You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-17 13:40:24

MEfreak

Where to download individual library files?

Recently, I installed the UT99 dedicated server package on my Arch system. Everything went smoothly up until the point of actually launching the server. Seems the server needed a couple of library files that aren't on my system. The missing files were libX11.so.6 and libXext.so.6; a web search confirmed these are X11 files, and I don't use X on my system (headless file server & local game server).

My solution was to fire up Knoppix, mount my hard drive, and copy Knoppix's libX11 and libXext files into the proper location. That solved my problem, and everything's fine with UT.

I just wanted to know if this was a silly way to obtain the two files? I searched for a download on google to no avail. Is there some central source for these types of files that I can use in the future if a similar problem crops up?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2004-09-17 17:46:51

IceRAM
Website

Re: Where to download individual library files?

Well... all can I say is that Linux is not like Windows, where a missing DLL can be searched on the net, donwnloaded and used.

Assuming you are missing some libraries, the best thing to do is find the package they belong, make a PKGBUILD for it, compile it, and install using pacman.

In this case, where the libraries belong to X11, I suppose there might be some missing compatibility with Xorg. UT99 (I don't know what that is right now) might have been compiled some time ago against an older X (probably Xfree). If a package (P) requires a missing library and you theoretically have the library's owning package (O) installed, you should probably build package P again, against the new package O. If P can't be built, you end up with a compatibility problem which you can either fix it by yourself, or report it to the author of P.

Anyway, in Arch it's better to use packages made using the makepkg (which comes with AL) with the standard compile options (i686 etc.). I guess the binary packages available for Linux are most of them in i386.

#3 2004-09-17 19:26:55

MEfreak

IceRAM wrote:

Well... all can I say is that Linux is not like Windows, where a missing DLL can be searched on the net, donwnloaded and used.

Ah, so you can tell that I'm a Windows user?  lol No DLL's to download? :shock: lol

UT99 is my slang for Unreal Tournament, the original edition. The dedicated server package is for headless systems, and I can't fathom why it requires a couple of X libraries to be installed.

I'm not even sure that the libraries are owned by X11...it could be Xfree or Xorg for all I know. X11 just turned up the most in my google searches. I suppose that installing Xorg or Xfree would have solved my problem, but I don't need either, and installing one for a useless? dependancy in a dedicated game server package seemed like overkill.

IceRAM wrote:

Assuming you are missing some libraries, the best thing to do is find the package they belong, make a PKGBUILD for it, compile it, and install using pacman.

Do you mean make a PKGBUILD to install only the missing libraries, or the entire program which owns the libraries? Sorry, I'm not yet familiar with PKGBUILD's in Arch  :oops:

Thanks for the response.

#4 2004-09-17 19:42:17

IceRAM
Website

I had a small feeling it's about Unreal Tournament, but I've never seen 99, only UT2004. Oh, 99 is the version before 2004... never thought of that.. although on the computer I'm on right now, not even UT99 works.

MEfreak wrote:
IceRAM wrote:

Do you mean make a PKGBUILD to install only the missing libraries, or the entire program which owns the libraries? Sorry, I'm not yet familiar with PKGBUILD's in Arch  :oops:

Well, I wasn't aware you didn't have any kind of X installed (xorg/Xfree). I did a brief check before and indeed they belong to xorg (my system).

# locate libX11.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2

# pacman -Qo /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 is owned by xorg 11R6.8.0-3

Same for the other one.

About your question about the PKGBUILD: no, I wouldn't recommend splitting a package and building only 2 files out of it. It's better to (build &) install the full package, or you'll mess up your entire system (mostly because of the dependencies).

In your case, maybe it would have been better to

# pacman -Sy xorg

to get the latest libraries. They're the latest version (or almost the latest since 6.8.1 has just been released) and they are i686 (+optimizations) compiled (as the rest of your ArchLinux system). It might offer you better performance & stability.
(if you run that now, with your manually installed libs, you'll end up with 2 conflicts. Instead of the previous command, run pacman -Syf xorg).

#5 2004-09-18 12:03:50

MEfreak

OK, I understand what you are saying now. I think I'll go ahead and remove the two libraries that I copied from Knoppix and install X. I've got plenty of disk space, so I might as well do things correctly from the get-go.

Thanks for the help, IceRAM  smile

Board footer