You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-05 02:43:15

vkumar

Something to help out maintainers

If you think about it, repo maintainers probably have to surf around a lot in order to update the projects they're responsible for.
That's why I'm writing a little program to automate fetching source code updates.

The idea is to create a database of projects and their respective download pages, and then parse them whenever you run the program. If the detected version of the source is newer than the last one fetched, it downloads and extracts the source for you (perhaps even beeps your pcspkr, if things get really fancy).

I've left room for a modular approach, e.g; extensions to handle certain archive types, or extensions to run makepkg for certain projects.

Originally, I thought I would create the database of projects myself, but I don't want someone to run the program and have it download a hundred different projects.. so.. I'll write a nice prompt that lets you do this yourself as painlessly as possible.

Whatever little I have is in Python as of now, and if there's any positive feedback, I'll finish and post it up here!

div curl F = 0

#2 2008-11-05 07:56:24

judfilm

Re: Something to help out maintainers

Sounds interesting. Anything to keep Arch updated and reduce the Devs workload would be welcomed.

#3 2008-11-05 22:59:56

vkumar

Re: Something to help out maintainers

Great!
I'll post a working version just as soon as the weekend comes.. Busy with school work at the moment.

I just scrapped my "homebaked" parser for the HTMLParser in the standard lib. That's already sped everything up a lot.
All in all, I've got high hopes big_smile.

div curl F = 0

Board footer