You are not logged in.

#1 2002-09-25 18:01:55

ody
Website

GNU/Linux..

I feel and have felt since I first lernt of the truths of GNU and linux that linux based distros should always refer to "linux" as "GNU/Linux" offcourse in the correct context..  anyone else dis/agree with me?

Personaly Id like to see AL carry GNU/Linux in any refrence on the homepage, documentation etc.. to the distribution as a whole.. not just a "linux distro".

The GNU foundation released this today: http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html which is what spured this post on.

peace!

#2 2002-09-25 20:01:12

sarah31
Website

Re: GNU/Linux..

You are indeed right GNU/Linux should be used as it is the proper terminology from what I understand.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2002-09-25 21:07:57

Brophy

I guess I agree with the GNU/Linux though I think this is somewhat difficult to use when speaking.  For those cases I would think "I use the GNU operating system with a Linux kernel" would be an appropriate sentance.  However, from what I gather, the GNU people are not so much worried about spoken word but text.  They just want some recognition from people who are putting up websites, doing articles for the press and so on.

On a side note, my personal favorite from the FAQ is this one: GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv

Someone should write a perl script that could scan /bin or something and generate those, only with every piece of software installed. big_smile Maybe I'll work on that once I get my computer a little more settled.

#4 2002-09-27 17:15:26

apeiro
Daddy
Website

I think we can make that change.  I don't want to call the product "Arch GNU/Linux" though (a little clunky), but when referring to linux on the webpage, I can call it "GNU/Linux".  Sound okay?

#5 2002-09-27 22:41:35

Brophy

I only say this jokingly so nobody get bent out of shape but after reading apeiro's post, I would like to suggest GNU/Arch.linux   tongue

Board footer