You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-08 21:22:05

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Powerpill - A wrapper and download accelerator for Pacman

I've moved all the powerpill info to this page: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/info/powerpill

Please continue to use this thread for discussion about powerpill.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-11-13 07:20:17)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2008-10-09 00:16:10

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

Re: Powerpill - A wrapper and download accelerator for Pacman

The idea behind this is quite nice.  I'm completely tied to yaourt, so I was looking at using powerpill as the pacman binary, which at a very brief glance seemed to work ok.  Only when I looked at your source, though, did I see that you have to force powerpill to create a config file (powerpill --gen-conf), so you might want to mention that somewhere somewhat prominantly, as my first thought on trying this out was to change the pacman binary to pacman-color.

Thanks for creating this, and I'll let you know if I have any other suggestions.

#3 2008-10-10 08:52:03

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Thanks for the suggestion, Xiong.

I've added a few lines to the OP, and that information was already included in the help message. Do you think that's enough?

#4 2008-10-11 00:30:53

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

Xyne wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, Xiong.

I've added a few lines to the OP, and that information was already included in the help message. Do you think that's enough?

Yeah, I think that's good.

The only other thing that would be cool would be to have Y be the default for the questions "Would you like to download all of them?" and "Proceed?", just so I don't have to think and can just press enter.*

* Yes, I know I can use --noconfirm, but I like being able to see file sizes and such first.

#5 2008-10-11 11:30:07

allbluedream

I got the message "du: cannot access './.gvfs', permission denied" while downloading. It seems that files still can be downloaded though.

#6 2008-10-11 17:25:46

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Xiong Chiamiov wrote:

The only other thing that would be cool would be to have Y be the default for the questions "Would you like to download all of them?" and "Proceed?", just so I don't have to think and can just press enter..

I'll give that some thought. Maybe I could add some configuration option for that instead of changing powerpill's default behavior. I'd be interested to know what others think.

EDIT
I've added default answers to most questions now. Let me know what you think.

allbluedream wrote:

I got the message "du: cannot access './.gvfs', permission denied" while downloading. It seems that files still can be downloaded though.

Strange. Running powerpill as root would fix that, but it shouldn't be trying to access that in the first place. Can you post the operation so that I can repeat it?

EDIT I've found a workaround for this that should prevent the error, but I would still like to know exactly what caused it as it shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-11 18:24:56)

#7 2008-10-12 03:45:10

allbluedream

sudo powerpill -S somepackage

~/.powerpill.conf

# Make sure that you have several mirrors uncommented in your mirrorlist.
# I would recomment at least 10 but you could just as well uncomment
# all of them.

# Global concurrent connection limit. This sets the total number of
# simultaneous connections, not downloads. If set to 0, it will let
# aria2 decide.
# Default: 10
TOTAL_CONNECTIONS = 10

# Minimum size in MB for using multiple connection to download a file.
# Files smaller than this will NOT be split (not worth it on small files).
# Default: 5 MB
MINIMUM_SIZE = 3

# Maximum number of connections per single file (only applies to files
# equal to or larger than MINIMUM_SIZE). If set to 0, it will let aria2
# decide.
# Default: 0
CONNECTIONS_PER_FILE = 0

# Maximum download speed in bytes/s (0 = unlimited)
# Add 'K' for kB or 'M' for MB, e.g. ('1048576' = '1024K' = '1M')
MAX_SPEED = 0

# Minimum download speed (0 = no minimum)
# Add 'K' for kB or 'M' for MB, e.g. ('1048576' = '1024K' = '1M')
MIN_SPEED = 0

# Server timeout
# Default: 15
TIMEOUT = 15

# Maximum tries per download (0 = unlimited)
# Default: 5
MAX_TRIES = 5

# Interval between retries
# Default: 5
RETRY_WAIT = 5

# Passive FTP ('yes'/'no')
# This is overridden by settings in pacman.conf
# Default: yes
PASSIVE_FTP = yes

# Log output ('yes'/'no')
# Default: no
ENABLE_LOG = no

# Log file if logging is enabled 
# Default: /var/log/powerpill.log
LOG = /var/log/powerpill.log

# Enable verbose aria2 output?
# Default: no
ARIA2_VERBOSE = no

# Pre-allocate file space? ('none' or 'prealloc')
# Slow and unnecessary for lots of small files.
# Default:  none
FILE_ALLOC = none

