You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-25 21:38:12

el mariachi

nv driver + video playback?

I'm using the nv driver and video playback isn't perfect. Videos (in Mplayer and VLC for instance) stay on top of all other windows and when you move the window around the video flickers and becomes black (just while you're moving the window).

It's a fresh install.
Is it normal for the nv driver?

#2 2008-10-25 22:06:15

ChoK

Re: nv driver + video playback?

What card/version of the driver are you using

do you use compiz ? what video output are you using ? (xv, gl....)

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#3 2008-10-25 22:12:23

el mariachi

weird I selected X11 as the video output and it's fixed :S (it was blank)
I'm using the latest nv (NOT nvidia proprietary!), no compiz, but XFCE composite
Nvidia 6600GT

#4 2008-10-26 16:46:21

ChoK

Usually your problem happens when using compositing and a video ouput with 3d acceleration like Xv. X11 is not hardware accelerated, (all rendering calculations are done by your CPU) so iit is not affected.

The compositing program and the video want to redraw the same pixel, if the driver is too old it will lead to flickering, static video overlay even though the window has moved.
Current nvidia proprietary works okay with hardware accelaration, I don't know for the open one though

To see if it was the problem you can launch glxgears, and move around the window, if it's awkward, the problem lies in the open drivers
This problem will also happen with every applications that use hardware acceleration like games,in this case, disable compositing while you are using them

Last edited by ChoK (2008-10-26 16:49:04)

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

Board footer