You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-21 04:53:05

firecat53
Website

[SOLVED]Opening mailto: links from firefox in Mutt

I can't for the life of me get the darn mailto: links from Firefox to open as a new message in Mutt. I'm using Firefox 3, and Mutt (w/ Sakura terminal).
I found some links for scripts to use as the mailto handler, but a. I can't seem to get them working right just from the command line, and b. When I do get one working at least a little, I can't get Firefox to use it for the mailto! I originally had it working using Thunderbird, but I think I've so messed my mimeTypes.rdf file that I'm not sure anything will work now!!

Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks, Scott

[edit 1] Ok, I at least got a mail-handler script to open when I click the mailto: link. Now does anyone have a great script tested in Arch that will handle the mailto, including subject, cc, multiple addresses, etc? I tried one from here. It works when I use xterm, but doesn't work with sakura. It also doesn't handle multiple recipients or anything in the body. Thanks!

Last edited by firecat53 (2008-10-23 22:41:11)

#2 2008-10-21 10:37:37

Profjim

Re: [SOLVED]Opening mailto: links from firefox in Mutt

Why do you have your script processing the mailto url? Mutt can handle them directly. All your script needs to do is open a new terminal window and pass all the parameters Firefox sends it ($@) to mutt.

Here's the script I've used to do this kind of thing.

#!/bin/bash

# USAGE:
#
#    rename this script to XXX-newterminal to start new terminal window
#    with cmd=XXX and args=as passed (e.g., XXX=mutt)
#    when cmd completes, terminal window will close.

#GEOMETRY="-geometry 120x40"
TERMINAL="x-terminal-emulator"

CMD=$(basename "$0")
CMD="${CMD%*-newterminal}"
exec $TERMINAL $GEOMETRY -e "$CMD" "$@"

#3 2008-10-21 13:43:54

firecat53
Website

Wow, so it can!  Thanks very much! Much simpler! There just doesn't seem to be a lot of info on this floating around, surprisingly enough.

Scott

#4 2008-10-21 14:27:16

Profjim

I think the capability to do this was added to mutt fairly recently (in mutt-years, may have been two or three years ago in our time, for all I know). So probably a lot of the links and code you were dredging up were just out-of-date.

Board footer