You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-06 01:53:26

Jimage

External USB Drive 'Disappears'

I have an external SATA drive connected via USB to my Arch box. Plugging it in for the first time after booting, it works fine as sdb until it's mounted and accessed for a short time. Eventually the device seems to deactivate, and then reactivate as sdc. After mounting one of its partitions again, and copying something to it, it deactivates once more and this time disappears for good. fdisk -l shows up no trace of it. After that the only way I've been able to make it work again is by rebooting.

Various places mention that power management may have something to do with this, but I have no idea where to look. Some help would be muchly appreciated.

Last edited by Jimage (2008-11-06 01:54:24)

#2 2008-11-06 23:12:51

von_Wanderlust

Re: External USB Drive 'Disappears'

I have this problem as well with my Freecom 320GB XXS usb drive. There is a hard click, usually after it has been writen to. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I can't use it until after I have rebooted. Trying to unmount gives a 'device busy' response, and trying to kill it with fuser doesn't work. This drive has a 'native usb interface' that makes it smaller than anything I have seen. I thought it may be a problem with how Freecom have implemented it.

If any one knows what is happening here, I'd love to know was well.

Board footer