You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-26 17:40:37

WakiMiko

Lots of problems ;_; (acpi, network, ac adapter)

Hi,

linux newbie here. I'm trying to get arch working correctly on a Samsung R560 Mebugo.
After some initial trouble I managed to get a 64-bit core system running, although it only boots with "acpi=off", otherwise the laptop would just restart at "Loading standard ACPI modules".
The reason I'm trying so hard to get ACPI running is that if I unplug the AC adapter while arch is running, the system restarts, instead of switching to battery on the fly. I thought that was related to ACPI.

In order to pinpoint the problem I blacklisted all ACPI modules listed on the arch wiki in the rc.conf, and unblacklisted them one at a time. Turns out the ones i have problems with are "processor", "thermal" and "video". By blacklisting those I'm at least able to boot the laptop with ACPI enabled. Unfortunately that didn't fix the AC adapter problem. Instead it produced a new problem: My ethernet card (Marvel Yukon 88E8055) isn't recognized with ACPI enabled. There is no "eth0" in ifconfig. The card works fine without ACPI though.

So my main problems are:

* Laptop reboots when AC adapter is unplugged
* ACPI modules processor, thermal and video cause a restart on boot, unless they are blacklisted
* Ethernet doesn't work if ACPI is enabled

According to the wiki, lots of ACPI problems come from a linux unfriendly DSDT. So I followed the instructions on the gentoo wiki to recompile my DSDT, and the iasl compiler only throws out one warning:

dsdtl.dsl 3312:                                    Or (TMOR, TMPV) 
Warning 1105 - Result is not used, operator has no effect ^

I doubt all my problems are caused by this little warning.

Any help is greatly appreciated. smile

Last edited by WakiMiko (2008-09-27 00:27:56)

#2 2008-09-30 01:16:53

WakiMiko

Re: Lots of problems ;_; (acpi, network, ac adapter)

I just tried Ubuntu, and while i have the same problem with my network card, it at least boots with acpi enabled without the need to blacklist certain modules.

and i can also unplug the AC adapter without problems. So this should be possible to get to work in arch too, right?

#3 2008-10-10 20:06:13

blizz

Re: Lots of problems ;_; (acpi, network, ac adapter)

hi, i have the same problems, have samsung r560 too and problem is with 'loading acpi modules' where laptop is restarting, the only thing, which helps, is adding 'acpi=off' to grub. And when I unplug AC adapter, notebook is restarting. Today I have tried install new kernel, but in testing repository was 2.6.27-1 so it is RC1, right? I read that in new kernel is support for wifi intel 5100 and something new in ACPI, but acpi doesn't work:( please help, my arch version is 64bit overlord with the newest packages from testing.

Board footer