You are not logged in.

#26 2008-11-08 07:57:10

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Re: good html editor ?

elmer_42 wrote:

I've started using vim in the past few days. It's awesome, and as hard as it may seem at first, vimtutor really helps.

This might help to wink
http://usalug.org/vi.html

To the OP, have you tried nvu ?
http://net2.com/nvu/

[01:56:22 crouse]$ pacman -Ss nvu
community/nvu 1.0-2
    A Dreamweaver style WYSIWYG web editor

EDIT:
........ well don't I feel silly now.... NVU is now Komposer.  So, I guess the other suggestions of Komposer would be what I would suggest too..... It's been so many years since I used a wyswyg editor, that I didn't realize that nvu was no longer under active development.

http://net2.com/nvu/download.html
KompoZer
NVU 1.0, released in June 2005, is the last official release that you will find at most download sites, however, it isn't the newest or best version of the Nvu software. An unofficial bugfix/update called "KompoZer" is available here. KompoZer fixes some of the major bugs and annoyances found in Nvu 1.0. If you are using NVU 1.0 and it works for you, stick with it. But if you run into problems, give KompoZer a try and see if it helps.

... I learn something new every day.

Last edited by crouse (2008-11-08 08:10:06)

#27 2008-11-13 00:53:45

sokuban

eyolf wrote:
bluewind wrote:

HTML doesn't really need anything expect good highlighting.

I'd say it does: a good set of macros so that one can type, e.g., <ah and get <a href="<++>"></a> with the cursor in the correct place for the href value, and then jumping between the tags with <tab>. I'm referring to the html package in vim here.

Wow this sounds really good, where could I get it/do I already have it? How does it work?

#28 2008-11-13 01:47:33

eyolf
Website

http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=453

is the one I use, but there are others, if that one doesn't suit your
needs.

#29 2008-11-13 01:49:54

shazeal

Vim is where its at, I get very confused when I have to use other text editors now, usually ends up with something like "yypyyp:wq!" inserted at random places roll

I personally prefer the GUIified versions of vim, but its great when using SSH to be able to use a full text editor, I use it quite often to update HTML/PHP stuff, finding a good set of colours you like is the hard part wink

#30 2008-11-13 01:56:43

eyolf
Website

shazeal wrote:

Vim is where its at, I get very confused when I have to use other text editors now, usually ends up with something like "yypyyp:wq!" inserted at random places roll

You could save yourself two keypresses and write "yypp:wq!" instead smile

#31 2008-11-13 09:50:31

moljac024

eyolf wrote:
shazeal wrote:

You could save yourself two keypresses and write "yypp:wq!" instead smile

He probably wasn't yanking the same line twice, but two different lines.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#32 2008-11-13 10:31:03

shazeal

Yeah I use the arrow keys, I love everything else but the whole hjkl to move around just does not work for me wink

#33 2008-11-13 10:35:23

ArchArael

I also recommend vim + html.vim.

You can find it here: http://www.infynity.spodzone.com/vim/HTML/

I use it for web developing and I'm really happy with it. wink

shazeal wrote:

Yeah I use the arrow keys, I love everything else but the whole hjkl to move around just does not work for me wink

Strange. That's one of the most comfortable vim's features IMHO. Fingers always on home row is just unbeatable. smile

Last edited by ArchArael (2008-11-13 10:38:27)

#34 2008-12-11 08:27:37

Jerry

emacs + nxml: if it's purely xhtml.
emacs + nxhtml: If you're going to be using code snippets of php, python, etc.  There's also a support for css and javascript.

#35 2008-12-14 17:47:10

googlah

Vi(m) +1 here too.. It's also colorized, so you see the tags in different colors. Or nano, pico, emacs. There is a bunch. Haven't got along with Vim though, although I should start using it more often.

#36 2012-12-24 16:24:31

Stack

Ruckus wrote:

Geany is the best IMO.

In 2012 Geany is unable to support national encodings for arbitrary files. I must open file, choose encoding, close file, again open file. Now it is properly encoded and displayed. Several other HTML development tools or text editors have the same issue. Medit is the case. GEdit is the case (if in a file manager right click open only).

Bluefish seems to be good. But still it is buggy. If a file is a part, consistent part of html, if it was directly selected "document type -> HTML", it is unable to properly highlight syntax. Partially all good, and a parts are with broken highlight.

Komposer, build from AUR. It seems to be not bad. But it is unable to set an encoding for an arbitrary files. So it is useless. It will properly encode full HTML file, but not simple text files. Something related to encodings list is broken.

May be Kate is good, but it depends on KDE desktop shadow parts. If one do not use Eclipse + Aptana, he may prefer also not to spend resources on KDE desktop services.

Quanta seems to be my choice (on another distro it was great for me). It will not bring with it too much KDE parts. At the moment I have succesfully built Quanta package from AUR. But there is no 'quanta' binary inside. Which is described in several topics:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=149422
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=56114
It seems the editor is unavailable, the project is not live.

There are some hard weight IDE for web development. They may be a good HTML editors, but they are intended to be used as not an editor only.

Looking for good and lightweght HTML IDE. :/

Last edited by Stack (2012-12-24 16:25:54)

#37 2012-12-24 16:44:13

ewaller
Administrator

Hey stack:  Your post is okay, it is version agnostic and contributes to the ancient thread.  Just be aware that four years later, it is possible the original thread participants may not be watching any longer.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#38 2012-12-24 17:47:57

der_joachim
Website

For pure HTML editing, just use your favorite text editor. I love vim and apparently, I am not the only one.

Geek, runner, motorcyclist and professional know-it-all

Board footer