalls alot (atleast with windows...) So having my favourites available all the time in a safe server is so nice.. also when I go to school I just install the firefox extension and I have all my favourites there also.

You could use konquerors del.icio.us bookmarks panel and I'm sure u can find a firefox extention for when your not using linux and/or kde.

#8 2007-08-11 21:25:29

hacosta

well as for the qt port of firefox, all i know is that a couple of years ago some guys made a *"quick and dirty" hack to make gecko use qt, but they never released it.. there was even a dot.kde.org article iirc

*probably cleaner than i'll ever do

#9 2007-08-12 16:42:46

eldarion

Hi,

there are 2 ways to add the same look of kde to your gtk apps:

1. add the same theme to both kde and gtk (try qtcurve)
2. use an engine to translate kde themes to gtk (use gtk-qt-engine)

Tip: if you witch to add anti-aliasing to fonts in gtk apps, add the following
to /etc/fonts/local.conf, inside <fontconfig></fontconfig> tags:

<match target="pattern">
        <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
            <bool>true</bool>
        </edit>
    </match>

Now, for Opera
===============

==> foxmarks - try http://osync.sourceforge.net/

==> translator - Opera supports translation of words or whole pages

==> downthemall - yes, opera supports resume

==> unplug - try http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4243

Last edited by eldarion (2007-08-12 16:46:21)

#10 2007-08-12 16:53:08

eldarion

I hope you switch to Opera smile

Firefox is a great open source project, but opera is faster, more compact, more secure, more light, ...

And the developers care about inovation. A lot of features of the modern browsers were implemented first in opera (for exemple, tab browsing, block images, videos or plugins, ...)

Last edited by eldarion (2007-08-12 16:58:55)

#11 2007-08-12 17:28:44

Snarkout

pelle.k wrote:

To better integrate Firefox with KDE I used the tip of the page for the KDEFF theme, although I prefer to use Mostly Crystal theme, and I also have installed the GTK-QT theme engine.

ended up using clearlook theme in gtk and klearlook theme in kde, and settings the colors to be the same.

Why not just install qtcurve? All settings you do to kde qtcurve style (in control center) happens in gtk qtcurve theme as well... You have to change to ctcurve gtk theme with gtk-chtheme (or equivalent) first though...

qtcurve++

I've been using qtcurve for a while, and love it.  The gtk/gnome save dialogs, etc, still suck to look at, but at least 85% (made up number) of my UI experience is pretty consistent.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#12 2007-08-12 18:27:50

ozar

eldarion wrote:

I hope you switch to Opera smile

Firefox is a great open source project, but opera is faster, more compact, more secure, more light, ...

And the developers care about inovation. A lot of features of the modern browsers were implemented first in opera (for exemple, tab browsing, block images, videos or plugins, ...)

Opera used to be my default browser and I was a registered user back when you had to pay for it, but lately I've not cared much for Opera.  I do keep trying it every 6 months or so, and keep hoping that it will attract me again at some point, but so far, no luck.

In the interim, I continue to experience the same Firefox/KDE issues these other guys do.  Firefox looks great in Gnome, but it sucks in KDE, and the gtk-qt-engine comes with problems of its own.

oz

#13 2007-08-12 18:37:57

eldarion

ozar wrote:

In the interim, I continue to experience the same Firefox/KDE issues these other guys do.  Firefox looks great in Gnome, but it sucks in KDE, and the gtk-qt-engine comes with problems of its own.

I don't kow if i'm just lucky, but i have been using gtk-qt-engine for a long time and i have no issues at all so far...

#14 2007-08-12 20:29:26

jinn

eldarion wrote:

Hi,

there are 2 ways to add the same look of kde to your gtk apps:

1. add the same theme to both kde and gtk (try qtcurve)
2. use an engine to translate kde themes to gtk (use gtk-qt-engine)

Tip: if you witch to add anti-aliasing to fonts in gtk apps, add the following
to /etc/fonts/local.conf, inside <fontconfig></fontconfig> tags:

<match target="pattern">
        <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
            <bool>true</bool>
        </edit>
    </match>

Now, for Opera
===============

==> foxmarks - try http://osync.sourceforge.net/

==> translator - Opera supports translation of words or whole pages

==> downthemall - yes, opera supports resume

==> unplug - try http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4243

Thanks eldarion, this is the info I wished for.. So the equivalent of firefox extensions is called widgets for opera.
You have any idea if there is a password exporter for opera? I could search for the widget but I rather ask you guys.. (lazy..)

There is one more thing. Video / audio streaming in opera.. is it as good as firefox mplayer-plugin?

And the reason I dont want to run gtk in qt env is not because themes does not match (well partly..) but I hate the idea of having the gtk libraries loaded in memory just for firefox.. Takes extra memory, slower startup etc etc.. If everything is QT then the qt libs are loaded in memory and no extra libs needed to be loaded when running apps.

#15 2007-08-12 22:14:50

eldarion

jinn wrote:

Thanks eldarion, this is the info I wished for.. So the equivalent of firefox extensions is called widgets for opera.
You have any idea if there is a password exporter for opera? I could search for the widget but I rather ask you guys.. (lazy..)

Unfortunately i cound't find any equivalent for Opera. I have found some programs for exporting Opera passwords, but they are for Window$ only.

jinn wrote:

There is one more thing. Video / audio streaming in opera.. is it as good as firefox mplayer-plugin?

For flash videos (youtube, etc..) the default flash plugin works. For other videos, try opera-mplayer-plugin from AUR.

Unfortunately, i thing that the only downside of using Opera (and only on Linux) if the poor support for embedded video playing. So i always use Opera, except when a want to play embedded non-flash movies. For that i use firefox with the mplayer-plugin or konqueror with kmplayer.

Last edited by eldarion (2007-08-12 22:27:34)

#16 2008-10-08 14:14:27

Stalafin

What happened to the whole firefox qt thing anyway? Will it be released any time soon? I was searching for news regarding the matter... nothing.

#17 2008-10-08 14:28:40

skottish
Forum Fellow

Stalafin wrote:

What happened to the whole firefox qt thing anyway? Will it be released any time soon? I was searching for news regarding the matter... nothing.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 … to-qt.html

Board footer