You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-27 04:48:21

smakked

Any ICEWM users?

Well over the weekend i messed with OB and set it all up and it was nice and snappy, and looked nice. But i was bored last night and installed icewm. To me it is noticably faster then OB was , faster as in opening applications andmoving windows etc.

Are there many users of icewm or has it gone by the waty side?
And it is reasonable easy to configure and modify.
If users are here whats some tips with it, i am starting to really like it.

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#2 2008-10-27 08:41:24

my0pic

Re: Any ICEWM users?

icewm is great. I use it on anything that I use vnc to get a remote desktop on. It's really light on resources and usually my first pick when setting up older machines. Super quick on new ones!! Some links you may find useful:
icewm manual
icewm FAQ
and a blog guide.
I only recently started customising the preferences file to my liking and it was sooo easy to do. Probably one of the easiest wm's to configure I'd say.

#3 2008-10-27 09:31:32

icrave

It's my favourite wm. Stable, fast, light, complete, robust...
The theming for window decorations is great, you can create any look you want... but taskbar theming is another history, It's a really pain to make it beautiful.

Now, I'm in KDE4 because I got sick of trying to make the taskbar looks like clearlooks.

Tips... I don't know, there is no secrets here. Try it, configure it and enjoy it.
For themes... box-look and freshmeat.

PD: I recommend "Simple" theme (match perfectly with GTK simple theme in gnome-themes package)

Edit: My own IceWM PKGBUILD (No GTK1 dependency and update to 1.3.3)

pkgname=icewm
pkgver=1.3.3
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A Window Manager designed for speed, usability, and consistency"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://www.icewm.org/"
license=('LGPL')
depends=('gcc-libs' 'libxrandr' 'libxft' 'libsm' 'libxinerama' 'giflib')
source=(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/icewm/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz)

build() {
   cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}-${pkgver} || return 1
   ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc  --enable-shaped-decorations --enable-gradients || return 1
   make || return 1
   make DESTDIR=${pkgdir} install || return 1
}

Last edited by icrave (2008-10-27 09:42:06)

#4 2008-10-27 10:11:17

smakked

Cheers for teh package build saves me doing it big_smile

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#5 2008-10-27 12:15:31

Mektub

Thanks for the PKGBUILD, icrave.

I have been using icewm for ages, now.

I suppose new users are a bit putoff by having to edit some text files, but as soon has you get used to it its a breeze
to configure. And there is always 'icewm-utils' on community that contains several graphic configurators.

From the files in '~/.icewm' I particularly enjoy 'winoptions' that allows me to open a particular application on a
specific workspace, to show up in the tray or not at all, to be sticky or not or to change the icon, etc.

'.icewm/startup' as the name says is executed at login and there I start my applications on monitor 1 or 2 (have
dualhead nvidia),  and '.icewm/shutdown' is also handy.

And dont forget '.icewm/keys' to bind some shortcuts.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#6 2008-10-27 15:07:51

Intrepid

It was my absolute favorite stacking window manager until I discovered openbox+fbpanel and compiz fusion in Gnome.  For an all-in-one window manager though, icewm does a great job.  The window borders are among the best, and I think in stacking window managers the Winkey+keypad to move the window to corners of the screen is perfect.  Of course, Openbox can do everything Icewm can do and then some, but imo window placement is better in Icewm.

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#7 2008-10-27 21:49:02

chilebiker

I use IceWM on a old laptop for my clients and I have a XP-like theme installed (forgot the name) to actually hide linux. IceWM works great on older hardware and it is not very difficult to setup. On my own machine I prefer Openbox + FBPanel though.

Don't panic!

#8 2008-10-28 08:22:50

smakked

I trieed you package icrave but it was very unstable for me and had some huge memory leaks so im back to the one on teh repos now and it all works fine so im happy. Any idea how hard it would be to get true transparency into ice?

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

Board footer