You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-18 00:40:52

HaloGray

Dreamweaver MX, WINE, and Arch

I tried following this guide to get Dreamweaver MX running on WINE.

dcom95 starts to install but then gives me the error "DCOM95 can only be installed on Windows 95" and stops.  Since dcom95 is required for the Dreamweaver installer to run... I can't get any farther.

Do I need to define windows 95 in my wine emulation settings?  Is there a way to do this?  Any ideas at all are very welcome.  nvu doesn't seem to be supported and Quanta just isn't cutting it for me, I'd really like to get DW working.

Help.

#2 2004-09-18 10:57:58

oscar

Re: Dreamweaver MX, WINE, and Arch

I don't mean to be rude, but running Dreamweaver in wine is stupid idea.
last time I tried, everything worked, except one thing - you can't use any file browsing!
dreamweaver is great, but not that great, if you intend to run it in wine.
there have been talk about porting dd to Linux, from macromedia, and I think we all should wait until then.

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#3 2004-09-18 19:48:55

shen
Website

I had pretty good luck using the latest cross over office....

#4 2004-09-19 07:21:03

HaloGray

oscar_ wrote:

I don't mean to be rude, but running Dreamweaver in wine is stupid idea.
last time I tried, everything worked, except one thing - you can't use any file browsing!
dreamweaver is great, but not that great, if you intend to run it in wine.
there have been talk about porting dd to Linux, from macromedia, and I think we all should wait until then.

Thanks but I'll use what works for now, and then switch if it's ever ported.  It's been requested of Macromedia for years to port their stuff, ditto for adobe... I don't see it happening any time soon... nvu looks like a great linux alternative when it gets polished off.  Until then, I'd like to get it working however I can.

I actually read the docs and such on wine and figured out how to specifiy windows 95 emulation, that allowed me to run dcom95 and thus run the installer, but now Dreamweaver is stuck on the splash screen... it wont load the rest of the program.  A little bit at a time I guess  tongue

shen wrote:

I had pretty good luck using the latest cross over office....

Doesn't that cost money though?  I'd be happier spending a little bit of extra time getting it to work on the freeware alternative.

Help.

#5 2004-11-29 12:52:20

blum
Website

HaloGray, did you succeed to get Dreamweaver working with wine? I installed DCOM98 and Dreamweaver MX, but the only thing i got is just sleeping splash screen...

thank you

Board footer