You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-12 13:44:12

whitefort

Gnome accessibility/login sounds.

Hi.

I've been trying to set up sounds for initial login, in the Gnome login window.

System/Administration/Login Window has a tab of preferences for this, where you can set sounds for "Login screen ready", "Login successful" and "Login failed"

At first, this didn't work, until I found a Wiki reference that explained I needed to have 'sox' installed.

I installed it, and now the 'Login accepted' and 'Login failed' sounds work, but I'm still just getting a system beep for 'Login screen ready.'

Since the sounds are in my home folder, I thought it might be some sort of permissions thing, but I've changed the permissions and it didn't fix the problem.

I'm sure this is just some stupid little error on my part, but I'm not sure how to fix it - any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

#2 2008-11-06 10:11:03

whitefort

Re: Gnome accessibility/login sounds.

Just a bump, to re-ask the question - I still haven't figured it out.

#3 2008-11-06 11:49:32

pelle.k

# Program used to play sounds.  Should not require any 'daemon' or anything
# like that as it will be run when no one is logged in yet.
SoundProgram=
# If SoundOnLogin is true, then the greeter will beep when login is ready for
# user input.  If SoundOnLogin is a file and the greeter finds the 'play'
# executable (see daemon/SoundProgram) it will play that file instead of just
# beeping.
#SoundOnLogin=true
SoundOnLoginFile=

Did you set both SoundProgram= and SoundOnLoginFile= ?
And, if you made adjustments you need to either restart gdm daemon, or notify gdmflexiserver about the change. If you don't you'll not see the change until you restart your system.

BTW, why don't you paste your gdm.conf-custom?

Last edited by pelle.k (2008-11-06 11:50:57)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#4 2008-11-06 16:57:15

whitefort

Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

After a bit of messing about, I've now got a 'please identify yourself' voice instead of a beep when the log-in window appears.

It's not perfect yet... It works fine if the login details are correct, (it says 'accepted') but if the details are wrong then it plays the 'access denied' sound *while* repeating the 'please identify yourself.'

I'm guessing that finding a way to create a 5-second delay between a failed login and the request to log in again won't be easy!

Another problem which is driving me nuts is that even though I've set a new Gnome startup sound, it mostly plays the default Gnome sound - but not always!  It's intermittent and driving me crazy trying to figure out why.

But this is why I like Arch... I'm a newbie, but Arch FORCES me to learn stuff - which is good!!

Still, you solved my immediate problem - Thanks again!

#5 2008-11-07 05:11:53

pelle.k

Well, it should be pointed out that gdm is a legacy (meaning old, and sort of outdated) part of gnome. The only reason the new GDM isn't built for a lot of new distros is that it just isn't mature enough yet. It'll probably be integrated by the next release (this is, however, only speculation, since it's up to the arch devs). Fedora already has got it since fedora 8.

EDIT: you might try a wrapper script that runs sox, but first waits for sox to quit another instance first. put this in /usr/local/bin/runsox;

#! /bin/sh

while [ -n "$(pidof sox)" ]; do
    sleep 1s
done

sox

remember to 'chmod +x' it! change soundprogram to "/usr/local/bin/runsox" obviously.
I havent tried it, but it might work.

Last edited by pelle.k (2008-11-07 05:29:21)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer