You are not logged in.

#26 2008-10-22 23:23:43

synorgy
Website

Re: Has anyone ever been able to leave openbox for good?

Openbox is great, but I've found a few WM's that fit me better. The best example of this is pekWM. IMO, pekWM and Openbox both seem to strive towards many of the same goals, but they seem to go about them different ways. I love the pure power of pekWM, but for minimalism - nothing beats openbox.

As a side note - I've been pretty stuck with Xfwm4 and Xfce recently because pekWM isn't playing nice atm. If you spend a bit of time with Xfce - you can really get it to work with you rather than the other way around (which is what happens with KDE and Gnome)

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#27 2008-10-23 00:54:40

smakked

I tried it for a few weeks but went back to gnome, it just feels smoother to me, and also OB runs slower then Gnome on my system. I like KDE4 but  it kept crashing so for now Gnome 2.24 is nice and does all i need and want it to. I am a big Epiphany fan aswell big_smile

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#28 2008-10-23 01:15:29

dsr

rine wrote:

Once you go tiling you never go back.

+1

Nothing I've tried just works like ratpoison.

#29 2008-10-23 04:55:18

chris_ak

smakked wrote:

I tried it for a few weeks but went back to gnome, it just feels smoother to me, and also OB runs slower then Gnome on my system. I like KDE4 but  it kept crashing so for now Gnome 2.24 is nice and does all i need and want it to. I am a big Epiphany fan aswell big_smile

Openbox runs slower than gnome?  I'm not much of an expert, but that doesn't make sense to me.  Are you using openbox standalone?  Or are you just using it as a WM for gnome?

#30 2008-10-23 08:18:46

smakked

Well on my system apps hang while starting up , i don't have this issue on Gnome, even done it after a clean install.

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#31 2008-10-23 08:49:10

chris_ak

smakked wrote:

Well on my system apps hang while starting up , i don't have this issue on Gnome, even done it after a clean install.

Interesting.  Have you tried starting them in the terminal to see if anything comes up?

#32 2008-10-23 09:24:58

smakked

Yes i have actually and nothign comes up at all??
Will mess around with it again over the weekend and see what i can come up with

By the way OB runs sweet as on my old laptop big_smile old compaq armada M700 .

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#33 2008-10-23 19:28:01

Square

I used Awesome2.3 for the longest time, but then decided to try openbox.
Since then, I've tried just about every WM I can get my hands on. Well over 15 different WMs and DEs, but I can't manage to find anything that matches openbox. I'm torn, however, because I do miss awesome, but the awesome3 configuration drives me mad.

I don't know if I'll ever leave openbox big_smile

#34 2008-10-27 02:59:32

cardinals_fan

I moved to dwm.  It's just lighter and has better keyboard control (without much work).

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

#35 2008-10-27 04:43:15

smakked

Setup OB on the weekend and it was nice but im messing with Icewm and it is even snappier smile

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#36 2008-10-27 06:20:07

SomeGuyDude

For me, it has to be a balance of form, function, and ease.

GNOME has form and ease. It looks amazing with Compiz rolling and is as easy as pie to work with. Unfortunately, it's bloated and comes with too much crap for my tastes.

The various tiling managers (particularly wmii) had function out the wazoo, enough to override form (if anyone says a TWM looks pretty, they're a liar). However, the stupid amount of work needed to customize them just far exceeds the benefits. I am emphatically not going to learn a coding language just so I can make my WM work how I want it.

OpenBox looks nice, works very well, and I can fix it up without having to learn Haskell or that goofy Lua language.

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#37 2008-10-27 20:17:35

dsr

SomeGuyDude, ratpoison is extremely easy to customize.

#38 2008-10-27 20:31:31

Ranguvar

I started with KDE, tried Gnome (waaay too little settings, etc.), then Openbox...

I did pull away from Openbox, though. IMHO PekWM is a great alternative. More features in the actual WM, but just as fast and with no ride-along panels or anything. Personally, for a traditional WM, I like Compiz Fusion by itself. Not really for the flashy effects - it is extremely customizable, has a nice plugin system, very good theming through Emerald, handles transparency, fades, and shadows better and faster than xcompmgr, etc... The one thing I miss is a script to auto-add applications to Compiz Deskmenu. I'd probably write one if I wasn't...

...Now checking out tiling WMs smile I have Awesome3 right now. Definitely a breath of fresh air, and I think I'll get a bigger monitor soon to use it more to its potential. I'm using Awesome more to get used to the whole tiling concept, etc. Since I never used Awesome 2, and I wanted to learn Lua anyways for quick PSP programming, the configs aren't a problem for me. I do intend on trying wmii, dwm, xmonad, and Stumpwm once I have some experience behind me.

