You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-19 17:29:40

opeth115

Internet does not work after kernel upgrade...

I have been reading all of the other threads and have tried everything possible to downgrade my kernel to 2.6.26 rather then 2.6.27.  I have found a package for kernel 2.6.26.2-1 and nvidia 173.14.12-2 but they do not mix and wont let me start x when i downgrade both of them.  Is there some way i can get past this as not having internet is frustrating smile

Edit:

I have tried using this

echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack
echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_dsack

and it did not work, i have also tried downgrading dhcpcd and that didn't work so i'm assumin git is infact the kernel.

Edit again:

When downgrading both the kernel and nvidia with those two packages i found, my computer boots up fine up untill i get to the command line to type "startx".  The i get this error message after typing "startx" :

Error: API mismatch: the nvidia kernel module has version 173.14.12, but thus nvidia driver component has version 177.80.  Please make sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.

After i got this i went and reinstall kernel 2.6.27 and the latest nvidia to look at the nvidia package i had installed.  I extracted it and all the was in it was a hierarchy of folders "/lib/modules/2.6.26-ARCH/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko"  and that nvidia.ko file.  Is it possible that i'm not installing the driver jsut a kernel module?

Once again... Edit lol:

Also i found a package for nvidia-utils and installed it with nvidia and the kernel and i can "startx", but it freezes everytime and i have to manually restart the computer with the reset button

Last edited by opeth115 (2008-10-19 22:03:56)

#2 2008-10-20 04:59:08

Leigh

Re: Internet does not work after kernel upgrade...

I use nvidia96xx legacy drivers with no trouble, so I'm not sure I'll be of much help. I did read the announcment that nvidia no longer supports a certain card/cards, and there is a new legacy driver in the repo. Maybe you need to be using that one?

Also, I wasn't effected with any issues with the new kernel, but I did have a small issue with dhcpcd shortly after the kernel upgrade. It kept failing when trying to connect to the Internet. It was a simple fix though. I compared my  /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd with /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd.pacnew and there was a significant difference.

I was using the string....
DHCPCD_ARGS="-N -t 30 -h $HOSTNAME"

I just needed to change it to the string in dhcpcd.pacnew....
DHCPCD_ARGS="-q -L -t 30 -h $HOSTNAME"

Anyway, sorry if this doesn't help.

-- archlinux 是一个极好的 linux

#3 2008-10-20 22:57:32

opeth115

Re: Internet does not work after kernel upgrade...

Thank you very much for your help!  I had already tried that though sad  but i have now solved it so if anybody is in my situation and is in need ot dire help i got my solution from here!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=952984

Board footer