#1 2008-10-12 18:18:14

peets
Website

Interactive histogram application

I have some objects that look like this:

class:sub-class:sub-sub-class:...
numeric value
other information...

I want to draw a histogram of the sum of the numeric values in each top-level class. I want to be able to select one of the classes (i.e. one of the columns/bars in the graph) and "zoom in" to see a histogram of the sum of the numeric values in each sub-class. I want to be able to zoom in further, etc. until the bottom-level of classes is reached. Then (optionally) it would be cool to get the other information about individual objects. Do you know of any free software that does this?
I DON'T want something like this (it's too cluttered, and not dynamic. AFAIK Gnuplot does not do what I want):
histograms.4.png

Searches on freshmeat.net for "interactive (chart|graph|plot|histogram)" brought up nothing useful.

#2 2008-10-12 22:17:08

SiC

Re: Interactive histogram application

Have you taken a look at the statistical package R? That should be able to do what you want.

#3 2008-10-13 00:01:35

peets
Website

Re: Interactive histogram application

Thanks. But R looks complicated. I found ggobi while investigating R; it has the exploratory feeling I'm looking for, but doesn't really work with my kind of data.

Actually, for my current purposes such exploratory power is not needed. I'll use Gnuplot to draw the static top-level graph; it's all I actually need. But it would be neat to be able to easily explore and dive into the data.

Last edited by peets (2008-10-13 00:23:47)

Board footer