You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-10 11:48:00

dauphin

agpgart

I installed AL for the first time yesterday (0.5 via FTP) and successfully got to a point where X and Gnome running pretty well.  I compiled the kernel from source.

Today I used pacman to add xscreensaver and now X refuses to start, saying there is no agpgart support.  I tried removing xscreensaver but this didn't help. I have revisited the kernel configuration but did not find an option for agpgart - did I miss it or is it built in as standard?

If there is no agpgart support in my kernel should I be able to load it as a module?  I spent a couple of fruitless hours yesterday trying to load the NIC tulip module but always got a string of errors.  That's why I ended up compiling my own kernel - after including tulip support in the kernel I had no more bother. 

I've found a few references on Google to an agpgart problem with the Intel 810 chipset and I wonder if I've fallen foul of this.

Thanks for any pointers.

#2 2003-07-10 15:05:09

dauphin

Re: agpgart

Well I found the agpgart option in the kernel, but as I somehow suspected, I had already included it.  So I'm trying to understand why I'm getting this error message when trying to start X.

#3 2003-07-10 21:03:25

hApy
Website

hmmm well maybe one option might be to backup your config file, and then get xf86 to 'detect' settings and create its own config file. (I think there may be a couple ways to do this, but I'm not at a linux box right now so I can't check... look in the manpages) Then try and run it again, that way you may find out whether or not it has something to do with your XF86CONFIG file.

another good idea is to look at the output when you run startx as well as the logfile that will be in /var/log and it may have more details (I'm not sure where you've looked so far) also using "dmesg" or your startup logfiles also in /var/log should show you any agpgart errors at startup. Although I remember up until 2.4.21 I was always having agpgart fail on boot because my chipset was not supported, but I was still able to run XF86 fine.

anyways good luck with it, somebody else may know more specific reasons for your problems. (Another small possibility is that ther was just a new XF86 package released yesterday, are you sure it didn't happen when that got upgraded? I'm not sure what exactly was changed, it was only a new package of the same version of XFree86)

Hapy.

#4 2003-07-10 21:23:44

dauphin

Thanks for the reply.

I have solved the problem - but feeling rather stupid at the cause.  I was having trouble getting lilo sorted out, so was using a boot floppy and my kernel configuration was not being loaded.  As soon as I got lilo running properly the problem went away.  Ah well, we learn by our mistakes!

#5 2003-07-11 00:08:42

hApy
Website

hehe, I know the feeling, glad you figured it out. smile

Hapy.

#6 2004-01-17 12:28:24

Zym0tiC
Website

noarch wrote:

I have the same problem. I installed arch yesterday, then X worked (I used Icewm) and I configure my internet connection. I restart the computer, and X fails because of the agpgart. I have an Intel i810 video card. I tried doing another xf86config but it didn't work. The buddy here solve his problem, can anybody tell me what I have to do?
Thanks, and sorry about my english (I'm chilean  :twisted: )
Seeya.

Try to compile agpgart and the right driver as a module and not as part of the kernel. This worked for me

Board footer