#39 2008-11-03 06:07:45

skottish
Forum Fellow

Last night I installed Openbox for about the tenth time and decided to see if I can get it work for me. It took less than 24 hours to come back to E17. You know what the last thing that broke me down? Openbox swallowed the back arrow's ability to repeat! I already spent a day searching for answers for configurations that take about five seconds in E17, and the last thing I wanted to do is figure out why the hell I had to push the back arrow over and over again to make minor corrections to lines! Of course trying and failing to find a basic panel that could handle transparency correctly proved to be a major headache. And weirdnesses with the mouse not really grabbing window borders... And the X problems.... And..... I'm back home.

#40 2008-11-03 07:25:05

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I ran Openbox with pypanel for a couple of years, I ran ubuntu for a while got used to Gnome again and never went back....

Mr Green

#41 2008-11-03 08:32:20

shazeal

I used fluxbox, then openbox. After a while I realised I actually had a really good machine and installed Gnome, Compiz and KDE, all I need is a script to randomly boot into one of them. I tend to just switch around when I get bored of one.
Never touched a tiling WM, I heard theyre addictive.

friedeggsunnysideupqh5.th.jpgthpix.gif

#42 2008-11-03 20:59:47

chilebiker

I used KDE, but after the switch to KDE 4 i got bored and installed Openbox. It took me a while to setup, but now I'm happy with my system! For my wife and kids I have XFCE installed, and on a old laptop I use IceWM. They're both pretty nice as well, but personally I go for OB! No plans to change soon...

Don't panic!

#43 2008-11-03 21:35:12

smakked

Ive gobne back to gnome basically because im lazy and i dont see why i have to set everything up it should be done when you install a DE or WM  so gnome it is.. And really who has teh time to set everything up? Spose if you dotn have a life outside a PC tongue

Last edited by smakked (2008-11-03 21:36:00)

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#44 2008-11-03 21:56:01

Themaister
Website

I've only seriously used GNOME and Openbox. GNOME is very, very good, but I tended to use terminal and keyboard shortcuts after a while. So I went to Openbox, went back and tried GNOME 2.24, but landed back on OB again wink
Easy to set up, easy to use, and just as minimalist as I want it big_smile

#45 2008-11-03 23:10:42

ninjaprawn

i love tinkering with my machine, messing about & breaking bits, so i can fix them, and set my machine up differently!
i started with kde with & without compiz-fusion, loved both, but its far to heavy for my weak machine,
moved to gnome, wasnt a big fan, just didnt seem to do wot i wanted, so tried Xfce n found it a little better but to similiar to gnome!
now ive been on fluxbox for 8 months, and i have a problem!! i love it! but keep hearing so much bout OB! wot is so special and different bout OB to FB??? im going to have to give it and a few others a try! the only real issue i have with FB is that i cant quite get it to look right! other than asthetics, its perfect!!

also, arch is awsome, just does everything properly! still no luck with web browsers tho!

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

#46 2008-11-03 23:16:41

Gullible Jones

I'm using Awesome right now and really liking it; I'd say it might be an Openbox-killer for me.

#47 2008-11-03 23:18:01

devil_kc

rine wrote:

+1

kde3.x->gnome->fluxbox->awesome2->awesome 3.
tiling wm ftw!

#48 2008-11-04 09:07:56

onearm
Website

My path in regards to WMs has been: Kde for years->blackbox for some days->gnome briefly->xfce very briefly->openbox since I discovered it on this forum->e17 very briefly->awesome3 for a couple of weeks->openbox again (and some compiz along the way too).
The question now is mostly about if I can find a tiling wm that is not too hard to get used to and does everything openbox does and is still nice looking. Awesome was the best contender but it has failed (because it's overkill to learn a new language just to handle windows, because it was strangely slow in handling more than one urxvt at once on screen, because I didn't like the concept of having an application for tag and floating apps were handled worse than in openbox, because I haven't find a way to have a windows always maximized or in every tag but this may be from my lack of good lua knowledge).

I'm going to try stumpwm because it seems philosophically different from most WMs and because openbox is not perfect.

So for me, I haven't been able to leave openbox for good (yet).

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#49 2008-11-04 10:12:44

moon

rine wrote:

+1 too smile

really I have never used openbox, just blackbox

gnome ---> evilwm ---> blackbox ----> xmonad ----> echinus ----> awesome 2 ---> awesome 3
maybe I only would go back from tiling to evilwm

Last edited by moon (2008-11-04 10:17:18)

#50 2008-11-04 10:26:55

ArchArael

Gullible Jones wrote:

I'm using Awesome right now and really liking it; I'd say it might be an Openbox-killer for me.

I tried several times to use awesome3. Still is on my machine but I always end up with openbox. I found my perfect configuration and it's really difficult find something better.

For people missing compiz expose try mouse wheel click. It gives the overview of all desktops. I mapped this to Ctrl-space shortcut and I'm using it a lot. I really like awesome window manager but every time I use it i find something is missing. Maybe I'm too openbox mindset. big_smile

Tried also other window managers but openbox sounds always like home. I also don't know if I'll ever leave openbox...just like someone said it before.

Last edited by ArchArael (2008-11-04 10:27:59)

Board footer