You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-05 21:43:17

Perre

Removed files still visible in folders and found by # locate

Hi!

I just removed freevo after some annoying problems that I just didn't have the time to sort out.
Anyways, after doing # sudo pacman -Rn I can still find several freevo files on my system. But
when I try to rm them I get a message that the file/folder can't be found.

This has happened to me with other stuff too. Why am I able to see the files in the folder when
arch is reporting them as missing when I try to remove them?

I really hate having a bunch of left over files on my system so I'd like to be able to completely
remove the apps I don't need anymore. smile

Last edited by Perre (2008-11-05 21:43:54)

#2 2008-11-05 22:10:22

string

Re: Removed files still visible in folders and found by # locate

1. `locate` will keep seeing the files until you update its database. Use /etc/cron.daily/updatedb if you want to "speed up" the database update process.

2. How are you "seeing" said files (except for using locate)? Are you performing `ls` in said folders?

#3 2008-11-05 22:10:32

pjjanak

You don't. You need to run

sudo updatedb

Then try locate smile. locate's database doesn't update automatically, so you have to do it manually every time there are changes. I'm sure there is a way to set it up to automatically update, but that's outside the scope of this problem.

Peter

#4 2008-11-06 10:43:19

Perre

Thanks for the replies! smile

string: With "Seeing" I mean browsing through folders using pcmanfm. After updating python to 2.6 the python2.5 folder still exists and I can access it's contents, but when I tried to rm it I got the "file/folder doesn't exist" message.

I'll try to updatedb and do a ls in said folder to see what I get. smile

Board footer