You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-31 17:53:37

OneEyedPimp

Pro Arch rant!

Hello everybody!

I have been a linux user for many years, and I have always loved it even though all the other distrobutions have given me headaches in one form or another. Then I found Arch, and I have thrown my excedrin out the window! I have been using Arch Linux for the better part of a year and I recommend it to eveyone that I meet. The concept of the system is just so mind blowing to me, from the awesome package manager to the way all of the config, for the most part, is centralized in /etc/rc.conf! I think our wiki is the best one on the internet, and these forums are just awesome. There has not been anything that I have not been able to get to work in Arch. IT JUST PLAIN WORKS!

Anyway sorry for the rant, I have been playing around in VMware trying out some different distros and even some different OSes, like PC-BSD, and in every one there was glaring problems with them from speed issues, to graphics issues, to configurability issues. In my opinion Arch makes the most sense. What can I do to help the Arch community grow and continue to thrive? I never want to see arch fade into obscurity!

Levi

Last edited by OneEyedPimp (2008-10-31 17:53:47)

#2 2008-10-31 18:40:31

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Re: Pro Arch rant!

how to contribute:

Step one:
Pick one or more:
- from http://projects.archlinux.org/
- from http://bugs.archlinux.org/
- become a tu or dev

Step two:
- Subscribe to relevant mailing list(s) http://www.archlinux.org/mailman/listinfo

Step three:
- contribute patches, code, packages, fixes, whatever

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#3 2008-10-31 19:33:54

bluewind
Administrator
Website

Step four:
- help people with their problems (IRC, Forum, ...)

#4 2008-10-31 20:24:31

pauldonnelly

Actually, I think this is more of a rave than a rant.

#5 2008-10-31 20:29:10

Cyrusm

This would be a good one for the "Arch is the Best" thread.

and I honestly couldn't agree with you more!

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#6 2008-11-01 00:17:37

iphitus
Forum Fellow

5, profit?

You can complete those steps in any order you want.

#7 2008-11-04 04:46:18

OneEyedPimp

Thanks guys! I will definitely try to help as much as possible, to pull my weight a bit more. Haha. Just out of curiosity, how does one become a Tu or Dev?

#8 2008-11-04 08:56:25

Heller_Barde

cool, that you found your distro of choice big_smile

on another note...
We heard so many Pro Arch rants lately, it's getting boring, can't someone bring a complete OpenSuSe/Fedora/Ubuntu/Whatever noob in to give us an entertaining Anti-Arch Rant? Pleeease? tongue lol

cheers Barde

PS: no, really ^^

#9 2008-11-04 21:54:56

ferral-cat

Okay I can oblige with anti-arch rant seeing as I am coming from Xubuntu 8.04 and using linux for about a year and now using Arch for 2 days. 

1)  There are not as many software titles in the repo as Ubuntu has.  I had to compile "Kompozer" and that was no fun even using Yaourt and it took FOREVER.  I intensely dislike compiling because I gotta hold my breath never know if it will complete successfully or not.  And when make install doesnt work chances are nobody on any forum can help you. 

2)  To install my Brother MFC-240C all-in-one I had to follow a very cryptic wiki and it took me 20 minutes before I had it working compared to Ubuntu printer wizard that installed it in 3 clicks (Choose this...Next...Next)

3)  I would feel embarassed to ask a very basic question here and would probably rather ask it at the Ubuntu forum.  Example:

"I get error with [name of app] if I do not launch it as sudo.  How can I make this app launch automatically and not prompt me for a pw?"

"How can I make my clock also show the date in XFCE?"

4)  It's an deb and rpm world, folks.  Let's face it.  Its always:

"Ubuntu users click here" 

"Fedora users click here" 

"Everyone else click here > 404 Page not Found"

That being said I got me an awesome Arch system up and running now and its FAST!!  And I even learned what "grep" means smile

#10 2008-11-05 00:05:42

thisperishedmin

I absolutely cannot agree with you more. I hope to get involved for real this time around. I used arch and moved on and have been missing it on and off since.

to the poster above, the worst thing you can do is feel dumb asking any question. I'm working with *nix ont he job and was always initially afraid to ask questions...but now I do everything I can to pick the brain of my coworkers and superiors...I feel I've been leraning better and faster this way.  I just cant see how asking something even basic is bad.  If you have questions on it - I'm sure someone else somewhere along the way will too.

Board footer