You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-16 17:17:43

Zariel

Anyone using Reiser4?

Im planning to move my /var onto a reiser4 for speed and compression mainly but have also thought about migrating my root and home partitions too it also, though i have conserns about the stability of the file system in general, so im wondering if anyone is uing reiser4 with the arch system.

#2 2008-10-17 02:13:07

hecate

Re: Anyone using Reiser4?

hi, i am using reiser4 for 1 month now for my var and root partition and everything is fine. The fs seems even more stable than reiserfs.
The bad news is you have to compile your own kernel (i use zen patch) for reiser4 to be supported.

#3 2008-10-17 07:53:44

Zariel

yeah ive been using zen for months now

#4 2008-10-17 10:28:28

chris_ak

I don't have the slightest idea what you guys are talking about, but I'd be interested to find out.  I'll google for now, but await your reply. EDIT: haha though I see the creator was recently convicted of murder.

Last edited by chris_ak (2008-10-17 10:30:09)

#5 2008-10-17 16:11:51

murffatksig

I used to use reiserfs a while ago.  Then when Hans Reiser was on trial, I followed it for a bit and eventually decided to switch back to ext3.  Once he was convicted I was glad I switched.  His company Namesys was sold, leaving the future development of reiser4 (which was as successor to reiserfs) uncertain.  Plus, I felt uncomfortable using a filesystem created by a murderer.

Edit:
I just found that one of my old systems still has a reisferfs partition.  It works but I might take time to convert back to ext3.

Last edited by murffatksig (2008-10-17 16:16:05)

"Oh, they have the internet on computers now."

#6 2008-10-17 16:43:51

Zariel

The fact he killed his wife has no relevance to the file system and ive used 3.6 since using Linux

#7 2008-10-17 18:20:49

iBertus

Zariel wrote:

The fact he killed his wife has no relevance to the file system and ive used 3.6 since using Linux

No, but the fact that namesys doesn't exist anymore and that future development may not happen is a very real reason not to adopt reiser4. The magic of FOSS is that you can make the choice without intervention from anyone else, but I know that I wouldn't use it for anything mission critical.

#8 2008-10-17 18:38:26

Zariel

#9 2008-10-18 00:58:51

carlocci

Zariel wrote:

of course not, it's a feature!
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit … 6#Features

#10 2008-10-18 01:09:14

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Just adding that I agree that a creation should not be judged by the deeds of its creator. In this case, using the Reiser file system does not in any way support whatever Reiser may have done to his wife. However, concerns about the future development of the file system are valid in my opinion.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#11 2008-10-18 01:33:28

iphitus
Forum Fellow

And there were so many more people involved in reiserfs than just hans himself. It's unfair on the countless others that worked for him or contributed to just diss it because of his terrible actions.

#12 2008-10-18 02:04:16

nickoljt

Here's a pretty good/recent thread on what's happening with reiser4 and its future in relation to the vanilla kernel: http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Reiser4_Update

It's not likely to ever be added to the kernel, that's reason enough for me not to consider using it, but as this is Linux, use what ever floats your boat!

#13 2008-10-18 03:56:06

jwcxz
Website

I use Reiser4 on one of my desktop boxes (which uses Gentoo and a kernel that hasn't been updated since Reiser was convicted).  The filesystem itself is probably the fastest I have ever used for general, all-around purposes.  On my current computer, I use XFS, which is superbly slow on numerous small files (pacman -Sy takes forever).

I think it's really unfortunate that Reiser4 probably will not last.  I am looking forward to a stable btrfs, though.

-- jwc
http://jwcxz.com/ | blog
dotman - manage your dotfiles across multiple environments
icsy - an alarm for powernappers

#14 2008-10-18 15:46:13

buddabrod

jwcxz wrote:

I use Reiser4 on one of my desktop boxes (which uses Gentoo and a kernel that hasn't been updated since Reiser was convicted).  The filesystem itself is probably the fastest I have ever used for general, all-around purposes.  On my current computer, I use XFS, which is superbly slow on numerous small files (pacman -Sy takes forever).

I think it's really unfortunate that Reiser4 probably will not last.  I am looking forward to a stable btrfs, though.

There are some tweaks which make xfs fast like hell with small files... Dont remember were I read that. wink

But I agree, reiser4 is fast like, I used it myself for some time, but that was some time ago. Now I use ext4 for / (since that is not too important and I make backups once a week. If I'd loose 6 days in the worst case, I just do pacman -Syu and I normally have my system back as it was).

Only the compression feature of reiser4 was very great. I know there is some userspace stuff which works similarly, but I havent tried that yet.

Downside was that reiser4 kille some of my files.. and after fscking the fs was completely gone -> good time to start over with a new fs ;P

#15 2008-10-19 15:46:27

jwcxz
Website

buddabrod wrote:

There are some tweaks which make xfs fast like hell with small files... Dont remember were I read that. wink

Interesting.  I'll do some research when I get a chance.

