You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-10 11:07:52

dninja
Website

amarok won't connect to a remote mysql server

I'm trying to get amarok to connect to a remote mysql server but it constantly fails.

I've checked the credentials I've given it through the command line and the mysql client can connect ok. If I point amarok at a local mysql server it works ok.

There is no problem with the network link between the two machines.

Anyone any guesses at what the problem could be?

Version 1.4.10

#2 2008-10-10 23:48:52

mvdvarrier

Re: amarok won't connect to a remote mysql server

dninja wrote:

I'm trying to get amarok to connect to a remote mysql server but it constantly fails.

I've checked the credentials I've given it through the command line and the mysql client can connect ok. If I point amarok at a local mysql server it works ok.

There is no problem with the network link between the two machines.

Anyone any guesses at what the problem could be?

Version 1.4.10

Hello,
I have following suggestions.
1) Please check /etc/my.conf of the mysql server PC. Look for entries like "skip-networking" or "bind"bind-address=127.0.0.1". Comment out  "skip-networking" line if present. Change
"bind-address = 127.0.0.1" to "bind-address = to your ip address". Then restart mysql server by issuing  "/etc/rc.d/mysqld restart" command as root.
2) Please check firewall settings of both server and client machines that may block port 3306 of mysql server
3) Please ensure that you have issued following command in the mysql prompt as root
#mysql -u root -p
Then in the mysql prompt;
->grant all on your_database.* to your_user@"your_network/net_mask" identified by "your_password";
->flush privileges;
->quit
Please substitute your own values in the concerned fields.
Please provide your values in the Settings-> Configure Amarok -> Collection -> Database fields of client PC
I think these steps will solve your problems! Wish U good luck!!!
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

#3 2008-10-11 16:40:56

dninja
Website

Thanks for the advice but as I tried to say, from the client pc I can use the command line mysql client to connect to the mysql server using the account I've given amarok. The mysql side is working ok, it seems to be an issue with amarok/libraries.

I'm wondering if amarok is using the named pipe to connect to mysql on the localhost but then trying to do a network connection to the remote server, this would explain the situation. I'll do some packet sniffing and see if it is trying to make a connection.

#4 2008-11-04 15:01:12

dninja
Website

Finally found the problem. The database user that amarok uses needs to have create temporary tables permission, without it it doesn't do database updates correctly. I give all db users minimal permissions by default so I just had to open the security up a bit.

#5 2008-11-04 21:51:42

mvdvarrier

dninja wrote:

Finally found the problem. The database user that amarok uses needs to have create temporary tables permission, without it it doesn't do database updates correctly. I give all db users minimal permissions by default so I just had to open the security up a bit.

Dear Sir,
Please explain step by step!
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

#6 2008-11-04 22:15:33

dninja
Website

you need to make sure that the database user that you are using for amarok has the create temporary tables permission, you can do that from the command line with this command.

grant create temporary tables on amarok.* to amarok@localhost;

Make sure you substitute your username and database name.

Board footer