You are not logged in.

#76 2008-09-29 01:21:06

bbs

Re: **NEW KERNEL IN AUR** kernel26zenmm-git

@ M

ok so we are half mixing apples and oranges in my mind now smile --

Do you know a way to configure the resume function to work properly with the zen kernels? I've built multiple versions of the zenmm, the zen2 2.6.27-rc5, and the zen2 2.6.26.

sure smile -- but we will get to that

With your zenmm kernels, I couldn't resume from suspend like the regualr -ARCH kernel.

ok -- zenmm does _not_ have TuxOnIce -- its done the good old fashioned way -- there is a very specific offending file and reason for this -- vmscan.c -- we will work that bug out sooner or later and all of the TOI will going in a git branch TuxOnIce -- i'm not expecting you to be following out gitweb that closely though ;p

In both the zen2 patched vanilla kernels that I compiled (2.6.26 and 2.6.27-rc5), they both came with tuxonice patches. Neither of those would suspend properly because of my nvidia module and for some reason my webcam would always start when I tried to suspend.....

^^^weird @ that -- hmm do you have any information -- logs anything like that?? that would make things easier so we can work that out for you --

zen TOI should work _fine_ out of the box -- how are you configuring your kernel?? are you using the default arch config?  are you using the config from my PKGBUILD? -- either way this has been working pretty well for me -- i'm going back and forth between a IBM x61tablet and an HP dv6119us -- just got the hp because some girl was saying she was going to throw it out her sorority window and i insisted she give it to me -- and there you go --- the whole point being that the hp has all nvidia crap in it and yes i do mean crap -- suspend is working here too

When I made my current zen2 2.6.26 kernel that I use now (everything works incredible except resume), I didn't add the tuxonice modules, and I configured the swap/resume the same way as the stock -ARCH kernel does in the wiki, but it still won't resume.... it just stays a blank screen.

i'm confused when you say i didn't add the tuxonice modules -- they are already in the kernel -- do you mean the configuration options?? -- the way i normally do things is with pm-utils -- since i do most of my work @ zen on mm i haven't even considered venturing into pm-hibernate land -- plus its not how i like to use my computers --  not sure if this is how you do it -- but it has been working for me like i said -- if you keep running into trouble i can send you my .config so you can poke around

I also tried the uswsusp method which would suspend correctly and print out a verbose message saying so, but it would break my swap when resuming and just boot into a regular boot up. Then I would have to start my swap with "swapon -a".

^^ can i see this verbose message smile -- i'm personally not a real fan of full hibernation -- i mean the obvious answer here is that it puts it all into ram and then is too dumb / wasn't told where to find itself again -- any information here would be helpful for me -- logs and the like

tying things together a bit

-any logs are useful for me if you think they _could_ be useful
-if you need my config let me know
-try the method i outlined above ^^ with that git tag and using regular git instead of the PKGBUILD since 2.6.27-rc5-mm1 sucks ^^ that will provide 2.6.27-rc7-mm1
-- email me if you like unk.nown [at] unix [dotNOSPAM] net

Any knowledge of what I might need to do to get the zen2 patch to resume correctly?

pull from regular git -- zen has been updated with a TON of new things -- we put in all sorts of new great stuff in just recently -- you can also do it via patches check out zen-sources.org for that

/jT

(quaqmire talking about a dude getting his tubes tied)
sex kinda looses its appeal without the potency -- its like a cobra without the venom -- i mean what do you have then....?  -- a belt?

#77 2008-09-29 04:51:51

methuselah

I'm sorry but all my old logs would be erased..... basically..... to keep this very long story short:

I had Archlinux installed with the Stock -ARCH kernel, the zenmm kernel (with my own config), a zen2 patched rc5 kernel, and a couple of zen2 patched 2.6.26 kernels with different latency settings and timer settings (1000HZ and 432HZ)..... (I also had a stock -ARCH patched kernel that I tried to turn into an AMD64 -ARCH kernel with 1000HZ timing, but it stayed generic x86_64 afterwards, even though all of the other settings worked?)

I had all of those working kernels on a GRUB menu..... only the stock -ARCH and the -ARCH 1000HZ would resume with pm-suspend..... all of the others would not work with pm-suspend or tuxonice hibernate scripts..... I followed all Arch wiki's and still could not get it to resume properly.

