You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-27 16:59:13

Aidenn

Gnome/HAL doesn't automount ntfs volumes/mounts with no labels

I've just updated my Arch after ~3 weeks (using testing) and Gnome stopped automounting my ntfs volumes. What's worse, is that when I force him to via ntfs-config (which creates /media/$label directories for each as HAL should) Gnome doesn't use $label, it mounts them as X GB Media, which is not very helpful, because I have three disks with the same sizes. And they are automatically placed on the desktop, like removable media, whereas before they were only in computer:///.

Also, I have a spare (labeled as "backup") xfs partition, which automounts fine, but also as X GB Media and also has a desktop icon.

What's weird is that SD cards automount with labels like before, only local disks are labelless.

Is HAL the culprit here or is there something wrong with Gnome too?

-- edit --

False alarm with xfs, the label works fine after reboot. So the only problem are ntfs volumes (i tried linking mount.ntfs-3g to mount.ntfs, nothing happened), but that must be new HAL's doing, so this is the wrong forum. ;)

Ontopic: how do i stop internal disks from appearing on my desktop? I was happy when they were in computer:/// only.

Last edited by Aidenn (2008-09-27 17:53:08)

#2 2008-10-10 18:37:50

prometej

Re: Gnome/HAL doesn't automount ntfs volumes/mounts with no labels

I have the similar problem. Everything worked fine, entire installation went ok, but after 2 days of normal working, gnome stopped to automount my usb external disk with NTFS partition.
CD-RW, DVD , other external disks and usb sticks (FAT32) mount correctly, only NTFS disk won't automount??
I have tried couple of help tips i found on the net (mostly Archlinux Wiki, and this forum), but no luck.
Tried manually force mount (which worked) and with NTFS-config package from AUR and (I got it mounted in /etc/fstab).. but it doesn't want to be automounted like it did couple days ago...

What am I missing??

Thanks in advanced for any kind of help.

UTERE SED NE ABUTERE !!

#3 2008-10-10 18:49:21

mrunion
Website

There was a bug report on this.  Try a system update to get the latest HAL and that is reported to have fixed the issue.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#4 2008-10-10 19:32:05

prometej

3 days of headache and 20 minutes after I asked question, my problem was solved by itself (well not entirely.. but..)

Well what I did.. thanx to mrunion suggestion i went again to the bug reports page, and in between alunn has sent me info there are some system upgrades.. pacman updated

klibc-udev udev shadow

packages.. and i manualy reinstalled

pm-utils

and installed

libmtp

package ( some guidlines from bug report page under HAL)
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8451
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10583

And now everything works fine! I'm happy big_smile
Hopefully this will help someone to!

Best regards, from me..

Last edited by prometej (2008-10-10 19:33:49)

UTERE SED NE ABUTERE !!

#5 2008-10-12 17:35:57

Aidenn

works fine for me too. smile

back to one of the original questions - how can I put them icons in computer:/// only?

#6 2008-10-13 21:24:53

prometej

aidenn,

maybe this will help:

gconf-editor /apps/nautilus/desktop
key: volumes_visible

UTERE SED NE ABUTERE !!

Board footer