You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-16 08:35:26

filou.linux

Automounting Volumes under LXDE

Hi everybody

I'm setting up an "audio-pc" for a semi-public chillout-lounge.  wink I want to keep it as simple as possible for other users to play music; If the plug in a player or another usb storage, it should appear automatically in Rhythmbox. So far so good.

The Problem
To achieve this I've set up arch, syu-ed and installed the 'lxde'-group. I've installed rhythmbox and the bad and ugly gstreamer plugins. This setup works great: MP3 playback, cd playback, everything. But when I plug in an USB-Stick with .mp3 on it, it doesn't get mounted immediately (This is the case when I insert a CD though). It does appear in PcMAN and Dolphin, but it gets mounted only after I access the device (aka click on it). As soon as that happens, the device shows up in Rhythmbox as well (of course, it just got mounted). I want to have this process automated (speak: Plug in device => Show up in Rhythmbox).

What i've tried
So it didn't seem like a real problem in the first place. But after hours of triing I just couldn't figure out why it didn't work. I've added the user to the groups storage,optical,disk,hal,dbus. The device can be mounted as a user, so it's not a permission-problem
I've followed the instructions on the Wiki (installed gamin, installed hal and added it to daemons). As said: The device gets mounted as soon as I access it, but not earlier. So I guess thats not the problem either.
Next thing I've tried is to set mountpoints in the fstab, which worked great as soon as a accessed the device (of course).
Additionally I've installed pmount but I was pretty sure that this would not solve it. I was right.

All that was without impact, so I decided to go to bed finally. When I checked it that morning, it was still not working o_O :S

Presumptions
I guess the problem is somewhere in the configuration of gamin (which of course has non by default as stated in the wiki).

So probably someone has an idea how I could solve this problem. Thanks in advance!!!
Cheers

#2 2008-10-16 09:21:56

klixon

Re: Automounting Volumes under LXDE

There's an excellent article about automounting on the gentoo wiki
It lists several ways to accomplish this, including ways to auto-unmount the device when it has been idling for a specific amount of time.

Hope this helps smile

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2008-10-16 11:20:26

filou.linux

Thanks klixon

The gentoo wiki, I've could have thought of it myself. Yeah there are lots of good articles. I'm not quiet sure to which article your link was supposed to point, but I guess you meant the http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ivman Article. There is another article that points into the same direction: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Autofs . But ivman sounds perfect and I'm going to try it as soon as I can.

Thank you for your effort, I hope I can return the favor someday.
Cheers

Last edited by filou.linux (2008-10-16 11:26:55)

#4 2008-10-16 11:37:33

klixon

crap... copied address from the wrong tab.
here's a link to the autofs-article

edit: i need glasses too big_smile you found it already

Good luck and have fun smile

Last edited by klixon (2008-10-16 11:38:16)

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

Board footer