You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-26 01:46:06

jyoung2388

Pacman slowdown after update

Hey there. I wasn't totally sure where this should be posted, but I thought here might make sense. I noticed several days ago that pacman was downloading quite slowly, as in an average of 20 k/s as opposed to the usual average of about 600 k/s. After some fiddling around and then reinstalling (from 2008.06, by the way) after a stupid whim to try FreeBSD (which failed horribly), I noticed that, before the very first pacman -Syu, I was getting the 600 figures, after updating pacman I still had 600, and then after another pacman -Syu and then a reboot, that was when things started going slow again. Also, the regular connection was fine; I could still download at full speed using Transmission, or through Firefox. I was hoping somebody out there might have some idea what's wrong here and how to fix it, or at least if somebody has the same problem as I do? Thanks either way.

#2 2008-10-26 02:25:14

foutrelis
Developer
Website

Re: Pacman slowdown after update

pacman goes through the mirrors listed in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist in a top-down fashion. Make sure you pick a mirror close to you and copy it at the top of that list. Also, note that ftp.archlinux.org is throttled, so you may want to skip that one.

Let us know whether trying different mirrors improves your download speed. smile

#3 2008-10-26 02:44:07

jyoung2388

Re: Pacman slowdown after update

I actually did try that, down to using every mirror in the US, and even taking mirrors from other countries (one from Brazil, one from Germany) didn't seem to make any difference. That was the first thing I suspected it might be, but unfortunately that wasn't it... Thanks for the idea though.

Also, I just wanted to mention that I read about someone else having unrelated networking troubles, and one answer was to disable TCP windowing and IPv6. I tried both of these (out of desperation) and neither did any good.

Board footer