You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-11 07:58:35

colbert

Monitor power question

I use dual monitors, left monitor is LCD and right monitor is CRT, and currently use xscreensaver with it set to go at 10 mins and lock screen at same time.

1. Is screensaver necessary for safety of the monitor itself (ie., screen burn-in etc.) ??
2. When I am gone for a while I turn the monitors off (press power buttons on the front of each), and I'm wondering if this is better than letting xscreensaver turn them off after a set time-- BUT, when the power management turns the monitors "off" it seems to put them on a sort of standby where their front power lights fade to orange, and my keyboard/mouse movement when I return brings the monitors back up (green front power lights). Which way is better or does it matter?

Thx smile

#2 2008-10-12 13:27:35

robertp

Re: Monitor power question

1. Screen burn-in doesn't happen on modern CRT monitors. I guess it is no problem for LCD but I am not sure.
2. When you press power button the monitor is turned off and takes no power. When the monitor is in standby it is working (but not displaying anything) and takes some power. The best way is not to leave the monitor turned on or on standby for long time (let's say more then 30 min).

#3 2008-10-25 23:08:29

colbert

Re: Monitor power question

Thanks robertp I checked a bit more online too, and I got xlock binds going, should be good smile

Board footer