Then I tried to install Gentoo because I wanted to try it, and I erased my entire Archlinux system. The Gentoo install failed, so I went back to a clean install of Arch using the FTP because it's so fast.

I had a copy of my favorite zen2 2.6.26 kernel that worked real good, so after installing Arch, I installed that zen2 kernel and added that to my grub list..... then I tried uswsusp for my first time because pm-suspend and TOI had not worked with all of my other zen kernels.

Well, it seemed to suspend correctly, but it still had problems hibernating.... so I focused on trying to correct the resume from suspend first.

The verbose message that uswsusp would print when suspending was that it was "taking a snapshot" of a certain size, and it would say the available swap size, no error messages or anything that looked bad, then it would finish up and suspend and the multimedia LED lights would go out and it seemed like it was working.

When resuming, it would go straight into the GRUB menu, and then boot in like normal.... but usually with a broken swap file which I would have to either recreate with mkswap and swapon -a, or just swapon -a. I also tried not using the UUID and only mounting swap as /dev/sda5

Sometimes uswsusp would start a suspend, and then it would not suspend, but it would go to the login of gdm..... like if I were switching users.

Then I worried that I might have made my swap file too small.... It had originally been the exact size of my ram (4GBs), but since it never got used at all, I had decided to make the SWAP file only 1GB when I did the clean install of Arch after my Gentoo failures.

So, worried that only 1GB of SWAP might be the reason that the swap would break every time with uswsusp, I resized my SWAP partition using gparted.

After resizing the SWAP, I tried uswsusp again and still had the same exact problems with it turning the SWAP off and booting to a regular grub menu.

Anyway, my whole system felt buggy after using gparted so I decided I might as well do another install.

When I tried to do another Arch install and erase the buggy "gparted Arch", the cfdisk said that my block device had become corrupted (so I had to log into Vista to erase those sda partitions). I guess I was right when I thought it had felt buggy.

Then after this "new - clean" FTP install of Archlinux, I really haven't tried to mess with anything concerning "suspend/resume".

I'm waiting to learn about the proper way to get a vanilla kernel to resume on an Arch system..... since it seems that the -ARCH patch that I'm not using might have a lot to do with the resume process.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is the my resume swap section that I'm using right now on my zen2:

#
# Power management options
#
CONFIG_ARCH_HIBERNATION_HEADER=y
CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_PM_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_PM_SLEEP_SMP=y
CONFIG_PM_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_SUSPEND=y
CONFIG_SUSPEND_FREEZER=y
CONFIG_HIBERNATION=y
CONFIG_PM_STD_PARTITION=""
# CONFIG_TOI_CORE is not set
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCFS_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSFS_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=m
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_DOCK=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_BAY is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
CONFIG_ACPI_WMI=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_FUJ02B1 is not set
# CONFIG_EEEPC is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
# CONFIG_ACPI_PCI_SLOT is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_X86_PM_TIMER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER=m
CONFIG_ACPI_SBS=m

#

zen TOI should work _fine_ out of the box -- how are you configuring your kernel??

Even with nvidai?

..... as for configuring, I use make menuconfig, and compare it to the default -ARCH config, and then I select the exact modules that the -ARCH config has selected as modules, except for things that I know that I don't need, or don't want..... or things I want to add.

I also select and configure everything for AMD64 which is different than the generic x86_64 settings.... and of course I use the default "nice" settings in the zen tunables section, and I use the custom CFLAGS and MFLAGS for my Turion 64x2 TL-60..... plus I use the desktop setting instead of low latency, and I use "CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y" instead of preempt.... I also use 1000HZ...... I like these settings so far, they are what feels the fastest for me.

i'm confused when you say i didn't add the tuxonice modules -- they are already in the kernel -- do you mean the configuration options?? -- the way i normally do things is with pm-utils -- since i do most of my work @ zen on mm i haven't even considered venturing into pm-hibernate land -- plus its not how i like to use my computers --  not sure if this is how you do it -- but it has been working for me like i said -- if you keep running into trouble i can send you my .config so you can poke around

I'm sorry if my posts are confusing or if I don't explain myself properly.... I actually have only used your zenmm kernel from a month ago..... it didn't have a tuxonice section.

