You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-12 01:08:02

whol

How do you install Gnome thingies?

I'm running Gnome now, instead of Fluxbox.  I see some people have things like CPU gauges and HD space gauges on their taskbar, but when I try to add them "add applet" it doesnt work.

I know what gkrellem is, but I think these people are using gnome-specific applets.  I thought I installed all the gnome thingies, but I don't see them when I try to add them.

:-

#2 2004-04-12 10:34:52

zeppelin
Website

Re: How do you install Gnome thingies?

I'm not sure what you mean by "it doesn't work"
try a pacman -S gnome-applets
and you 'll get the basic ones.

#3 2004-04-12 18:20:38

whol

By "doesn't work", I mean I dont see any cool applets to add.  I try to find the applets that I can embed in the taskbar, or place on the desktop - I don't see them.  All I see are programs that run independently.

#4 2004-04-13 04:59:58

punkass

the ones on the desktop are done with  gdesklets, which is the base, of which there is a arch package i believe.  Then you can find the ones u want to use here http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/

#5 2004-04-15 16:42:15

skoal
Website

punkass wrote:

the ones on the desktop are done with  gdesklets, which is the base, of which there is a arch package i believe.  Then you can find the ones u want to use here http://gdesklets.gnomedesktop.org/

Whew! That about sums up my experience with gdesklets some time ago.  I kept getting all types of errors when installing the sensor packages.  Some would work, and some wouldn't.  I got a few of the gdesklets to work, but not the ones I wanted...so, I gave up a while back.

If anyone gets the Psi-lite suite of sensors/displays working, please reply back in this thread.

thanks.

#6 2004-04-16 03:31:37

punkass

I have the starterbar desklet working, that is all i am using right now.

Tho, i did have some LT ones running, showed memory and the weather i think.

The one thing u have to make sure of is that u run gdesklets with no parameters, just   > gdesklets    and if that works then run gdesklets yourapp.display

#7 2004-04-17 22:42:14

skoal
Website

punkass wrote:

The one thing u have to make sure of is that u run gdesklets with no parameters, just   > gdesklets    and if that works then run gdesklets yourapp.display...

Yeah, I follow that same procedure (as outlined in the FAQ for gdesklets).  However, some of the nice looking sensor/displays (like PSI), error out when I run the associated "...InsallSensor.bin" file.

A window pops up saying something about tar extraction problems.  From what I can tell, it places some python files in the proper spots in my home directory, but when I launch the displays, it errors out.

It would be nice just to get them to work, but maybe the memory leaks and consumption I've heard while using "gdesklets" isn't worth the trouble.

#8 2004-04-18 00:08:53

punkass

yeah i came across some of those tar errors, wasnt really sure what they were...just kept trying different desklets till some worked.

#9 2004-09-01 03:33:20

longhornxtreme

I'm getting those same Tar problems as I speak trying to install the Psi sensors....

OT: any of ya'll gotten the corner XMMS to work either with Arch? I get another sensor error... lol

Gdesklets looks MUCH better than karamba... I just don't know what the hell I'm doing trying to get these sensors working....

#10 2004-09-09 12:28:50

kumo
Website

I saw on the gdesklets forum that you have to install a "later" version of gzip although it is a beta version (1.3.3)  - I compiled and installed it and now the psi package installs properly.

#11 2004-09-09 18:03:21

longhornxtreme

Thanks for the reply Kumo...

I'll go find out about the beta gzip package...

Do you have the linky for the gdesklet forum where it talks about this issue? I must've spent at least 30-40 minutes perusing their forum trying to find a fix to install all the sensors....

#12 2004-09-10 05:57:55

longhornxtreme

Well i succesfully installed the beta gzip... but now when I go to install the sensors

I get this....

[root@myhost sensors]# sh Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 15: import: command not found
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 18: ERROR_B64: command not found
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 20: ERROR_TAR: command not found
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 22: SUCCESS: command not found
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 27: no_message: command not found
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 28: list_only: command not found
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 29: destination: command not found
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 32: args: command not found
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 34: syntax error near unexpected token `if'
Install_Battery2_Sensor.bin: line 34: `    if (p == "--nomsg"): no_message = 1'

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong....

