You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-10 17:20:17

ezzetabi

makepkg does not remove info files by itself any more?

makepkg does not remove info files by itself any more?

I noticed makepkg does not remove info files any more... I have no problem doing rm -rf infodir... yet it is strange.
What does it mean? Bug? Change in some policy? Some new unwritten and unknown to most rule? Magic? New shady drug?

#2 2008-10-10 17:40:47

foutrelis
Developer
Website

Re: makepkg does not remove info files by itself any more?

The default behavior was recently changed to keep the doc and info directories. This can be overridden in the PKGBUILD by specifying:

options=(!docs)

or in makepkg.conf (around line 70):

OPTIONS=(strip !docs libtool emptydirs zipman)

#3 2008-10-10 17:42:25

ezzetabi

Good to know, but why this change? Wasn't an arch choice remove info and doc files?
So should I always write !docs?

#4 2008-10-10 17:49:56

rson451
Website

It was changed because so many people asked for it, I presume.  Leaving the docs doesn't hurt, plus everyone can just bang docs in their makepkg.conf if they want. (I do)

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#5 2008-10-10 18:13:20

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Does this mean that official packages will now contain docs? If so, what's the best way to remove the them? I'm hoping that it isn't to make all the pkgs myself.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-10 18:13:47)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#6 2008-10-10 18:34:33

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yes, official packages will contain docs. Why do you want to remove them? Do you remove man pages? There are a hundred arguments that I could use here. How about: do you know you have info installed? It's been installed all along. Why haven't you complained? The texinfo package is 2.3 megs. My entire /usr/share/info dir is 20 megs in size. /usr/share/man is 57 megs.

Do you REALLY want to do all that work to save 20 megs of space? Oh yeah, don't forget to remove texinfo if you do that

Seriously, I have never ever heard a good argument for getting rid of these docs. "We always did it" or "I don't want them" is NOT a valid argument. Look at all the crap in /usr/share that's there that you don't use and don't need. For instance /usr/share/kbd/keymaps. Come on, who doesn't have a fairly standard keyboard these days? There's around a hundred keymaps that no one in their right mind running arch would EVER need. And no one complains about those, do they?

#7 2008-10-10 19:33:40

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Um, first off, I wasn't complaining. It was a question.
Second, I guess I bought into the Arch argument for removing them for the last x years, so redirect your reaction towards whoever came up with that and then give them a good elbow now that you've changed that.

Tbh, if I knew exactly what I could get rid of, I would. I just don't feel like spending hours on trial-and-error removals. No, it doesn't really matter and I have more hard disk space than I'll ever need in the foreseeable future. I just don't see any reason to keep those bits if I never use them. Yeah, not removing docs makes the packages more vanilla too and no, with modest modern hardware, it doesn't make a difference (the same argument makes for lazy coding, but hey).

Other random points:
I access man pages from the console and fairly often. I access docs online when I need them (which was part of the original argument, whatever validity you want to ascribe to that).

I get that you're probably under stress as the overlord etc, but ffs, you really need to tone down your replies on the forum. Every time someone's post could even remotely be construed as doing or asking for something that you wouldn't do yourself, you come off with a belittling attitude. Were there some TOS that said that everyone who isn't a minion clone of the overlord is automatically an idiot, even if it's just a question? I appreciate your unseen work but I don't see how that gives you a free ticket to pissing on the generally helpful community ethos.

The only quasi-legitimate thing that I wrote that could have set you off is probably "I'm hoping that it isn't to make all pkgs myself". Mentally add a smiley of your choice onto that if you took it the wrong way.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-10 20:10:51)

#8 2008-10-10 19:57:02

Stefan Husmann

This has been discussed at length and in various threads. So be aware of rough tone if you start to discuss something like that again and again. And, putting !docs in the makepkg.conf as mentioned above isn't that hard, is it?

#9 2008-10-10 20:15:28

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Stefan Husmann wrote:

This has been discussed at length and in various threads. So be aware of rough tone if you start to discuss something like that again and again. And, putting !docs in the makepkg.conf as mentioned above isn't that hard, is it?

No, putting !docs in makepkg.conf isn't hard (although I didn't know that you could do that, so thank you).
I wasn't trying to start a discussion/argument/linuxtard-flame-war.
All I did was ask 2 questions, both of which have now been indirectly answered.

I really don't see why this is such a touchy issue for people.

#10 2008-10-11 00:28:41

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I think you're inferring quite a bit about my post there, sparky. Take a look at... well everything I've ever said on this forum. I usually respond like that. And no, it wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the topic and everyone shouting "oh woe is me!" because they have a few more megs of used disk space.

The simple point is, "how do I remove docs now?" infers that people think they are useless, probably because Arch never shipped them before - "I got along fine without them in the past!". That's, quite simply, not true. Here's a very good use-case: man grub. Just take a look at the man page.

#11 2008-10-11 17:13:18

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

My inference stems from the totality of your posts that I've seen. The fact that you're always somewhat abrasive doesn't make it palatable. You come off with an attitude every time someone wants to do something that you find pointless, whereas the general nature of others on this forum appears to be "hey, I would have done it this way, but if you want to do it that way, try this, that or the other". Maybe it's just me, maybe not.

Who said that docs themselves weren't useful? The point made by some is simply that you don't need to store them locally if you have steady internet access. I actually think that including them by default makes more sense the more that I think about it as it makes packages more "vanilla". I really just wanted to know how to best get rid of them, and now I do. Isn't part of the Arch way to give people the tools to do what they want with their system without pre- or proscriptions?

#12 2008-10-11 17:27:19

moljac024

I never understood the need for stripping these docs from packages or why this is such a huge issue here for the distro.
I find them useful. Why search for documentation online when all you need is right there on your drive ? And guess what ? Your internet might fail, you might take your laptop somewhere where you don't have an internet connection and you will curse yourself for deleting 20 MBs of useful material from your system.
Also why not get rid of man pages too, because you can access those online as well ?

Just my 2 cents, no flames please smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#13 2008-10-11 18:27:06

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Skeletor and Darth Vader agree... whoda thunk? tongue

Board footer