Your zenmm kernel still would not resume with regular pm-suspend from the wiki, I never tried uswsusp on the zenmm, so I don't know if that would of worked but I doubt it.

After using the zenmm for a while, I tried your zenmmotm and it would not build correctly (you had just made it on the AUR)..... so I just used the 2.6.27-rc5 zen2 patch from the zen sources page on a vanilla 2.6.27-rc5 kernel and I did it myself.....

I had the same resume problems with both your 2.6.27 rc1 zenmm kernel and the vanilla 2.6.27rc5 kernel with the 2.6.27rc5-zen2 patch from the zen sources page that I made..... I also had an issue with all the 2.6.27 kernels not being able to boot or shutdown when using the battery..... everything worked with the ac adapter plugged in.

So then I decided to start making kernels using the 2.6.26 zen2 patch and the more stable 2.6.26 kernel..... and that worked perfectly for everything except resume.....

^^ can i see this verbose message smile -- i'm personally not a real fan of full hibernation -- i mean the obvious answer here is that it puts it all into ram and then is too dumb / wasn't told where to find itself again -- any information here would be helpful for me -- logs and the like

I'll install and configure uswsusp tomorrow, and I will try to post what it was printing during the verbose suspend. This will be on my 2.6.26 kernel from here: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

using this patch: http://zen-sources.org/content/linux-kernel-2626-zen2

.... and with the settings I said above.

^^ that will provide 2.6.27-rc7-mm1

pull from regular git -- zen has been updated with a TON of new things -- we put in all sorts of new great stuff in just recently -- you can also do it via patches check out zen-sources.org for that

If you were saying that the 2.6.27-rc7-mm1 git has been updated with all sort of new goodies, then maybe I'll build another one of those and see if my battery issues are fixed yet, and if I can use the resume on that one.....

..... now to end this super long post, I just wanted to say thank you for the zenmm kernels and the advice. Building those first zenmm kernels really got me into making kernels, and I learned a lot from the first few zenmm's that I made. It gave me the confidence to build my own zen2 patched kernels using the stable 2.6.26 and a modified ABS PKGBUILD...... I'm actually totally happy with this current install I have going..... It's the 2.6.26 zen2 with all of the cflags and nice settings, and I have built almost the rest of my computer using pacbuilder and the makepkg.conf set for my Turion 64x2 TL-60..... I have everything working perfectly in xfce4...... everything except resume.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-09-29 05:13:32)

#78 2008-10-02 01:53:09

MartinZ

First of all, thanks for this awesome kernel.

And sorry for the stupid question, but how do I compile an older release? I wanna build the latest 2.6.26- one. And how may I know the available releases?

Thanks in advance.

All your base are belong to us

#79 2008-10-02 06:44:27

bbs

@MZ

sorry all hmm been really busy this week with haskell homework -- so i can't really be on top of this as much as i would like -- long and short -- 2.6.27-rc5-zenmm0,1 is there -- but is fail atm because of bad mm release -- we cannot expect them to be perfect as they are typically unstable -- i refuse to push an older version because if i do i'll be backtracking in development history -- so we are going to just move forward -- the reason for this was the repo's changed and they were changed to a fork based environment of linus git -- anyways not _that_ important -- good news though -- morton is committing a lot right now so i'm expecting a new release -- alternatively -- like i keep saying -- if you _must_ figure out a nice mm to run thats up to date -- just pull the 2008-09-23-11-27 mmotm tag off the repository -- i run it now -- hasn't hiccuped once -- and is nice with zen-tunables --

@M
looking into it now -- your post was well thought out smile -- makes things easier for me to turn things around faster -- i'm glad everyone is having fun -- hopefully we get a cripsy new mm release soon and a rebase will _CERTAINLY_ be in order -- and i'll post a fix for you soon when i come across one -- as for my HW -- its kinda hard now ;p -- and when its not hard its time consuming.

/jT

sex kinda looses its appeal without the potency -- its like a cobra without the venom -- i mean what do you have then....?  -- a belt?

#80 2008-10-02 22:19:27

MartinZ

I understand, so i'll have to wait to build a new kernel.

