You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-26 18:50:58

mhd

Firefox freezes, probably related to audio issues

I've got a problem that doesn't seem to be all that uncommon, yet none of the fixes posted here or on other distribution's sites has helped me this far.

I'm using mpd for playback, configured to use ALSA's dmix. So far it all seems to work out fine, I can stream multiple audio files using any combination of mpd, moc, mpg321 and alsaplayer. Yet firefox itself often freezes during flash playback. With the current setup, it doesn't happen from the start, but e.g. after changing to another video in youtube, the whole browser freezes up when it's trying to load that video. If I un-pause my mpd, it can't connect, so it seems that firefox is having some problems with the audio devices. Once I kill firefox, playback resumes.

The packages are:
firefox 2.0.0.12-2
flashplugin 9.0.115.0-2
mpd 0.13.1-2

and the rest is generally synchronized with the Arch repository. Starting firefox with "aoss firefox" doesn't help either.

asound.conf looks like this:

# ~/.asoundrc:

pcm.dsp0 {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmix"
}

ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
}

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmix"

Any tips on how to resolve this?

#2 2008-02-26 19:00:52

kumico
Website

Re: Firefox freezes, probably related to audio issues

sounds like fx/flash is trying to lock on to the device.
try installing libflashsupport, it worked for me in the past.
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php

#3 2008-02-27 10:19:11

mhd

Nope, just installing the package doesn't help, and creating a whole pulseaudio setup seems a bit like overkill. Anyway, the latest Firefox release haven't been the most stable in my experience (nevermind whether it's Windows, Mac or Linux), so I might try as well some other browsers while I'm at it. Up 'til now I haven't been able to provoke Kazehakase into freezing, although it uses the same engine and plugins...

#4 2008-03-10 07:44:01

Bob-Hur

I got some good ideas from this discussion, thanks! I commented out the MPD daemon, restarted and tested, and no more lockup of Firefox. I'll just use Banshee, it isn't as light and slick as sonata+mpd, but it will do fine for what I need.

Thanks guys!

#5 2008-11-03 16:24:25

Damnshock

This really helped, thanks guys.

Damnshock

My blog: blog.marcdeop.com
Jabber ID: damnshock@jabber.org

Board footer