# Overwrite existing files ('true' or 'false')
# If true, this will overwrite existing cache files even if their
# checksums match, which is rather pointless. See the following
# option for a better alternative.
# Default: false
OVERWRITE = false

# When parsing the requested files, powerpill checks the database
# to get the MD5 checksums  and then checks if any of the files
# are already  in the cache. If the checksum of the cached  file
# matches the database, the file is not  downloaded again. If the
# cached file's checksum does NOT match the database, you can set
# powerpill to automatically delete it and redownload it, ask you
# what to do for each file, or leave the file in the cache and
# skip the download.
# 
# What to do with cached files with bad checksums ('delete', 'ask', 'leave')
# Default: ask
BAD_CHECKSUM_ACTION = ask

# Use colored messages
USE_COLOR = yes

# Show size of individual packages before downloading ('yes' or 'no')
# The total file download size will always be shown. If set to 'no',
# this may be overridden by 'ShowSize' in pacman.conf.
SHOW_FILE_SIZES = yes

# Additional arguments to aria2c. Check the aria2 man page.
# Default: ''
ADDITIONAL_ARIA2C_ARGUMENTS = ''

# pacman path
# default: /usr/bin/pacman
PACMAN = /usr/bin/pacman

# aria2c path
# default: /usr/bin/aria2c
ARIA2C = /usr/bin/aria2c

# Set the pacman configuration file path.
# default: /etc/pacman.conf
DEFAULT_CONF = /etc/pacman.conf

# Set the cache and database paths. These paths are taken relative
# to the specified root (see "man pacman" for more details).
# Normally, these will be relative to "/", so DO NOT PREPEND A
# SLASH ("/").
# default cache: var/cache/pacman/pkg/
# default database: var/lib/pacman/
DEFAULT_CACHE = var/cache/pacman/pkg/
DEFAULT_DATABASE = var/lib/pacman/

#8 2008-10-12 09:13:46

allbluedream

updated to the latest build, still

==> Remaining: -4.75 MiB/2.90 MiB (1/1 files)  Speed: 8.30 kiB/s  Connections: 1
  ETA: -570 sdu: cannot access `./.gvfs': permission denied

all the way through. The file can still be downloaded and installation goes on without problem.

#9 2008-10-12 13:22:03

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I just googled .gvfs and " cannot access './.gvfs': permission denied". The problem seems to be a bug in the Gnome virtual file system:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/225361
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=791693
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gvfs/+bug/225361/+viewstatus
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/212789
etc.

Take a look through those threads and see if anything suggested there resolves the issue. If not, I'll finally figure out how to create and apply patches so that I can post one for you (first to localize the problem, then to fix it).

#10 2008-10-12 18:34:04

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

Alrighty.  I noticed today when I was Syu-ing that I was getting some 404s on the upgraded packages, which shouldn't be happening if the lists get updated first.  Now, it should be noted that I changed my timeout to 10 sec instead of 15, but I thought I'd let you know, whether or not it's powerpill's fault at all.  Here's the first part:

pearson ~  $  y -Syu
Password: 
==> powerpill.conf loaded
==> Checking permissions for given cache directories.
==> Invoking pacman to get URIs...
PACMAN: Starting...
PACMAN: :: Synchronizing package databases...
PACMAN: downloading core.db.tar.gz...
PACMAN: downloading extra.db.tar.gz...
PACMAN: downloading community.db.tar.gz...
PACMAN:  archlinuxfr is up to date
PACMAN: Done
==> No files to download.
==> Exiting powerpill and passing control to pacman...
error: no targets specified (use -h for help)
==> powerpill.conf loaded
==> Checking permissions for given cache directories.
==> Invoking pacman to get URIs...
PACMAN: :: Starting full system upgrade...
PACMAN: resolving dependencies...
PACMAN: Done
==> The following packages were specified:
==> gmp-4.2.4-1.1
==> kdelibs-4.1.2-2
==> mpfr-2.3.2-2

