You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-15 04:05:34

handy

[SOLVED] Install Bootloader - Fails to find menu.lst

64bit install, good disk, used before, fails at Install Bootloader section.

Installer can't find menu.lst asks if GRUB has been installed?

Last edited by handy (2008-10-17 06:18:12)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2 2008-10-15 04:36:20

handy

Re: [SOLVED] Install Bootloader - Fails to find menu.lst

I used a Ubuntu LiveCD & GParted to remove the /swap & to set /home as jfs.

I reformated /boot / & /home, & went through the installation process once again & GRUB just booted.

So it must have been one of them there things... roll

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#3 2008-10-15 06:49:42

handy

2nd attempt went fine I setup the pacman mirror again, then the bootloader installation went as it should.

I had some difficulty after reboot getting any of my 3 installed nics to do the right thing, so I turned off the 2 on the motherboard which made it easier for me to use the network page in the wiki to get the intel pro 100 working, after that the next problem which is a game breaker is that I found my pacman.d/mirrorlist did not exist?

So I made a new one, copying from my other Arch machine which can access the mirror without problem.

The new install is having a hell of a time accessing my preferred or any other mirror.

I'll look further into my nic setup before I scrap this install.

I'm finding it quicker to scrap & install than wait for instructions, even if it is probably slower in the long run. smile

I'm over it!

#4 2008-10-15 07:24:48

handy

I'm loosing my netork conection.

It is really flaky.  I loose the ability to ping google, then after doing network restart  I can ping google?

I just did another network restart, pinged google ok, did another -Syy, & it looked like it was supposed to without multiple attempts & errors.

So I then did an -Syu & it is working as it should!?

This has been a tough install today.

I somehow expect more trouble.

I'm over it!

#5 2008-10-15 08:11:22

handy

I rebooted after upgrade, set up new user & password, then went on to download yaourt & this is the error I get after a delay & small amount of download:

error: failed retrieving file 'yaourt blah blah from  the repo.fr: Connection timed out
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occrred, no packages were upgraded.

Similar problem trying to install the sudo package?

Any ideas?

I'm over it!

#6 2008-10-16 00:38:30

handy

I'm stopped.

It looks like I'll have to scrap Arch on this machine, at least Sabayon 3.4f is happy on it.  I may give Arch another try in a few months & see if whatever hardware bug that has come in is sorted out by then.

I installed XFCE4 on my Arch/Openbox iMac last night before I went to bed, at least that went without problems.  roll

I'm over it!

#7 2008-10-17 06:11:57

handy

I understand now that the internet problem is being caused by a bug in the new kernel, which nailed my other machine too! sad

Last edited by handy (2008-10-19 06:02:12)

I'm over it!

Board footer