You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-08 17:37:13

DarkJoker

Problem with samba

Hi

Ie already tried to put samba working using the instructions on the wiki but without success so i've search for other tuturials. I've found this one but when i try to run

mount -t smbfs -o username=username,password=password //compname/sharename /mnt/share

it gives  me an error

18592: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
SMB connection failed

anyone knows how to fix the problem?
cumps

#2 2008-10-08 17:57:05

scrllock

Re: Problem with samba

From your error, I assume you're running this as root, or with sudo, so the permission error is probably that you don't have proper permissions on the host. Make sure that username and password are correct and the user has read permissions not just for the directory that's shared, but for the share itself (under the sharing tab under properties, assuming you're using XP/Vista). I'm assuming you're using Windows on the host, if so, that should help.

#3 2008-10-08 18:24:49

DarkJoker

scrllock wrote:

From your error, I assume you're running this as root, or with sudo, so the permission error is probably that you don't have proper permissions on the host. Make sure that username and password are correct and the user has read permissions not just for the directory that's shared, but for the share itself (under the sharing tab under properties, assuming you're using XP/Vista). I'm assuming you're using Windows on the host, if so, that should help.

I did nothing on Windows... I was trying to make that "mount" to go test if the connection between my arch and the windows xp on my desktop work fine but after i got that error i didn't even tryed the connection until now, on the tuturial i've read it says that if the server its working it should appear on  the network of windows but when i open the network on windows it shows me nothing :S

#4 2008-10-08 18:34:52

scrllock

I'm not sure what you mean. You won't see the arch system in your network from Windows unless you're running the samba server on your linux system, and running mount from your arch system is using the samba client, not the server.

The tutorial you linked to isn't all that great, and the first thing you get when searching for samba on the wiki is tailored towards configuring a server. Try this link instead:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acc … dows_share

#5 2008-10-08 18:48:09

DarkJoker

i've followed that tuturial and i get this error

Error connecting to <my ip> (No route to host)
22919: Connection to windows213 failed

when i run

smbmount //windows213/Folder2Share /mnt/shares/windows213 -o workgroup=workgroup username=guest

#6 2008-10-08 19:07:08

scrllock

Either one of your systems isn't connected to the network, or the IP/hostname you're using for the Windows host isn't correct. If you are just entering something like "windows213" try entering the actual IP address instead (something like //192.168.1.105/SharedFolder). Resolving windows hostnames from within linux automatically is pretty tricky, and unless you have your own domain set up, is dependent on the capabilities of your router. If you are using static IP addresses and prefer to use names only, make an entry in /etc/hosts like this:

192.168.1.100     myhost.mydomain.com    myhost

Board footer