UPDATE:  have to use ./ instead of sh...

I really should learn the diff between using those two... |  <---- linux newb

#13 2004-09-20 11:01:04

oscar

you want a simple tip?

pacman -S gnome-extra

it will install a lot of nice eyecandy for your gnome desktop smile

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

#14 2004-09-20 15:04:15

longhornxtreme

ALready have that installed,

I really wanted to get the Psi desklets up and running.... oh well....

#15 2004-09-24 13:53:17

kumo
Website

longhornxtreme wrote:

Do you have the linky for the gdesklet forum where it talks about this issue? I must've spent at least 30-40 minutes perusing their forum trying to find a fix to install all the sensors....

Sorry, there were a number of topics that suggested the gzip problem, but here is the one I saw: http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopi … light=gzip

Once I had installed the gzip package (making sure that the files go into /usr/bin rather than /usr/local/bin) I was able to install all the sensors without any errors -- have you been able to install the sensors?

Once the sensors are installed you have to install the display files so I did "gdesklets open *" in the display directory although they all appeared in the wrong place...

#16 2004-09-24 20:36:36

longhornxtreme

I figured out the gzip problem and got the sensors installed but still had no luck in getting the PSI sensors up and running...

#17 2004-09-28 06:11:28

skoal
Website

longhornxtreme wrote:

I figured out the gzip problem and got the sensors installed but still had no luck in getting the PSI sensors up and running...

This thread is kinda ironic.  As you can tell from my prior posts within this thread I was trying to get those sensors working too.

In no small part, I gave up on them and switched to XFCE-4, which has all those sensors and better implementaions IMHO.  Especially, in gnome some of those sensor packages gave me memory leaks and it was apparent.

I switched to XFCE-4 and have never looked back, except occasionally at this thread to check and see when you guys who are still trying to get these sensors to work in Gnome will do the same as I did.  If you haven't tried XFCE-4 yet, you really should.  If you are using Xorg server and running "xcompmgr", you can even make the panel (which holds the sensors) transparent as well, which gives the same affect (eye candy) as the PSI sensors and others for Gnome. The latest XFCE-4 4.2 release soon to be out will really make Gnome obsolete.

If I can be so bold...I think a reckless analogy of current Gnome development in comparison with XFCE-4 would be the parallel between Mozilla development and Firefox.  Firefox/XFCE-4 = all the features of Mozilla/Gnome you care about, with none of the bloat you don't.

#18 2004-09-28 12:38:05

Shane

I've used XFCE quite extensively on my FreeBSD box before, and I've installed it on my cousin's ageing sony vaio. It works well on older hardware where running Gnome isn't an option. However, it lacks polish in some areas. I'm not fond of its file browser. So much so that I installed rox-filer and used that instead.

gdesklets work on XFCE as well. The first time I used gdesklets was with XFCE. The XFCE panel is nice - I prefer it to Gnome's. However, the XFCE applets can't compete with gdesklets in terms of eye-candy.

XFCE is a great option - it fills the niche between the minimal window managers (blackbox  & co.) and the full-blown desktop environments (like Gnome and KDE). But I don't think it will make Gnome obsolete any time soon. Certainly, if it ever does it will itself have to be a Gnome-like full blown desktop environment. Which is not what the users of XFCE want.

#19 2004-09-28 18:01:52

longhornxtreme

Mabye I didn't spend enough time with xfce when i was playing around with it... but I really couldn't stand it... Must've been how the menubar seemed to me....  I HATE when you can't get windows to not cover it and I hate when the menubar has to told to stay on top covering up status bars etc... on the bottom...

I couldn't stand the filebrowser... give me nautilus anyday...

Other than that XFCE seemed really promising....

#20 2004-09-28 18:36:34

skoal
Website

longhornxtreme wrote:

Mabye I didn't spend enough time with xfce when i was playing around with it... but I really couldn't stand it... Must've been how the menubar seemed to me....  I HATE when you can't get windows to not cover it and I hate when the menubar has to told to stay on top covering up status bars etc... on the bottom...