Thanks.

#81 2008-10-10 04:19:43

methuselah

I finally got around to building the new 2.6.27-rc7 with the zen3 patch and I still have the same ACPI problems from all my other 2.6.27 kernels.

Everything boots up and shuts down normally with the AC power adapter plugged in...... but if I start my laptop with just battery power, it will stop at the very beginning and sit there frozen until I plug the AC power back in. The same thing happens when shutting down or restarting.

Suspend also is still broke..... it won't even finish suspending..... all the LED lights stay lit and the screen is just blank but not powered down.

I also saw this new message at the end of my dmesg:

evdev.c(EVIOCGBIT): Suspicious buffer size 511, limiting output to 64 bytes. See http://userweb.kernel.org/~dtor/eviocgbit-bug.html

I also saw this message during the kernel compile, what type of problems might this create?

WARNING: modpost: Found 1 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'

#82 2008-10-11 17:35:33

bbs

methuselah,

try latest zen -- i've tried again to resolve some of yoru issues -- 2.6.27-zen0 is probably my favourite in a while -- thanks for your continued support

/jT

#83 2008-10-11 19:44:25

bbs

ALSO! -- i've updated zenmm! -- finally after much hassel -- 2.6.27-rc9-zenmm0 -- hot of the press -- test and get back to me --

/jT

#84 2008-10-11 21:06:38

methuselah

bbs wrote:

ALSO! -- i've updated zenmm! -- finally after much hassel -- 2.6.27-rc9-zenmm0 -- hot of the press -- test and get back to me --

/jT

I might build it and keep it as a trial kernel on my grub list (just like the super "low latency desktop, low latency, 432HZ AMD64 hp-wmi" 2.6.27-rc7 zen3 that I just built)..... but for now, the whole issue with the ACPI not shutting down when using the battery and not being able to complete the boot up when using the battery is keeping me on this 2.6.26-zen2.

I have one question though..... what do you think are the best settings for latency, and more importantly, the CONFIG_HZ?

This is my 2.6.26-zen2

# CONFIG_ZEN_GAMING is not set
CONFIG_ZEN_DESKTOP=y
# CONFIG_ZEN_LL_DESKTOP is not set
# CONFIG_ZEN_CUSTOM is not set

and

# CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_216 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_250 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_432 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_864 is not set
CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000

..... now with my Low Latency 2.6.27-rc7, I was trying to get a kernel that would be best for compiz-fusion effects so I tried these settings:

# CONFIG_ZEN_SERVER is not set
# CONFIG_ZEN_FILE_SERVER is not set
# CONFIG_ZEN_GAMING is not set
# CONFIG_ZEN_DESKTOP is not set
CONFIG_ZEN_LL_DESKTOP=y
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
CONFIG_RCU_TRACE=y
# CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_216 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_250 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_300 is not set
CONFIG_HZ_432=y
# CONFIG_HZ_864 is not set
# CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set

I haven't really used this 2.6.27-rc7 kernel for more than 1 hour.... because I was upset with the ACPI issues..... but during that hour, my compiz graphics didn't improve at all like I had hoped, and I felt that Firefox was a bit slower..... I had hoped for an improvement for compiz since I read this article: http://sevencapitalsins.wordpress.com/2 … ernel-wtf/

..... I wouldn't of minded a slightly slower overall performance if my graphics would improve and be "smoother" and a bit more solid when using the compiz-fusion "effects" plugin..... I mean, I have 4GB's of RAM and a nvidia graphics card with 256MB of RAM running on xfce4 with compiz-fusion, so I want to configure options in my kernel to utilize the best performance of that.

