You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 02:33:07

BurtHawk101

[solved] Error compiling wpa_supplicant with broadcom_wl support

Hello friends.

I'm using the broadcom_wl driver for my bcm4312 card in my Dell XPS m1530 laptop. Unsecured wifi is tested and works fine.

I need to use wpa_supplicant to connect to my university's wifi. The core package for wpa_supplicant is not compiled with broadcom support. I tried using the generic wext option, but I get

Trying to associate with 00:11:92:90:de:e1 (SSID='restricted.utexas.edu' freq=2462 MHz)
ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Device or resource busy
Association request to the driver failed

It looks like the generic wext option doesn't work for the bcm4312.

So I tried to compile wpa_supplicant with broadcom support using ABS with this package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18511 from AUR. I enabled broadcom support in the config file and pointed it toward my local copy of wlioctl.h.

Unfortunately, build() dies with

In file included from /var/abs/local/broadcom/src/src/include/proto/802.11.h:39,
                 from /var/abs/local/broadcom/src/src/include/wlioctl.h:38,
                 from ../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:34:
/var/abs/local/broadcom/src/src/include/proto/wpa.h:109:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c: In function 'wpa_driver_broadcom_event_receive':
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:229: error: 'wl_wpa_header_t' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:229: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:229: error: for each function it appears in.)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:229: error: 'wwh' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:240: error: expected expression before ')' token
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:242: error: 'WL_WPA_ETHER_TYPE' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:244: error: 'wl_wpa_snap_template' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:250: error: 'WLC_ASSOC_MSG' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:251: error: 'WL_WPA_HEADER_LEN' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:271: error: 'WLC_DISASSOC_MSG' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:275: error: 'WLC_PTK_MIC_MSG' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:280: error: 'WLC_GTK_MIC_MSG' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c: In function 'wpa_driver_broadcom_get_scan_results':
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:465: error: 'wl_bss_info_t' has no member named 'channel'
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c: In function 'wpa_driver_broadcom_associate':
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:573: error: 'WLC_GET_WEP' undeclared (first use in this function)
../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.c:576: error: 'WLC_SET_WEP' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [../src/drivers/driver_broadcom.o] Error 1
==> ERROR: Build Failed.

I don't know c. Can someone decipher this error for me?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: There are multiple versions of wlioctl.h floating around. I eventually got this to work with the version included with the wrt54g tarball. BUT, wpa_supplicant still had driver problems when being run with the -D broadcom option.

I eventually got this working with ndiswrapper and instructions found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD … y_No-Fluff
Pay special attention to the instruction:

"This Chipset/PCI ID is the correct/reliable way to identify the device: Any other labels can be misleading (e.g., notice that both the '14e4:4311 (rev 02)' and '14e4:4319 (rev 02)' call themselves a "BCM4311 (Rev 02)", even though they are different devices)."

Download the driver that matches the output of

lspci -n | grep '14e4:43'

Anyway, wpa_supplicant still gave me driver troubles when using the -D ndiswrapper option. However, it works well with -D wext.

Tldr;
-Your bcm4312 may actually be a BCM4310 (rev 01).
-Use ndiswrapper with this driver: http://myspamb8.googlepages.com/R174291-pruned.zip
-use wpa_supplicant with the -D wext option.

Last edited by BurtHawk101 (2008-11-05 06:28:04)

Board footer