Would you like to download all of them? (y/n) y
==> Added to download queue: mpfr-2.3.2-2 (338.17 kiB)
==> Added to download queue: kdelibs-4.1.2-2 (14.43 MiB)
==> Added to download queue: gmp-4.2.4-1.1 (438.21 kiB)
==> About to download 3 files
==> Total download size: 15.19 MiB

Proceed? (y/n) y
ARIA2: Starting...
ARIA2: 2008-10-12 11:14:42 ERROR - CUID#10 - Download aborted. URI=http://mirrors.easynews.com/linux/archlinux/extra/os/i686/kdelibs-4.1.2-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz
ARIA2: Exception: Resource not found                                                                                                                        
ARIA2: 2008-10-12 11:14:42 ERROR - CUID#13 - Download aborted. URI=http://holmes.umflint.edu/archlinux/extra/os/i686/kdelibs-4.1.2-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz
ARIA2: 2008-10-12 11:14:42 ERROR - CUID#15 - Download aborted. URI=http://holmes.umflint.edu/archlinux/core/os/i686/gmp-4.2.4-1.1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
ARIA2: 2008-10-12 11:14:45 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/mpfr-2.3.2-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz         
ARIA2: 2008-10-12 11:14:50 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/gmp-4.2.4-1.1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

I'm curious about this part:

What command is powerpill trying to invoke?

Also, Aria is invoked to download all 3 of the files, even though only one of them is above the min-size threshold (which I left at the default).  Is this the designed behavior?

And btw, this is using powerpill 11.0-2.  And that also reminds me, are you using any sort of version control for this project?  If you are, then it'd be kinda cool to be able to view a web interface to that, so we can see what you changed when you update.  If not... shame on you!

As always, thanks so much for working on this, and taking suggestions and such.

EDIT: Just updated to 11.2-1, btw.  Oh, and if you need some space to host a VCS interface (I don't know if your host gives you that sort of permissions), then I can do that.

Last edited by Xiong Chiamiov (2008-10-12 18:41:02)

#11 2008-10-12 19:51:35

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

The 404 errors are probably from mirrors that are out of sync with your top mirror (the one that pacman loads the database from).  Some mirrors won't yet have the latest packages yet. They should still get downloaded from another mirror though, because the metalink itself contains the mirror that was used to sync the database. If you notice that certain mirrors always throw 404 errors, you might consider removing them from your list (it's an indication that they don't update often enough). Also, take a look at "reflector" linked in my sig.

Actually, I just checked http://users.archlinux.de/~gerbra/mirrorcheck.html and holmes.umflint.edu hasn't synced in 16 days, so I think you can remove that one from your list for now.

I'd need to know what command you invoked powerpill with to get that pacman error ("powerpill -S" perhaps.... which leads to the same error as "pacman -S"). During a normal sync operation, powerpill invokes pacman 3 times:
     First with the pacman arguments that you passed it, adding the argument to print the package URIs.
     Once with -Ss to build a package-to-repo hash.
     Finally with the original arguments to pass control to pacman for installation.
Of course, there are sanity checks on which arguments were passed. If the requested operation does not involve downloading, control is passed to pacman immediately. If the requested operation included the "download only" option, it exits instead of calling pacman once downloads are complete. Powerpill doesn't play pacman-babysitter though, so it doesn't catch invalid pacman operations (although it does strip out any powerpill-specific arguments).

Aria is always invoked once and only once if the operation involves downloading, regardless of the number or size of the files.

Powerpill passes the pacman arguments it receives to powerpill along with the argument to print the URIs for the requested operation. Powerpill then takes this list, which contains the URIs to the files on your top mirror, and parses them to create a list of the pkgs that it should download. It then grabs the other mirrors for each repo from the pacman configuration files and builds a list of URIs to each requested packages on the different mirrors. These lists are used to create a single metalink for all the packages which is then piped to aria2c. This is done regardless of the number of files or their sizes. The single metalink makes it possible to download multiple files simultaneously and large files in segments. The metalink file itself contains information to determine how many connections to use for each file, so smaller files are not segmented. Even if there is only one small file to download, it is still just as fast as wget or curl or any other downloading utility.

When downloading files in the metalink, the list of URIs to the package on different mirrors is available for all packages, regardless of the connection limit per file. Aria2c chooses a mirror from the list and tries to download the package. 404 errors will occur if that mirror doesn't get have the latest version of the package. In that case, aria2c will just use another URI from the list until it gets the file. Each list will contain a URI to the file on the mirror that pacman used to sync the database, so that file will get downloaded from there if none of the other mirrors have the package yet.

Take a look at the metalink file generated for different operations.

powerpill -S <pkgA> <pkgB> <groupX> --get-metalink -

The "resources" tags contain the "maxconnections" attribute. You can confirm that small files are limited to 1.

My current version control system consists of leaving older versions in a directory on that server. Because of powerpill's "simple script" origin, I haven't given much thought to anything more serious, although I'll consider it. Thank you for your offer.

edit
Sorry about repeating myself within this post.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-12 19:55:53)

#12 2008-10-12 20:46:21

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

Xyne wrote:

The 404 errors are probably from mirrors that are out of sync with your top mirror (the one that pacman loads the database from).  Some mirrors won't yet have the latest packages yet. They should still get downloaded from another mirror though, because the metalink itself contains the mirror that was used to sync the database. If you notice that certain mirrors always throw 404 errors, you might consider removing them from your list (it's an indication that they don't update often enough).

Ah, that makes sense.  I've never had more than one mirror enabled before, so I guess I assumed that they were always completely in sync with each other, even though that wouldn't make sense if I thought about it.

Xyne wrote:

I'd need to know what command you invoked powerpill with to get that pacman error ("powerpill -S" perhaps.... which leads to the same error as "pacman -S").

As you can see there, I ran ran "y -Syu", with y aliased to yaourt.  For all operations other than those involving the AUR, yaourt just calls pacman with whatever options you passed to it, with sudo in front so you can run it as a normal user.  My yaourtrc has the pacman binary changed to be powerpill, so it should just be calling "sudo powerpill -Syu".

Thanks for explaining the behavior a little more to me,  which might have been due to the fact that I skim read everything.

#13 2008-10-12 21:11:13

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I wasn't sure if "y -Syu" was what generated the error. Are you calling powerpill with the "--nomessages" argument? It's possible that yaourt parses pacman output and that it gets confused by powerpill's messages, although I don't know enough of how it works to understand what could cause it to invoke pacman/powerpill without specifying packages.

Could you try this to see what's being passed to powerpill?

function argtest {
    CMD=$1
    shift 1
    echo "calling $1 with $@"
    $CMD $@
}
alias pacman='argtest /usr/bin/powerpill'

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-12 21:15:03)

#14 2008-10-14 02:29:19

allbluedream

Xyne wrote:

I just googled .gvfs and " cannot access './.gvfs': permission denied". The problem seems to be a bug in the Gnome virtual file system:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/225361
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=791693
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gvfs/+bug/225361/+viewstatus
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/212789
etc.

Take a look through those threads and see if anything suggested there resolves the issue. If not, I'll finally figure out how to create and apply patches so that I can post one for you (first to localize the problem, then to fix it).

Thanks for the hard work! It does seem to be a gnome fuse daemon problem or something related. I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem... Anyway, as this is no powerpill's problem, there is perhaps no need for you to release a fix? For me, I can wait for an update on the gvfs part.

#15 2008-10-15 15:50:47

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

As long as everything gets downloaded properly, that's fine with me. I hope the gnome devs are able to resolve the issue soon.

Thanks for the feedback.

#16 2008-10-17 19:00:31

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Xiong Chiamiov wrote:

I've found and fixed this error now. When parsing the arguments, I strip out the refresh arguments to avoid syncing the database twice. The error was caused by the second invocation of pacman (when it passes control to pacman) because pacman was only receiving "-S" instead of "-Sy" or "-Syy". Powerpill now passes control directly to pacman when the only requested operation is a database refresh, so this error should no longer show up.

