You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-24 12:29:39

LeoSolaris

[SOLVED] New Synaptic and scrolling.

Ok, for some reason my scrolling on my Dell Inspiron 1520's touchpad decided to stop working today, or at least I just noticed it today...

Anyways, I did a little research and found this: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=55794

It seems I am SOL because I do not have an old copy of Xorg in my cache. (just cleaned it before noticing the problem...   ahh  irony!)

So instead of whining and carrying on about the "screwed up package" and "how could you mean ole Arch Devs do this to my poor lil computer?!?" I am going to ask if there is anyone out there who knows how to configure the new xorg.conf so it will play nice with my touchpad. I am assuming that they changed the commands, or something similar. Hopefully this isn't a permanent situation.

Time to figure out how to work these little slide-y things I keep seeing on the sides of my windows.

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2008-10-24 13:45:11)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#2 2008-10-24 12:35:59

GERGE
Website

Re: [SOLVED] New Synaptic and scrolling.

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice    "Touchpad"    "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load  "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
Option "RightEdge" "5300"
Option "TopEdge" "1700"
Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
Option "FingerLow" "25"
Option "FingerHigh" "30"
Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
Option "HorizScrollDelta"   "0"
Option "MaxTapMove" "0"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "0"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.06"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.12"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0010"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

My touchpad entry is this. Tapping and side scrolling are disables. In order to enable them change this lines to your taste:

Option "HorizScrollDelta"   "0"
Option "MaxTapMove" "0"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "0"

To change speed chance this lines:

Option "MinSpeed" "0.06"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.12"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0010"

Last edited by GERGE (2008-10-24 12:37:44)

#3 2008-10-24 13:44:44

LeoSolaris

Ok, after pouring over Xorg's website, manpages, and synaptics manpage (and, oddly enough GERGE, your comment sparked a memory that lead to the fix, so thank you!) I finally figured out what was missing. I had all of the scroll delta and left side stuff set up, but I was missing "VertEdgeScroll" "on" and I have no idea why.

Apparently it was missing when I originally altered my xorg.conf to enable scrolling and circular scrolling, but before Xorg automatically enabled it because "VertScrollDelta" was set. In the new Xorg (or synaptics possibly), "VertEdgeScroll" has to be set to "on" implicitly.

I hope this solves someone else's issue, if anyone else had the mysterious "Suddenly disabled scrolling" or SDS syndrome.

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#4 2008-10-24 18:06:43

gummibaerchen

How about "the new xorg-server doesn't need any xorg.conf at all"?

I mean, I haven't had a xorg-conf for like a year, and the touchpad basics worked fine.

But now it doesn't work at all. Any chance to get it working without a bloated Xorg.conf? Only adding Synaptics part wouldn't work, would it?

#5 2008-10-30 16:13:28

LeoSolaris

gummibaerchen wrote:

How about "the new xorg-server doesn't need any xorg.conf at all"?

I mean, I haven't had a xorg-conf for like a year, and the touchpad basics worked fine.

But now it doesn't work at all. Any chance to get it working without a bloated Xorg.conf? Only adding Synaptics part wouldn't work, would it?

It might, all I can say is try it. I only have all of this because my hardware is strange and touchy. I had a lot of modifications to it, (like the scrolling and the circular scroll features) as well as a specific mod to put my resolution at it's proper max. (X.org still hates to automatically detect my proper resolution.) I simply ported it over ot Arch when I moved from Ubuntu. It was easier that way.

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#6 2008-10-30 16:25:19

gummibaerchen

Well, just putting in Synaptics related stuff doesn't work.

But I wouldn't put my monitors in there once again ever wink

Board footer