You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-10 21:12:35

hApy
Website

firebird/mozilla client gluttony

I often am watching movies and browsing the web at the same time (gf4 second output is to my tv).. and almost every link I click on causes a stutter in the video. Is there any way to avoid this? I think I currently have my firebird startup script running firebird with a lower priority (I forget specifically which) but it is still happening. And it's not even like my cpu is topping off or anything because when I watch with 'top' or something it's still only taking a few percent of the cpu. Anyways any suggestions would be appreciated. I am also running a low-latency patched 2.4.21 kernel.

Hapy.

#2 2003-07-10 21:34:41

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: firebird/mozilla client gluttony

How are your hdparms?  I know they don't direclty correlate to the problem, but I've found with any sort of high-speed streaming (movies) that dma, irq_masking, etc play a very important role.  Without something like that, my dvd playing on a 1.13GHz laptop is jumpy... with it, it's smoooooooooth.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-07-11 00:05:50

hApy
Website

Re: firebird/mozilla client gluttony

hey good idea, I'll have to play around with it some.

Hapy.

Board footer