#17 2008-10-18 00:05:55

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

Xyne wrote:
Xiong Chiamiov wrote:

I've found and fixed this error now. When parsing the arguments, I strip out the refresh arguments to avoid syncing the database twice. The error was caused by the second invocation of pacman (when it passes control to pacman) because pacman was only receiving "-S" instead of "-Sy" or "-Syy". Powerpill now passes control directly to pacman when the only requested operation is a database refresh, so this error should no longer show up.

Ah good.  Sorry that I hadn't  done that test that you requested of me; I completely forgot about powerpill 'til today, when I did a 'yaourt -Syu --aur' and I saw that there was a new version.  If there's anything I can do (with very little perl knowledge) let me know.

#18 2008-10-18 12:54:16

deltaecho

How difficult would it be to incorporate a feature that would begin installing packages as soon as all their dependencies are downloaded, while others are still downloading?  If you/we could find a good algorithm for this, it would speed up the process even more - WHOOT!

Dylon

#19 2008-10-18 20:35:21

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

That's an interesting idea. The problem that I see with it is that powerpill lets pacman handle the installation of packages. When pacman is invoked, it creates a lock file to prevent multiple instances from manipulating the database at the same time (such as during installation). The only way around that that I can think of would be to incorporate some installation functionality into powerpill directly. Although it shouldn't be too difficult, I'm reluctant to do that because it opens the doors for bugs corrupting the local database and installed packages (probably wouldn't happen, but the possibility is there, plus I think others will be less inclined to use powerpill in that case).

Actually, it would probably be possible to install packages through a thread with pacman and wait for the thread to exit before launching another one to avoid simultaneous database access conflicts, but that made me realize the greatest limitation to doing this: the packages are not downloaded in any particular order in the metalink, so some dependencies may be the last packages to be downloaded, which nullifies this approach.

My last thought on this for now is that package installation doesn't take that long (for me at least) so I'm not sure that the complexity/benefit ratio would be worth it. I'd be interested in others' thoughts about this.

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-18 20:38:06)

#20 2008-10-19 05:23:16

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

Xyne wrote:

My last thought on this for now is that package installation doesn't take that long (for me at least) so I'm not sure that the complexity/benefit ratio would be worth it. I'd be interested in others' thoughts about this.

Although it'd be pretty awesome, I think the complexity introduced would make powerpill quite un-Archy.

#21 2008-10-19 12:04:47

Sharpeee

I love this program! I just have one little problem.

The "Remaining: xxx/yyy" doesn't update while I download. It does however update everytime it starts a new download, so I don't know if it's supposed to behave like that?

Best regards,
Carsten

#22 2008-10-19 16:06:02

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Sharpeee wrote:

I love this program! I just have one little problem.

The "Remaining: xxx/yyy" doesn't update while I download. It does however update everytime it starts a new download, so I don't know if it's supposed to behave like that?

Best regards,
Carsten

Hi Carsten, welcome to the forums.

It should update as the download progresses (except for very quick downloads which pull down the files before it gets the chance), but there is some bug in there somewhere. I've noticed that it will occasionally even display a negative number. I'm still not sure what causes it. When it happens, I'll usually remove the packages from the cache and try it again to reproduce the error, but it doesn't occur the second time.

I'm aware of it and it's been annoying me for a week now, so I will figure it out eventually. I'll update powerpill as soon as I do.

#23 2008-10-19 16:22:49

creslin

Why is powerpill faster than the other methods mentioned in the wiki?
The other methods that use aria2 don't use sequential downloading,

Just a quick FYI - I think you meant to say that the aria2 alternatives do use sequential downloading (unless I misunderstood something).

ARCH|awesome3.0 powered by Pentium M 750 | 512MB DDR2-533 | Radeon X300 M
The journey is the reward.

#24 2008-10-19 16:52:39

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

creslin wrote:

Just a quick FYI - I think you meant to say that the aria2 alternatives do use sequential downloading (unless I misunderstood something).

Ah, thanks, fixed it.

#25 2008-10-19 19:59:45

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Sharpeee wrote:

The "Remaining: xxx/yyy" doesn't update while I download.

This has now been fixed (>=11.6).

EDIT: yeah, this is a double-post, but a worthy one

Last edited by Xyne (2008-10-19 20:00:28)

Board footer