You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-04 06:07:16

sud_crow
Website

Please! an estimative NOVA realease date, estimative!!

Come on!! im desperated...

I just want to know in terms of weeks or something...!!

There isnt any news, nothing!! thats not good... i think that keeping users up to date with whats going on or at least giving some kind of data, so one keeps coming to know more...

Like i sayd in my other thread, when i read about getting more ppl to know Arch, i really think you should do some kind of 'marketing' stuff, but in the good sense, i mean, if you give news, tips, or something... (if you are really interested, i could even think of something usuful, and help put if you dont have the time)... users and maybe-future-users will pay a visit to see whats going on, but if a m-f-user, come, and see in the frontpage, :  0.5 Nova    Pending when it has been more than HALF a YEAR since last release! well, i think he wont be very excited!...
I mean, you had 4 releases in 2002, and now, half-year 2003, none yet! i know you are working hard and everything! but i mean, you should have some kind of more frequent news about the progress, or whats keeping you from the release, just to make ppl coming and get involved in the stuff...

Well, its just a thought. I hope it brings some kind of... dont know the word in english :oops: .... mmm... kind of discussion but in the good way.... would be, i guess.

I really ment well with all these and hope no one gets the feeling im flaming or anything.
Its just that i really liked the Arch linux idea, and the whole community seems very interesting and supportive, and i really would like to see Arch as a top linux distro...

PS: I STILL WANT TO KNOW A DATE!!!  8)   :twisted:   lol

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2003-07-04 09:35:42

Gyroplast
Website

Re: Please! an estimative NOVA realease date, estimative!!

Just for the record about the Nova-Release..

I suppose there's hardly a reason to be anxious for the release of Nova, simply because "Half a nova" is already availably sitting on the "current" FTP servers. As it has been pointed out, The releases are merely ISOd snapshots of the current branch, and therefore you're not as depending on them as with other distros sometimes.

However, your problem isn't being up to date, your problem is downloading all the stuff you need, and therefore you have a very valid reason to beg for a release date. wink

However, there's an alternative. I'm in the process of writing up a document on how to mirror the archlinux files on a local FTP server to install and update from, and due to the nice installer concept, it's very well possible to only have a few needed packages on the install FTP server. You could download those, and then tell the FTP Install routine to use your local FTP server to install from.

Problem: You need a second machine with a running FTP server and some storage for the packages. If you've got that, the rest is immensely simple. Do tell!

Regards,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#3 2003-07-04 11:13:52

dariball
Website

btw.

if u update to the current packages through pacman -Syu u will see that new started bash login shells have a
"Arch Linux 0.5 (Nova)" Label.

actually, i think nothing really will change after the 'official' 0.5 release, because most of the packages u are using, ( if u updated ) are already 0.5.

For me it would be intressting, WHY???
why do u, not only u, but many more people have nothing more in mind than asking for the 0.5 release ... the major changes are already done, like pam support, gcc 3.3 and so on.

greetz

nothing,
maybe I have a perfect signature _someday_

#4 2003-07-04 11:25:20

Moritz

well, it's interesting for some people who ain't got large harddiscs or just a limeted access to high performance gateways...

I need to reinstall my laptop, and I won't use 0.4, because I can't use the FTP install (module for the NIC is not supported by kernel) and the HD is so small, I can't update 0.4 at once....
So waiting for 0.5 will save some time. (for me!)

Regards,
Moritz

BTW: have you ever made a pacman -Syu from a fresh installed 0.4 with a 128kBits connection? :twisted:

#5 2003-07-04 11:38:58

Gyroplast
Website

module for the NIC is not supported by kernel

Not at all, or just not on the Arch Bootdisk? In the latter case, roll your own bootdisk, and there you go. smile

BTW: have you ever made a pacman -Syu from a fresh installed 0.4 with a 128kBits connection?

I'm synching the whole current and unofficial branch with a local FTP over a 64kBit line. That's no fun, but I usually do it often enough to keep the amount of new packages small. wink At least this way, the pain of updating the workstations is considerably less.

Greets,
  Dennis

-- Dogbert

#6 2003-07-04 12:04:09

dariball
Website

as long as u own a flatrate this isn't that hard, isn't it?

but especially u germans - like me - have the chance to get dsl, if u don't live at the end of germany, helgoland or so smile

arcor, t-online, qdsl, freenet and artfiles. there are many dsl providers here...

nothing,
maybe I have a perfect signature _someday_

#7 2003-07-04 13:42:33

Moritz

Gyroplast wrote:

module for the NIC is not supported by kernel

Not at all, or just not on the Arch Bootdisk? In the latter case, roll your own bootdisk, and there you go. smile

No, it's generally not supported. That's why I need pcmcia-cs with modules.
BTW: the module is called tulip_cb

dariball wrote:

as long as u own a flatrate this isn't that hard, isn't it?

