You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-11 06:56:43

dav7

KDE 4 suddenly doesn't like theming anymore :S [solved, mods plz read]

Moderators, please move this thread to the packaging section since it'd probably go better there now.

---

So I installed KDE a while ago, slowly. First all I needed was Kolourpaint, then after KDE 4 came out, the whole of KDE. And I've slowly been warming to the desktop as time has gone on, and will likely extract bits of it out, eg the desktop manager, and stuff them into my own highly customized desktop when I get my new box.

At first, everything worked just fine - happy user here (I use Openbox, but having KDE there was just... nice. I think KDE is very high quality, etc, blah blah KDE vs. GNOME etc etc tongue).

Then one day KDE randomly decided to, like, go all icky. Well, maybe not entirely randomly - while updating KDE (for whatever reason, I can't exactly remember why I upgraded, except that I noticed I was installing KDE 4.1.2 or something when I did start the upgrade), I did a quick df -h to make sure I'd have enough space and discovered that my home folder had about 250MB or something like that left in it. (I'm really low on diskspace in my home folder, but I have a spare 18GB partition on my box at /storage with 12GB free, I plan to move a fair chunk of data across sometime) so I decided to ^C the upgrade to move a few hundred MBs of stuff over onto /storage, enough for me to get KDE installed. Then I continued the upgrade, and it got me here. Note that I CTRL+C'd the upgrade while pacman was downloading, not installing, and that's why the following makes no sense.

Some other things I've done:
- Tried to 'startkde' in an Xnest window too many times to count, with it failing 88% of the time (I was aiming for the other 22% success rate to continue what I was doing tongue)
- Tried to figure out how to make KDE 3 apps look nice / use my KDE 4 theme (I discovered qtconfig in this period)

It used to have the awesome KDE 4 theme, the first time it happened it started up with the icky, horrible CDE theme.

I was like "AGH MAJOR EW" and ran to systemsettings to try and change my theme back... only to discover that approximately 100.1% of the themes available had disappeared, leaving only 5 very icky ones in their place, CDE, Cleanlooks, Win9x, Motif and Plastique. That last one suggests that KDE 3 has somehow taken over my system.

I've reinstalled the kde group.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled KDE. Twice.

I'm thinking it's something in my home folder.

What do I do next? hmm

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-10-11 13:46:30)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#2 2008-10-11 08:08:52

b9anders

Re: KDE 4 suddenly doesn't like theming anymore :S [solved, mods plz read]

have you tried 

rm -r ~/.kde4?

I know I've had some upgrade trouble at some points with kde4 and removing all kde4 settings and starting over is a usually a good place to start.

FWIW, I have all the themes you mentioned for qt4 as well, so not necessarily any indicator of kde3 at work.

Last edited by b9anders (2008-10-11 08:11:03)

#3 2008-10-11 13:45:17

dav7

Re: KDE 4 suddenly doesn't like theming anymore :S [solved, mods plz read]

No.

I've solved this issue - it was something to do with KDE 4.1.2. After rolling everything back to 4.1.1 with my cached packages, it all works again.

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-10-11 13:46:16)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

Board footer