#85 2008-10-15 23:39:11

MartinZ

I also cannot compile this release, but it goes further than before. This is the error i get:

MODPOST vmlinux.o                                                  
WARNING: modpost: Found 10 section mismatch(es).                     
To see full details build your kernel with:                          
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'                               
  GEN     .version                                                   
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h                                    
  UPD     include/linux/compile.h                                    
  CC      init/version.o                                             
  LD      init/built-in.o                                            
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1                                              
  KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms1.S                                           
  AS      .tmp_kallsyms1.o                                           
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux2                                              
  KSYM    .tmp_kallsyms2.S                                           
  AS      .tmp_kallsyms2.o                                           
  LD      vmlinux                                                    
  SYSMAP  System.map                                                 
  SYSMAP  .tmp_System.map                                            
  Building modules, stage 2.                                         
  MODPOST 410 modules                                                
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin                       
  GZIP    arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.gz                    
  LD      arch/x86/boot/compressed/piggy.o                           
  LD      arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux                           
  CC      arch/x86/boot/version.o                                    
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/vmlinux.bin                                  
  OFFSETS arch/x86/boot/offsets.h                                    
  AS      arch/x86/boot/header.o
  LD      arch/x86/boot/setup.elf
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/setup.bin
  BUILD   arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Root device is (8, 6)
Setup is 11580 bytes (padded to 11776 bytes).
System is 1613 kB
CRC 7fba06be
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#3)
ERROR: "acpi_os_hotplug_execute" [drivers/acpi/dock.ko] undefined!
make[1]: *** [__modpost] Error 1
make: *** [modules] Error 2
==> ERROR: Failed... Your source tree might be broken. Run 'make mrproper' in src/zenmm to clean it up
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...

I would really appreciate some help with this!

#86 2008-10-17 02:23:55

bbs

@ methuselah

HZ config for me is always at 1000 -- hope that helps -- i'm also updaing the kernel to 2.6.27-zenmm1 tonight -- so _hopefully_ we can work on these issues with this new kernel and i'll submit your bug reports to linus and LKML.

@ martinZ -- run :  make distclean ; make mrproper  -- do this in your git directory -- and then make sure you have your .config saved because you will want to copy it (those cmmands remove the configuration file)

#87 2008-10-17 05:11:05

methuselah

bbs wrote:

@ methuselah

HZ config for me is always at 1000 -- hope that helps -- i'm also updaing the kernel to 2.6.27-zenmm1 tonight -- so _hopefully_ we can work on these issues with this new kernel and i'll submit your bug reports to linus and LKML.

@ martinZ -- run :  make distclean ; make mrproper  -- do this in your git directory -- and then make sure you have your .config saved because you will want to copy it (those cmmands remove the configuration file)

Just to let you know, I've had the same AC adapter/battery issues with the -ARCH 2.6.27-2 stock kernel. I haven't tried the "pci=nomsi" on any of the 2.6.27 kernels yet (stock Arch or zen).... also, it's a pretty new computer: HP Pavilion dv9920us ----- AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-60 4GB ----- NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M

I think I'll check your zenmm1 out in a few days, and I'll try the "pci=nomsi" on all the 2.6.27's to see if it works.

I also wanted to say thanks for listening and helping.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-10-17 05:15:55)

#88 2008-10-17 17:46:11

bbs

@methuselah -- what video drivers are youu runninng?  nvidia binaries?? -- are you installing them via the AUR pkgbuilds?  that might be an aspect of the problem -- as from what i can understand its screen init / deinit

@all  --  v2.6.27-zenmm1 (aka stable shitstain) -- is workinng like absolute *butter* -- i've added some very nice new functionality -- BEWARE -- ext4 may have some issues -- reiser4 works great since its what i use ;p -- good luck and happy hacking/using

#89 2008-10-17 20:15:41

methuselah

bbs wrote:

@methuselah -- what video drivers are youu runninng?  nvidia binaries?? -- are you installing them via the AUR pkgbuilds?  that might be an aspect of the problem -- as from what i can understand its screen init / deinit

I had been using the patched nvidia-beta-zenmm 177.13 driver from my first zenmm kernel. I had problems installing it as a package so I would install it from the /src/NVIDA-Linux-x86_64-177.13-pkg2 file with ./nvidia-installer command.

I found that it worked much better than the Arch nvidia drivers.... which always had problem with my console tty screens being "blank-black" tty screens.

Using the NVIDIA official installer fixed that for some reason. And when I tried the Arch 177.30 drivers, it broke the tty screens again.

