You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-25 07:30:42

cschep
Website

Eclipse 3.4 update manager - no default site?

Hey guys. I know there aren't a ton of arch eclipse users, and I'm (obviously) not much of one either, but I'm intrigued as to what google is up to with their new mobile phone sdk (android) and I was going through the motions of installing it and came across their eclipse plugin. Looks pretty neat and I thought I'd like to run through one of their tutorials and see what's happening.

I installed eclipse from the repos (i love that it's the latest version, did some ubuntu'ing recently and everything is so far behind!) and all went fine. Well, no icon in the gnome menu, but not a big deal...

The android docs say I need to have WST installed, and I figured I don't really know what I have installed for eclipse plugins so I go to their software update manager and the only "installed" thing is the eclipse sdk 3.4, i click the next tab for available software, and there are NO default repositories?

I'm a bit stumped. I could have sworn that older versions of eclipse had a default site to go get official updates for eclipse. I know I won't find the ADT package in there, but I need to find out a.) if i have the pre-reqs to install it (ADT) and b.)install them if i don't have them yet.

I know how to add a repo and grab a 3rd party plugin, but why isn't there a main, "official", eclipse repo already there?

Am I totally missing something? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2008-09-25 17:55:12

Perry3D

Re: Eclipse 3.4 update manager - no default site?

It is only a speculation, but maybe it is because you cant update eclipse with the rights of a normal user.
So the update will come from the arch repo.

#3 2008-09-25 21:16:36

cschep
Website

Yeah, that's interesting. The only plug-in in the arch repos is cdt, which I don't need. I'm going to try installing it and see where it shows up though.

Still poking around...

any experience eclipse users? or are all of those using ubuntu/fedora ? smile

#4 2008-09-25 22:55:19

cschep
Website

Hmm...

Well I installed eclipse-cdt from the arch repos and it's definitely installed and working in eclipse, but the update manager software doesn't see it.

bizzare. I'm going to download and run eclipse from my home dir and just see what it looks like...

#5 2008-10-19 03:36:21

gimpel

Hi,

I'm using eclipse as standard IDE mostly for J2EE (JBoss Seam, Google Web Toolkit, Eclipse Equinox) and J2ME stuff,
but also PHP once in a while (via PDT Plugin). For my taste eclipse is quite unmatched when compared to other free IDEs at least for Code Auto-Formatting, Code-Outlines, advanced highlighting (see preferences to enable) and debugging / hotswapping J2EE Components.
(Also eclipse is the default for the companies I work with)

For archlinux the built-in eclipse update functions work just fine. (tested with europa & ganymede)
Just enter the update sites into the eclipse Software Updates & Add-ons dialog. (e.g. http://download.eclipse.org/releases/ganymede/)
All additional plugins are stored in a subfolder of ~/.eclipse

I would recommend to install only a minimal eclipse with pacman and handle all the additional stuff with eclipse itself.
There occur some problems when the update manager finds some patches for the features installed by pacman.
I got around that by

sudo chown -R yourusername eclipsedir

(in /opt or /usr or whatever)
when eclipse is started after that, all additionally installed plugins are invisible until the dir is chowned back to root.
But this way you can install the latest updates for the eclipse platform core managed by pacman without playing around with pkgbuilds.

Also I modified the eclipse PKGBUILD to only install the eclipse-platform instead of the whole platform-SDK and by the way install 3.4.1 instead of 3.4.0 which is used by the standard PKGBUILD:

# no md5s, works for i686 only
# $Id$
# Contributor: Andrew Wright <andreww@photism.org>
# Contributor: Andreas W. Hauser <andy-aur@splashground.de>
# Maintainer: Paul Mattal <paul@archlinux.org>

pkgname=eclipse
pkgver=3.4.1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="An IDE for Java and other languages"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://eclipse.org"
depends=(jdk gtk2 unzip xulrunner)
install=eclipse.install
makedepends=(zip)
provides=(eclipse)
license="EPL/1.1"
#md5sums=(4f7183395f61f70711a1f244faf5d763
#         78db5f9dfd844288afd49e0f357dd539
#         5a908647b7a9c9bb4467a499ec68b2e2
#         ee66a334bc443fd23ad9bc080dc6ea69)
#if [ "$CARCH" = "x86_64" ]; then
#    _arch=-x86_64
#    md5sums=(6498216f6e6b50a203b5ab319af19dbe
#             f08e49e6dad13dda8b2e4036b2a3f28c
#             0bee44d3b8839d6b217b6a5efb27407f
#         ee66a334bc443fd23ad9bc080dc6ea69)
#fi
source=(ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/eclipse/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.4.1-200809111700/eclipse-platform-$pkgver-linux-gtk.tar.gz
            eclipse.sh
            eclipse.desktop
        eclipse.ini.patch)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/eclipse || return 1

# patch to increase default memory limits
  patch -p0 < ../eclipse.ini.patch || return 1

# install eclipse
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/share || return 1
  mv $startdir/src/eclipse $startdir/pkg/usr/share || return 1

# install misc
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/etc/profile.d $startdir/pkg/usr/share/applications \