You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-25 17:13:27

random.bits

Installing from an external usb cdrom drive

I am able to boot an external usb cdrom drive but I cannot figure out how to mount that usb cdrom drive to complete the install.

My boot command is:
arch-scsi NEEDUSB=auto

I cannot run loaddisk, as it does not find the usb cdrom, so I cannot load the addon utilities (thus I cannot modprobe usb-storage).

I can run /arch/setup but when it gets to package selection, I am unable to select the CDROM source. This machine is not on the net, so I cannot do a ftp install.

Has anyone else installed ARCH using an external USB cdrom drive ?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 2004-08-25 17:51:23

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Installing from an external usb cdrom drive

Try the 0.7 beta cd, I had submitted a bug about requiring these files and it was closed when the beta was released.  It probably has the drivers you'll need to mount a usb cd.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-08-25 17:57:05

random.bits

Thank you for the information. I'll download the beta and give it a try. I'll post the results later.

#4 2004-08-25 18:55:09

random.bits

Ok, I downloaded 0.7 Beta disk and I am able to boot Arch. I still use

boot: arch-scsi NEEDUSB=auto

I still cannot figure out how to mount the external usb cdrom drive. The setup script does not find the cd rom it booted off of.

What commands do I issue to mount the drive? I cannot see any entries in the /mnt directory nor in /etc/fstab for the usb drive. I do not recognize an appropriate device under /dev. Nothing appropriate under /dev/scsi nor any *sda* style device is visible to me.

I do not think anything is broken, so I must be a newbie when it comes to usb external drives under linux. To be truthful, I generally rely on the hotplugging system to handle this stuff, but during install it is not present.

Thank you for any help!

#5 2004-08-25 21:37:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It looks like the usb/firewire modules weren't included in the right place... I re-opened the bug report.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2004-08-26 14:07:14

random.bits

Thank you Xentac for you help. I looked up the bug report and understand the problem. Now how do I proceed from here?

Any suggestions on a work around? Should I rebuild the 0.7 beta disk with additions to the initrd? Eventually, I will need to install Arch on about twenty standalone systems. They do not have cdrom's in them, and are not on a network. Sounds like I may have to open up the units and plug a cdrom in for the install sad

I was thinking of cloning the disk (i.e. open up unit, take hard drive out, put in another system and clone), but it has been pointed out that doing a basic install is a good way of testing the hardware. It doesn't take very long and we have to do testing of our software anyways.

I open to suggestions!

#7 2004-08-26 16:26:12

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If the 20 systems all have very similar hardware, cloning the disk sounds like an excellent idea.  Just make sure that it's exactly how you want it before you start cloning wink

- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-09-15 13:49:02

random.bits

I have been thinking about cloning the hardware, and unfortunately, that would require pulling the units apart. I am confident that I can do that myself, but I need to get others to do it. We are also going to do a lot of machines.

Options:
1. Fix initrd so that usb/ieee modules are loaded (based on comment on bug report) Any hints on how to do this? I might have to do more learning...

2. Put the units on a network, and do a local ftp install

Assuming I have to do #2, is there any documentation for building a local ftp server? Is the following possible:

boot machine using usb cdrom or usb memory stick (this works)
Point install to a local machine with the install cd mounted and shared via ftp

Thanks

Board footer