Then I upgraded to the 177.80 NVIDIA driver from this page (tty screens work again): http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp … 77.80.html

Then I did a clean fresh FTP install of this new 2.6.27-2-ARCH kernel, and when I installed xorg, I installed Arch's nvidia 177.80-2 package and the nvidia-utils. Once again the driver works well for tty7, but the minute I switch to tty1 or tty2, I have no printed login message..... just a blank black screen..... it can still be typed on to and logged into..... I can even run a command...... but it's all blindly done on a completely "blank-black" tty screen.

So, after the ACPI issues on the stock 2.6.27-2-ARCH kernel, and the nvidia 177.80-2 package with the blank tty screens..... I decided to install my old 2.6.26zen2 (only problem is resume) and the NVIDIA 177.80 from here (works with tty screens): http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp … 77.80.html

Thanks for the help again, I hope we figure this out and fix the ACPI and resume issues..... and if this last detail helps a bit, I have tried to use the hp-wmi module as well as not using it from the misc section..... I'm thinking this is all related to the newer model of HP that I'm using.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-10-17 20:21:00)

#90 2008-10-18 16:17:08

bbs

Then I did a clean fresh FTP install of this new 2.6.27-2-ARCH kernel, and when I installed xorg, I installed Arch's nvidia 177.80-2 package and the nvidia-utils. Once again the driver works well for tty7, but the minute I switch to tty1 or tty2, I have no printed login message..... just a blank black screen..... it can still be typed on to and logged into..... I can even run a command...... but it's all blindly done on a completely "blank-black" tty screen.

have you tried CTRL-L ?? that redraws the screen and can help youu figure out if its hardware or software related

#91 2008-10-18 22:06:41

methuselah

bbs wrote:

have you tried CTRL-L ?? that redraws the screen and can help youu figure out if its hardware or software related

Whenever I get around to making my new kernel, I'll try the Arch nvidia driver again, and if it still has no printed type on the tty screen, I'll try that ctrl + l command to see if it fixes the problem.

I have another question if you don't mind, do you happen to know what the differences are between the 2.6.26zen2 and 2.6.27zenmm patches here: http://zen-sources.org/

..... also, is there a way to apply the hotfixes to a kernel that's already been compiled and patched. I know there is this app: http://zen-sources.org/project/zen-hotfix ..... but there is no README file or INSTALL file to explain how to make and install it...... I saw no configure file, only a MAKEFILE, so I assume you would just run make and makeinstall? Or maybe I could create a PKGBUILD that would build it with make, and then makepkg..... so I could have it as a .tar.gz package.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-10-18 22:09:05)

#92 2008-10-18 22:24:57

MartinZ

bbs wrote:

@ methuselah

Thanks, but didn't work. I deleted the whole src/ directory, now I'm syncin git. I'll let you know if it compiles or not.

#93 2008-10-20 14:01:37

methuselah

I just built the 2.6.27-zen2 with hotfix1..... same issue as with all the others..... works incredible with the AC adapter plugged in, but won't boot up or shutdown with it unplugged. It gets stalled at the ACPI bootup..... if I plug the AC adapter back in, it immediately finishes the boot up process.

I also started to build the 2.6.27-zenmm1 but it had a problem with a module..... I'm going to re-build it again without that module. I noticed that the zenmm1 didn't have a section for cflags (other than native), and it didn't have a zen tuneable section. I wish I knew what the differences of zen2 and zenmm1 were (besides the tuneables and cflags).

Last edited by methuselah (2008-10-20 14:04:10)

#94 2008-10-21 00:33:48

MartinZ

I finaly built the package by compiling 'acpi/dock' inside the kernel (not as a module). I don't know why did I have to do so, but otherway it just didn't work.

Now I'm pretty happy, this kernel runs really well.

#95 2008-10-21 01:47:08

methuselah

MartinZ wrote:

I finaly built the package by compiling 'acpi/dock' inside the kernel (not as a module). I don't know why did I have to do so, but otherway it just didn't work.

Now I'm pretty happy, this kernel runs really well.

Was it this module:

I ran into this when I tried to build the zenmm1..... using the same config, the zen2 did not have this error.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-10-21 01:47:47)

#96 2008-10-21 20:27:48

bbs

methuselah wrote:

I just built the 2.6.27-zen2 with hotfix1..... same issue as with all the others..... works incredible with the AC adapter plugged in, but won't boot up or shutdown with it unplugged. It gets stalled at the ACPI bootup..... if I plug the AC adapter back in, it immediately finishes the boot up process.

