You are not logged in.

#26 2004-08-20 18:36:26

sarah31
Website

Re: 64bit howto [help needed]

i think you should buy a wonder woman #1 (first series) for me instead.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#27 2004-08-20 18:43:28

dp
Website

#28 2004-08-20 19:24:36

dp
Website

sarah31 wrote:

buy a wonder woman?  you cannot buy women!

women are only opensource to those, who can listen to them - men's sourcecode is freely available for any woman on this world - that's why men have a small disadvantage

:-)

(what do you mean with "first series" is not clear to me)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#29 2004-08-20 19:35:13

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dp wrote:
sarah31 wrote:

I believe wonder woman is a comic book series... first series would probably be some collector item.

Dusty

#30 2004-08-20 20:14:55

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:
dp wrote:
sarah31 wrote:

I believe wonder woman is a comic book series... first series would probably be some collector item.

Dusty

ohh ... ups ... then my comment is not directly in-subject, sorry

i have no money to collect anything --- if i would have, i would spend it for a better macro lens for fotography and not comics (it's maybe a different culture - here, not much people collect comics, but pins or timbres or kaffirahmdeckeli (if you wonder, what that is: http://www.cediweb.ch/krd/ or http://mypage.bluewin.ch/tac/krd/index_de.html :-) ))

#31 2004-08-20 20:35:53

sarah31
Website

this one would do:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … 72556&rd=1

ot you could get me a telephoto lens for my camera and maybe a wide angle lens too.

or maybe just a low end G5 box.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#32 2004-08-20 21:12:14

dp
Website

2kUS$ for a 10¢ paper? wow!!!

by the way: i searched the net and must say: this wonder woman comic thing has 1 good thing and 1 bad thing:

- a stong woman is a good ideal wor women/girls

- if you must look like this to be liked respectively to be strong, then something with our civilisation went terribly wrong

sorry, to be philosophical respecively giving here a lecture in gender studies, but when i saw this pic:
linda_carter.gif
i had to write my opinion somewhere down (this woman will have / has medical problems in the region of the stomach/digestion part - dis is degradating - call me a male feminist (if something exists), but this is really stupid)

sarah31 wrote:

ot you could get me a telephoto lens for my camera and maybe a wide angle lens too.

or maybe just a low end G5 box.

ohh, yea - as if i would have enough money for that *hah*

if you need a telephoto lens, i can sell you my old one (80-200 minolta)

and if you are good in marketing and help me make business of my fotography, i can offer you 20% of the income :-)

#33 2004-08-20 21:14:10

dp
Website

are they equal?

wonder_woman_steve_trevor.gif

... and why is she destroying her digestion tract?

#34 2004-09-21 07:43:55

GGO
Website

It seems to me that the opteron series is the best deal when it comes to amd64 setups. They have 1MB of cache, and they will be upgradable to dual-core in 2006. The only drawback compared to socket 939 processors is that you have to use registered DDR, which is a bit more expensive, and doesn't deliver quite the same performance.

If you are not going to get an opteron, then a socket 754 amd64 processor seems like the next best thing. Socket 939 really isn't all that future-proof, and it costs alot more. Socket 939 will be obviated by something else when DDR2 starts coming out.

The 64 bit system I'm waiting for will have DDR2, and amd64, and PCI-e. It's going to be awhile before the pricing is right for that though.

Edit: It is my understanding that the G5's pipeline is shorter than the amd64 chips, and that they run at a similar clock rate. So in theory they could be more powerful than 64-bit RISC type chips. But in reality they are blown away by everything else in the high-end market. Especially the power-4's. G5's are essentially cut down power-4 chips from IBM.

I have actually been thinking about ditching all my games and such, and buying a PPC. It would be fun, or at least I think so. Of course that brings up the main disadvantage of PPC chips, that they really don't have the ability to run all the code that x86 processors can. And that PPC platforms don't have 3D acceleration under linux, and are missing quite a few other features.

#35 2004-09-22 03:17:21

LavaPunk

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,a … g,1,00.asp

This might give a bit of perspective into the amd vs g5 argument?  Gives you something to compare at least.

#36 2004-09-22 23:42:23

aCoder
Website

Yeah, sure, btx increases 'airflow'.  That's crap.  Besides, real PCs run at 100+db!

This is just more of Intel's, 'Hey! Let's build Intel products with everything integrated in a pointless attempt to make entire industries, (like cooling, in this case), obsolete!  Then we can all sit around and eat doughnuts, but not the good kind, but the old leftovers they throw out at the end of the day!' attitude.

Of course, as for ATX-compliant mobos, if you're getting an AMD64, Asus, Soyo, and XFX seem to make the best reasonably-priced boards, IMO.  Also, I've always liked the nVidia chips since they've been available, although AMD64 cpus usually take over quite a bit of what the southbridge usually does.

If I go 64-bit, it's definitely going to be a G5 though.  I'll even ditch OSX, and probably put Gentoo on it for now, although it might be fun to port Arch...

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#37 2004-09-24 06:41:13

GGO
Website

Just to point something out, 64-bit cpu's from AMD take over some of the tasks of the northbridge. Specifically they have the memory controller integrated into the core. Since the northbridge in AMD64 setups really don't have much to do anymore, they now integrate the remaining functions into a single chip. Which yields more performance/lower latencies for lots of components.

#38 2004-10-22 14:46:56

xerxes2
Website

just a tip to everyone that are looking for a amd64 cpu:

wait a few weeks until amd is releasing 0.09nm 939 pins cpus at a lower price,
no need for buying 754 pins anymore  big_smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer