You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-21 20:06:04

tor

Gnome 2.8 and gnome-volume-manager

Has anybody got this to work? Could my installation be broken.

I can't get g-v-m working.

I run the 2.6.8.1 kernel
I have installed udev acording to the archlinux wiki. udev seems to be working fine. Devices gets created when i plug in diffrent usb devices.
I have installed the testversion of Gnome 2.8 and almost everything else is working fine.
I have installed dbus, hal and g-v-m
i added dbus and hal services to be started at boot

What else should i do? Do i have to do any modifications to /etc/fstab or anything like that?

When i plug something in nothing happens. Sometimes the device show up in hal-device-manager sometimes not. And sometimes partially. (Ie when connecting an USB-disk i get the disk listed but not the partitions.)

Perhaps there is a need for a Archlinux-HOWTO on this issue?

#2 2004-09-21 21:26:27

patrix

Re: Gnome 2.8 and gnome-volume-manager

in gnome 2.6 none of my CDs got mounted till I went in the desktop prefs for "CD and DVD" I think, and activated the "mount disks automatically when inserted". I haven't tried 2.8 yet.

#3 2004-09-22 06:47:09

Blaasvis

try killing it and starting it in the console.
It will spew his troubles wink

Freedom is what i love

#4 2004-09-22 19:15:24

tor

An update on this issue.

I started gnome-volume-manager on the command line. (Strangely this one isn´t started upon login)

First thing i noted was that my fstab was wrong. It wanted mount points for my cd/dvd drives in the form /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd. Mine where set to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 and /dev/cdroms/cdrom1.

When changing my fstab. CDs started working.

My USB devices is a whole other issue :-(

I have tested with two diffrent devices. One cheap usb disk and one usb memory stick from Sandisk (both usb2 devices)

Inserting either of them results in a

libhal.c 823 : Error sending msg: No property info.capabilities on device with id

from g-v-m and after that hal stops responding (hald is still running though). I have to restart it to get it working again.

Dito output from hald run from the command line

hald_dbus.c:121 raise_no_such_property() : No property info.capabilities on device with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_781_5150_10_-1_SNDK2DF5A43179800204

So either my devices aren't recognized or otherwise there is some form of bug in hal.

Anyone else having these problems with USB devices?

#5 2004-09-22 23:15:16

aCoder
Website

Are your USB disks in fstab?  I had to add mine to get them automagically mounted.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#6 2004-09-23 09:11:46

tor

aCoder wrote:

Are your USB disks in fstab?  I had to add mine to get them automagically mounted.

Yes i have them added. According to the devices that udev correctly creates. 

Does anybody know where i can find the PKGBULDs from testing? More specific, the ones for gnome and hal.

The version of HAL in arch is 0.2.97 which is a month old. 0.2.98 was "released" the 20th. And there seems to have happened a great deal.

Board footer