but especially u germans - like me - have the chance to get dsl, if u don't live at the end of germany, helgoland or so smile

A friend of me is living in "Bergisch Gladbach", this is about 10km from Cologne (a city with about 1 million people living in it) and he has NO DSL(!). He just uses a 28kBit modem! questions? lol

#8 2003-07-04 14:11:08

Gyroplast
Website

No, it's generally not supported. That's why I need pcmcia-cs with modules.
BTW: the module is called tulip_cb

Gnah. Which brings me back to the question that's galloping in my mind for ages now.. why the heck can't one do an FTP install from the Arch-ISO? Or, to put it differently, why isnt the FTP-Installer (with handy-dandy packages like ppp, isdn4linux and pcmcia_cs) available as a small ISO? I had just too many disks simply fail to think using disks for anything is a Good Idea[tm].

Or am I ludicruously wrong here?

Greets,
  Dennis

-- Dogbert

#9 2003-07-04 18:05:39

sud_crow
Website

Dariball wrote:

btw.

if u update to the current packages through pacman -Syu u will see that new started bash login shells have a
"Arch Linux 0.5 (Nova)" Label.

actually, i think nothing really will change after the 'official' 0.5 release, because most of the packages u are using, ( if u updated ) are already 0.5.

Well, actually i dont have any Arch linux, so i cant update, and the point of requesting a release date is that i have dialup so unless i can download a base system, and then upgrade it from the ISO when its released, i wont download anything till 0.5, becouse i cant download such big files (or such quantities of small files ;-)) ....

Also, i dont have another PC, so the

Problem: You need a second machine with a running FTP server and some storage for the packages. If you've got that, the rest is immensely simple. Do tell!

its a real problem for me...

Any way, you see what i mean? you all say its almost there, that even boots and says Nova release, so! why dont you anounce it on the main page, so everyone knows how near the release is, tell the changes, the additions, why its worth it.
I would actually like some kind of comparison beatween this and Gentoo for example...
there is always something to post and inform...

well, thanks for all the feedback! keep it coming!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#10 2003-07-04 22:20:51

apeiro
Daddy
Website

As everyone has said, Nova's just a snapshot of our regularly-updated package set wrapped up with a simple installer.

The idea is that, if you have a broadband connection or can otherwise afford to download packages regularly, you should only ever have to install Arch once.  After that the system can keep itself up-to-date with pacman's sysupgrade feature.

If, however, your internet connection isn't fit for regular downloads, you may want to download each ISO as we release them and do one big system upgrade at release time.  If you choose this route, pacman's --freshen operation would probably be of use to you...  You can mount the newest release ISO and freshen your existing system:

# mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt
# pacman --freshen /mnt/arch/pkg/*.pkg.tar.gz

As for Nova's current status....  yes, it's nearly complete.  I'm finishing up some small changes to the installer (mostly the same as 0.4's though) and preparing the new cd/disk images.

We haven't fully decided yet, but release may be delayed by a week or so, so that we get a chance to properly update the documentation.  Gyroplast has volunteered to start improving our existing docs, and it would be nice to present Nova to the world with a better idea of how to run it.  :-)

#11 2003-07-05 07:10:08

sud_crow
Website

Hi,

Well, im happy to see its close to be finished... i really want to try it.
And as you say, i think its a good idea to present it with good documentation.

Also, i checked the official documentation, and its not translated to Spanish...
I was thinking that if you dont mind... actually if you want to, i could do it.
Besides being a good contribution to the spanish-talking community, it would also serve me as practise... Spanish is my native language so, i wont have the kind of grammatical and spelling errors i have in English, any way, i would really like to do it.

Hope you take it in consideration,

Thanks for everything.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#12 2003-07-05 07:48:16

sarah31
Website

go for it.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#13 2003-07-06 03:50:57

sud_crow
Website

ok, i will!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#14 2003-07-06 11:45:04

Gyroplast
Website

Great, another translation! Yay! smile

Thou shalt be warnedth, though, I'm currently enhancing the official docs by a fair bit. It won't get less to translate, and I try to keep as much of the original text as possible so not to waste your translation efforts. Just don't be shocked if there's a new version up all out of a sudden, you'll just need to add a bit and maybe modify the structure a little.

Oh, and for the sake of flexibility, I'm moving the docs to LaTeX. If you wait until I'm done with the english docs (maybe 1-2 days from now), I could send you a package with the LaTeX docs and generation scripts I'm using here. I'd prefer that over yet another HTML-only version, really. OTOH you could just create a plain text translation right now, and then copy and paste and LaTeXify later. Your choice, really. Contact me by email, please.

Regards,
  Dennis

-- Dogbert

#15 2003-07-07 02:39:56

sud_crow
Website

Hi Gyro,

Ok i will send you an email later this night...
i have some LaTeXify quetions  :shock:

thnx for the support! :mrgreen:

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

Board footer