You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-09 04:52:47

jraab22

another dual monitor topic

I've been looking at the few threads I could find on dual monitor setups and still had a few questions. I work in science and do some bioinformatics and am trying to find the most effective way to use my screens. I have a laptop, and recently got a new desktop to run some of my bioinformatics, it came with a 1650x1050 monitor. I'm generally running firefox plust a bunch of terminals, some sshd into my home or other work box. 

I currently have gnome installed , and have used awesome before, which I really liked, but never found time to fully get it configured.  I very easily used nvidia-settings to setup one big desktop, but it felt a little awkward having two differently sized monitors. I'm looking for the most efficient way to use my laptop with this external monitor,given the different sizes.  Ideally, it'd be easy to switch from single monitor to dual and back depending on if I'm at work.

While I realize most if not all WM/DE can handle dual display, is anyone using a laptop+external situation like this that has a particualr favorite.  I'm learning towards going back to a tiling WM, although I'm not sure how it would handle not having the second display always hooked up. 

Thanks, appreciate any input on setting this up

Board footer