You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-15 15:20:39

soccerjonp

Upgraded to kernel 2.6.27 - Arch won't boot, pci=nomsi doesn't help

I upgraded my kernel yesterday, and I have the same symptoms as here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56940.  The fallback kernel image doesn't work either.

I added pci=nomsi to my kernel parameters as suggested, but that did not change anything. 

I am surprised that pci=nomsi did not fix this... maybe I did it wrong?  Here is the entry from my grub menu.lst:

title Fresh Arch Linux
root (hd0,6)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda7 pci=nomsi
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

I found that if I instead added pci=off that the boot would get further, however then the root filesystem cannot be loaded, I assume because pci is essential.

Help is greatly appreciated.

#2 2008-10-15 19:10:24

deej

Re: Upgraded to kernel 2.6.27 - Arch won't boot, pci=nomsi doesn't help

Just to confirm: are you getting the same error as described in the post you point to ?
Also, are you dual-booting ? The "root (hd0,6)" implies somethings going on.

Deej

#3 2008-10-15 20:32:57

soccerjonp

Yes, I am getting the same error as the thread I pointed to.  My situation seems to be exactly the same as his (except that the proposed fix doesn't seem to work for me.)  My Arch install worked well until yesterday, and the only thing I changed was pacman -Syu.  (I have two arch installs and this happened with both actually sad  )

Yes, I have many OSs on many partitions... but I thought that that was irrelevant.  I have a separate boot partition that grub is installed on, and I have a Windows, 2 Arch, a Linux Mint, and a shared FAT partition.

I would post a complete log of the boot process, but I can't seem to find which log file has the information I'm after... or maybe the boot doesn't get far enough to be logged, I'm not sure.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 2008-10-16 20:11:06

deej

Is it an nVidia based system ? Googling around there seems to be a lot of such problems with HT + nVidia based systems.
There are solutions to be found - but they are mainly in German / French / Chinese / Russian !
From what I can tell, it's a kernel problem, so maybe a question in the Linux Kernel forums would bring home the bacon.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Deej

#5 2008-10-16 20:37:43

soccerjonp

Thanks for the pointers, Deej.  It is indeed an nVidia based system.

I posted here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux- … post635279 about this issue. 

I don't know if that's the best place to post kernel questions, but that's what a preliminary search brought up.

Thanks again.

#6 2008-10-22 01:20:08

soccerjonp

Also, something I forgot to mention... when generating the kernel hooks here is my output:

==> Building image "default"
==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.27-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img
:: Begin build
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Parsing hook [udev]
:: Parsing hook [autodetect]
find: `/sys/devices/': No such file or directory
:: Parsing hook [pata]
:: Parsing hook [scsi]
:: Parsing hook [sata]
:: Parsing hook [filesystems]
:: Generating module dependencies
:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26.img'...SUCCESS
==> SUCCESS
==> Building image "fallback"
==> Running command: /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.27-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26-fallback.img -S autodetect
:: Begin build
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Parsing hook [udev]
:: Parsing hook [pata]
:: Parsing hook [scsi]
:: Parsing hook [sata]
:: Parsing hook [filesystems]
:: Generating module dependencies
:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26-fallback.img'...SUCCESS
==> SUCCESS

The main image complains that it can't find '/sys/devices/'.  I don't know what that means, and I can't remember if I saw it in previous versions that worked for me.  Is this bad?  How can I fix it? 

The fallback image doesn't complain though, and that image doesn't boot for me either, so I assumed that wasn't the problem.

Thanks.

#7 2008-10-22 04:19:29

Onwards

If your system has HyperThreading support, you can disable it by adding (I doubt it would work though...)

smt-enabled=off

to ur kernel cmd-line.

I guess your system consists of PCI-Express based nforce chipsets with HyperTransport. If that's the case, then we 've to think of some other solution.

PS. And that solution would be to play around with HyperTransport related BIOS options available on your mobo (I don't 've it on my board, in which case I would 've checked that out myself).

PS2. You may force the use of LAPIC (in case it's been disabled...) by adding this to your kernel-cmd-line [As LAPIC is required for MSI's correct operation...]:

lapic

Conclusion:
If nothing works, then we have either
   1. Hit a corner case (buggy H/W), which I guess is the case as pci=nomsi should 've worked. Or,
   2. Discovered a bug in the S/W implementation itself

So your best bet would be to downgrade your kernel.

Disclaimer: I am NO kernel guru. I guess I am just bumping my head into walls in a dark room big_smile

Last edited by Onwards (2008-10-23 03:09:32)

#8 2008-10-26 01:56:29

soccerjonp

Onwards, thanks for the reply.  I tried your suggestions and they didn't change anything.  The only thing I didn't really know how to do was mess around with the hyper-threading settings in my bios.  I couldn't find a setting to disable hyper-threading, so the only thing I tried changing was turning off Auto Frequency calculator or whatever... that didn't change anything, and I didn't see anything else relevant (but then again I don't know what to look for.)

So I don't know why my machine suddenly has a problem with this kernel.  Thanks for your help though!

#9 2008-10-26 04:54:06

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Try rebuilding without CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/263059

Board footer