You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 19:06:41

spicydonuts

awful non-steam game refresh rates and steam game crashes... any tips?

hello!

i'm an intermediate linux user who recently decided to switch from ubuntu to arch.  so far i love it.  audio works perfectly, compiz works perfectly, even hi-res videos play with no stuttering or tearing, but i cannot get any games to work.  i'm using wine 1.1.6 (same as on ubuntu) and the latest nvidia drivers (same as on ubuntu).  i have wine configured the same was it was on ubuntu (pretty close to defaults, though i've tried every setting i could find) and have also tried running games in seperate x servers.  when i attempt to run a non-steam game, like eve-online, i get a blistering 2 to 5 fps (compared to the 90+ fps on ubuntu).  steam runs fine, as far as i can tell it's exactly the same, but when i launch any steam games i get the error "engine error: failed to lock vertex buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer".  i've searched countless forums (appears to be a general linux problem, usually assosiated with bad drivers as well as a windows problem, in which case it's usually faulty or old hardware) and nothing has produced any results.  it always gives me that same error, even if i try to force a different directx level (i've tried 70, 80, 81, and 90).  the driver is the same one i used on ubuntu (yes i've tried reinstalling) and i'm sure my hardware is fine.  i've tried everything i could find with no results, but i definitely don't want to create a windows partition, especially since i know it should work fine.  any suggestions, for either problem, would be greatly appreciated!  thanks for your time!

#2 2008-10-23 14:02:52

spicydonuts

Re: awful non-steam game refresh rates and steam game crashes... any tips?

no one...? =[

Board footer