I couldn't stand the filebrowser... give me nautilus anyday...

Other than that XFCE seemed really promising....

You make some very valid points.  I don't ever use filebrowsers anyway.  I'm a console script man myself, but I've heard similiar gripes about "xffm" (i think that's what it's called).

The panel covering up stuff can be annoying if you don't set up your window apps to work around it.  I'm sure there is a way in the "~/.xfce-4" path to remove displaying the panel altogether (probably is one of the .xml config files).

* But, I think your most important point is "not playing around" with it enough.  I didn't quite leap out of my chair either the first time I saw and used it.  However, after I spent some time in the Main configuration menu, I played around with just about every setting you can imagine...and, after throwing doodad here and doodad there, I said,

"hey, this is some pretty slick *$!@"

...and, after about another hour or so playing with it, I noticed I was hopping around from window to window and app to app with no hesitation or delay, unlike the painful long stares at my wristwatch while in Gnome.  I just leaned back in my chair, threw my hands atop my head and said,

"@#!% an a!"

#21 2004-09-28 22:39:21

longhornxtreme

I went through all the main menu config type stuff.... Couldn't find a way to get a more normal taskbar... couldn't even get one with fluxbox type capability...

I'll go pacman it in a minute and play with it somemore but with the exception of no gdesklet eyecandy, gnome2.8 seems pretty good...  Hands and feet better than KDE and I used to be a KDE fanboy....

#22 2004-09-28 22:53:39

longhornxtreme

Ugggh.... just tried it out... can't stand it... I'm sorry but I have to have a taskbar...

Has xfce changed a bunch in the last few months?  Cause There's no nice configuration section anymore....

#23 2004-09-29 01:48:06

skoal
Website

longhornxtreme wrote:

Ugggh.... just tried it out... can't stand it... I'm sorry but I have to have a taskbar...

Has xfce changed a bunch in the last few months?  Cause There's no nice configuration section anymore....

No taskbar in XFCE-4?

If you right click on desktop, "Settings->All Settings", you should see an entry for "taskbar".  You can reposition it top or bottom, change size, show all tasks, etc.

Are you sure you got the right "xfce"?  I believe you have to tell pacman to get "xfce4", not "xfce".

Then, you can install all the "plugin" stuff separately, one at a time, like:

"xfce4-weather-plugin"
"xfce4-wlan-plugin"
etc.

#24 2004-09-29 03:06:25

longhornxtreme

ahhhhh

That's what i did wrong... i told pacman just xfce...

DOH. *bangs head for not checking the package list*

Sorry for my rant earlier... I'll go check out xfce4, that must be the version i tried out awhile ago...

EDIT:

Well I've got one MAJOR gripe... I've gotten over the fact that I can't make the menu thinner and expand across the whole screen... unless i add random stuff....  I can't seem to figure out how to get the Gaim system tray icon into the main panel instead of the taskbar...

My biggest complaint has to be the fact that I can't right lick on windows in the taskbar... its driving me insane... I'm used to sending files to different desktops and such with the taskbar...  It's quite annoying not being able to close windows as well....

Maybe I'll come back to XFCE4 when its upgraded... but for now Gnome is just more productive for me... and call me crazy but gnome feels faster....    never could get the PSI desklets running here either...

#25 2004-09-29 05:08:01

skoal
Website

My biggest complaint has to be the fact that I can't right lick on windows in the taskbar... its driving me insane... I'm used to sending files to different desktops and such with the taskbar...  It's quite annoying not being able to close windows as well....

I'm pretty sure there is a plugin for that.

You are right that XFCE-4 has a few things missing.  The CVS version in the "testing" repositories (i think) will give you a taste of the 4.2 release, which addresses all those valid points you make in this thread about XFCE-4.  Still no definitive date when 4.2 will come out.  If you were a Gnome Gnutt like I was, I think the 4.2 release will be the handshake to close the deal for ya.

stay tuned...

Board footer