You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-06 12:14:56

Cene
Website

Two odd problems with X

Hi all,

I'm a long time Gentoo user and decided to give arch a try. So far I'm liking it. A lot.

I faced just two problems, both related to X, and can't for the death of me to figure them out.

1. I'm not able to use X as my normal user, just root. I've added myself to necessary groups (video), but without avail. When I use "startx" everything goes as it normally would to the point X should start up. The resolution changes and the screen goes blank for a while, then returning me to the tty. The console output and Xorg.0.log are both clean of errors, and it looks like X doesn't even know there's a problem.

As it works perfectly as a root, I'm guessing there's a permissions problem somewhere, but can't find out where. I even ran X through strace, but that didn't reveal anything (for me, at least) either.

EDIT: got this to work somehow, I've still no idea what I did.. As far as I know, just tried once again and it worked. Still struggling with problem 2 though.

2. I get weird crashes and artifacts with NvAGP 2 on xorg.conf. Screen doesn't update the image, mouse disappears, everything goes laggy, text disappears and so on.. The same xorg.conf worked fine on Gentoo, so the config file should be fine. I'm using an Nvidia FX5200 and the "nvidia-173xx" drivers. I still have to try rmmod agpgart and try running with NvAGP 1..
I don't really know what other information I should post about this, sorry. This isn't as critical as the first one though. :)

Thanks in advance,
Joeli

Last edited by Cene (2008-11-06 12:57:50)

#2 2008-11-06 13:14:36

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Two odd problems with X

Did you follow the steps on the wiki? Always worked for me and as far as I know the user doesn't need to be in any special group (you can have the user only in the users group .... maybe thats a requirement (?) )
As for the other .... no idea. I'm using an nvidia card too, a 6200Go on my laptop and the default XF86Config created by the nvidia-xconfig works just fine. Maybe you can try the steps everyone does to try and make things work and then tweak from there (thats what I do but I don't have much experience with linux anyway).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer