You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-23 16:42:11

thirdoculus

Java or Python?

Hey, I'm not necessarily new to programming, I've tried but failed. But then again I tried jumping right into C++. Now programming has sparked my interest again, I want to teach myself so I can have at least a minimal background before I go into college. From what I've read so far, Python and Java and  great candidates to start off with. But what I'm wondering, where is each applied? Where would I have use for Python or Java? Also, for whichever I choose, where can I get good reliable online courses, and an IDE to wrap it all up in? My intentions of where I will apply my oncoming programming skills is more systematic programming. OOP I will indeed grasp over time, but I have more of a interest of the internal construction of programs.

Thanks!

#2 2008-10-23 21:53:03

Kknd
Website

Re: Java or Python?

Just a suggestion:

Start with python, and do not use anything bigger than a simple editor (geany, gedit) and the python interpreter.

#3 2008-10-24 05:07:03

pauldonnelly

thirdoculus wrote:

My intentions of where I will apply my oncoming programming skills is more systematic programming. OOP I will indeed grasp over time, but I have more of a interest of the internal construction of programs.

I think you may be confused, because these don't make any sense. You'll get sorted out with a little experience though.

#4 2008-10-24 06:09:05

wirenik

If it's between Python and Java, definitely go with Python. I'd say start with Perl, but whatever you do, don't start with Java. And Python really doesn't need an IDE; just go with vim or nano, or gedit/geany/scite if you need something graphical.

As for learning material, you could start with man python and work up from there. I'd also recommend Learning Python from O'Reilly, but that's just because I've had good experience with O'Reilly "Learning X" books. There are also free online PDF guides; Dive Into Python (http://diveintopython.org/) is a popular one.

Last edited by wirenik (2008-10-24 06:09:26)

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#5 2008-10-24 10:30:45

moljac024

Well, that's a tough one. If you ask me, Java is also nice for beginners, it's not that hard.
I would, in fact, recommend Java to you. If you would use Netbeans or Eclipse, making GUI apps would be a breeze then.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#6 2008-10-24 12:30:45

Arkane

The problem with Java is that it's a big hairy production-oriented language right down to the core, so there's not really any way of starting in one place and introducing new concepts one after the other.

Also, it's still mostly proprietary technology.

Last edited by Arkane (2008-10-24 12:31:58)

What does not kill you will hurt a lot.

#7 2008-10-25 05:23:44

thirdoculus

Hey, thanks guys! I'm going to just start off with Python, seems better to start off with, and also since I'm not really interested in GUI apps. I am, but that is less of a priority. As for now, I just want to focus on the internal structure before moving on into the eyecandy.

Also, good thing you mentioned O'reilly, I had a PHP book written by them some time ago, and it was pretty linear, so I'll probably go out and go see if I can find their Python book at Books A Million.

Last edited by thirdoculus (2008-10-25 05:31:20)

#8 2008-10-25 06:05:02

wirenik

Just so you know, I've heard better things about Learning Python than I have about Programming Python. Like I said, O'Reilly's "Learning" books are good. Most of them (I think) have exercises at the end of every chapter, which are incredibly useful for beginners.

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#9 2008-10-25 07:51:49

thirdoculus

wirenik wrote:

Just so you know, I've heard better things about Learning Python than I have about Programming Python. Like I said, O'Reilly's "Learning" books are good. Most of them (I think) have exercises at the end of every chapter, which are incredibly useful for beginners.

I'll check both of them when I stop at the book store, and skim through both of them. Like I said, I've used O'Reilly's for PHP, and it was pretty good.
Thanks man!

Board footer