Downside was that reiser4 kille some of my files.. and after fscking the fs was completely gone -> good time to start over with a new fs ;P

Did you come close to running out of disk space or something?  Reiser4 has never given me a single problem even when my system would crash and burn randomly (still haven't figured out the problem there...).

-- jwc
http://jwcxz.com/ | blog
dotman - manage your dotfiles across multiple environments
icsy - an alarm for powernappers

#16 2008-10-19 21:12:18

SiC

I was looking at Reiser4 a while back, not going to use it though due to it not being part of the main kernel tree, which is a shame as it looks like a superb filesystem. I'm currently using Reiser3.6

#17 2008-10-20 16:01:10

buddabrod

jwcxz wrote:
buddabrod wrote:

Interesting.  I'll do some research when I get a chance.

I'm testing it right now. Very fast, but ext3 is still faster with small files (not to speak from reiser*). I'll look for some more tweaks than only setting high allocation groups, large journal and mor logbuffers.

Did you come close to running out of disk space or something?  Reiser4 has never given me a single problem even when my system would crash and burn randomly (still haven't figured out the problem there...).

No, I wasnt even close to running out of space. At that time reiser4 had the bug to hardlock the system when downloading torrents. So it crashed my system and took some files to nirvana.. (~2 or 3 years ago)

Last edited by buddabrod (2008-10-20 16:01:55)

#18 2008-11-14 14:52:19

MartinZ

carlocci wrote:
Zariel wrote:

of course not, it's a feature!
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit … 6#Features

Hahaha!!!!   lol

I use reiser4 in my dektop since more than 2 years without a single problem and a very good performance, even with compression. Unfortunelly (as said before), the lack of support, development and inclusion in vanilla kernel made me choose ext3 (now ext4) for my laptop. It's a pitty, because this fs really rocks. If it ever gets developed again (I mean, not as little as today) I'll switch my laptop to it.

Very good thread, it's nice to read so strong arguments about something.

All your base are belong to us

#19 2008-11-14 15:37:25

kensai
Website

OMG, I just can't simply stand people saying the fact that he is a murderer makes them stay away from the file system, simply LOL. Let's not say Linus Torvalds let the deers go into his backyard and murder his wife flowers. And yes it is true, so would you left Linux because Linus prefers deers to flowers.

Seriously, he is not the only one making reiser4 possible, there has always been a team behind it, so the team is a murderers team now, because of the action of the team leader?

Last edited by kensai (2008-11-14 15:39:29)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#20 2008-11-14 17:31:36

moljac024

kensai wrote:

OMG, I just can't simply stand people saying the fact that he is a murderer makes them stay away from the file system, simply LOL. Let's not say Linus Torvalds let the deers go into his backyard and murder his wife flowers. And yes it is true, so would you left Linux because Linus prefers deers to flowers.

Seriously, he is not the only one making reiser4 possible, there has always been a team behind it, so the team is a murderers team now, because of the action of the team leader?

Even Wikipedia recognizes the fact that reiser4 is a wife-murdering file system.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#21 2008-11-14 20:48:15

Aprz

moljac024 wrote:
kensai wrote:

Even Wikipedia recognizes the fact that reiser4 is a wife-murdering file system.

Wikipedia is considered an unreliable source because it can be edited by anyone and not somebody who is credible. Obviously killing your wife is not a feature of the Resier4 filesystem, and it's just something that was a personal issue with the creator of the filesystem.

#22 2008-11-14 23:29:15

Ranguvar

Reiser4 is excellent, I tried it a bit. Faster than anything else I've tried so far, compression helps a ton with the massive numbers of small files *nix systems are known to accumulate (and is one of the reasons for the speedup)... pretty fantastic.

I'm not using it full-time now because I haven't compiled my own kernel yet tongue Did it before, but not on Arch. Once I do, I'll use ext3 for my home (big files anyways, and ext3 is known for stability much more) and Reiser4 for my root.

#23 2008-11-14 23:38:26

kensai
Website

moljac024 wrote:
kensai wrote:

Hmmm, good marketing point, have you ever thought of....

Let's leave it there. wink

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#24 2008-11-16 01:54:59

dsr

Reiser4 is a killer filesystem. big_smile

I don't know how stable it is. I use ReiserFS (Reiser3) on my /var partition, but I haven't noticed any speed increase over JFS. The mount time seems longer, and ReiserFS uses more system resources. Reiser4 might be noticeably faster though, but I've never used it.

Last edited by dsr (2008-11-16 02:23:19)

#25 2008-11-18 16:33:47

thisperishedmin

that wikipedia table always cracks me up hahaha...but I'm a horrible person when it comes to my sense of humor, so take that as you will.

I'm using XFS for the first time...I was going to try Reiser out, but the uncertainty of future development made me opt to XFS.  If the guy who mentioned the tweaks ever finds them I'd be curious to check it out. big_smile

Board footer