I also started to build the 2.6.27-zenmm1 but it had a problem with a module..... I'm going to re-build it again without that module. I noticed that the zenmm1 didn't have a section for cflags (other than native), and it didn't have a zen tuneable section. I wish I knew what the differences of zen2 and zenmm1 were (besides the tuneables and cflags).

hey -- sorry things have been getting rather busy for me again -- so i have had less time to play -- glad to see you figured out zen hotfix ;p -- i knew you would if i just let you go with it -- and no i didn't add "ricer" options to this kernel -- its a branch in zen we call "custom-cflags" -- honestly _none_ of the zen devs are running custom cflags -- its honestly silly and inhibits us from degugging things -- i would steer clear of them and appreciate the additions in functionality and bug fixes instead smile -- latest zenmm (2.6.27-zenmm1) is the best zenmm we have had in a while and was really me being fed up with the failed 2.6.27-rc5-mm1 that is still sitting up on kernel.org -- so its just based on the mmotm as it really is the same thing for now -- it just has many many bug fixes including the e1000e data corruption bug on x86 -- things like that -- hope that answers your question sufficiently.

#97 2008-10-21 20:28:22

bbs

also @mes -- what was the module that wasn't working! ;p

#98 2008-10-21 20:30:59

bbs

@all --

ok i see what everyone has been experiencing -- i was honestly under the impression that most of you had your own kernel confiugrations and were using them instead of the default one that i had in zenmm pkgbuild -- i guess the most intelligent way forward would be for me to continue to update the configuration files as we release large updates so where the known problems (i.e. the ones we arew working with lkml on ) are out of your hair -- unless they are necessary items in which case zen wouldn't even be based on those builds -- thanks for your continued support and information

#99 2008-10-21 21:47:14

methuselah

bbs wrote:

hey -- sorry things have been getting rather busy for me again -- so i have had less time to play -- glad to see you figured out zen hotfix ;p -- i knew you would if i just let you go with it -- and no i didn't add "ricer" options to this kernel -- its a branch in zen we call "custom-cflags" -- honestly _none_ of the zen devs are running custom cflags -- its honestly silly and inhibits us from degugging things -- i would steer clear of them and appreciate the additions in functionality and bug fixes instead smile -- latest zenmm (2.6.27-zenmm1) is the best zenmm we have had in a while and was really me being fed up with the failed 2.6.27-rc5-mm1 that is still sitting up on kernel.org -- so its just based on the mmotm as it really is the same thing for now -- it just has many many bug fixes including the e1000e data corruption bug on x86 -- things like that -- hope that answers your question sufficiently.

Yeah, instead of building the zen hotfix app, I just built the zen2 kernel and patched it with both patches, so it ran the zen2 patch first, and then re-patched over it with the hotfix1 patch. (seemed like it would work that way, I hope I was correct)

Yeah, stripping away the debugger options if you're one of the developers does sound stupid..... I used my AMD cflags with -Os because I'm only using the kernel and not developing it, so I want the fastest kernel possible..... plus, all my other apps are built using the same C[XX]FLAGS so I just wanted a complete system using "-march=athlon64 -msse3 -Os -pipe" and "-j3".

I don't know enough about Linux, or the kernel, to help in any development other than posting what doesn't work on my computer, so that someone with the knowledge of Linux can help fix it.

As for my config, it's basically the default ARCH config, just with the newest Firewire, Bluetooth, AMD64, desktop nice settings, CFLAGS, 1000HZ, hp-wmi, and a few other settings that are added from the zen2 patch.....

The module that gave me an error for zenmm1 was this:

I haven't tried to rebuild it yet, I think I had just included it as a "m" module in my config,  I have "dock" used by libata in my lsmod, so I'm thinking this is the same module? So maybe build it with a "y" like martinZ.

I'll give it a try and then get back to you with the results. Thanks for all the help as usual.

Last edited by methuselah (2008-10-21 21:53:16)

#100 2008-10-21 21:54:15

venky80

where can i read about the advantages of zenmm?

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

Board footer